It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:52 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:25 pm 

The GameTap revival of Uru was a long shot already. And it wouldn't have been helpful to go through UU with the intention of trying to sell the idea to publishers.

I hate to say it, but in all likelihood, this is where Uru ends. Even if a publisher wanted to bring it back in spite of its two earlier failures, open sourcing it completely will make it unappealing to publishers who care about having control of the intellectual property. As much as I love seeing software become open source, it's not much of a profitable path. This is Cyan saying something of a goodbye to their project.

Get back into the Cavern, have fun with others, make fun things. That's all that really matters, I say.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:29 pm 
Obduction Backer

TomahnaGuy wrote:
mszv wrote:
TomahnaGuy, I don't think we should worry about making an Uru that will be a potential money maker. I think that if there are people are in Uru, enjoying themselves, and people are making ages - that's the important thing. If Uru gets the attention of someone, fine, but that's not what's important. The important thing is to be able to get back into the cavern.

Is it?

The way I always understood it was that Uru needed to be a money making thing in order for Cyan to be properly funded to provide us with new content. Having the cavern and being in Uru is a result of that. A result, albeit that has half been achieved, but we're not there yet. Our ultimate aim with MystOnline should still be to make Uru a profitable entity for Cyan and by effect us, by the means which we've now been given.

TG

I agree, but I think the two aims can go together. Cyan has done a great amount for the fans, and it would be mean to not at least try to pay them back. But the best and most agreeable URU's is the happy and vibrant community.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:30 pm 

Or Cyan could open source it for a publisher to look at more in depth. Then zip it up again with a new PRP version and new ages. Uru is never truly dead, so long as it has interest. ;)

TG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:34 pm 

I agree with TG. We got freedom now. Cyan Worlds said they may one day come back, if something turns from BMU (uru).

Some said Cyan Worlds let uru out, knowing it will never come back. It may be true. But saying "nothing can be done" is saying "there's no reason to live anymore, because I'll die one day anyway".

Beside us enjoying the game, we can help Cyan Worlds. If we want the real uru, it can be done. We want to make a bigger game, and now we CAN make a bigger game. Cyan Worlds said that they may return (obviously meaning when the game is more popular).

Some may see that as giving up on uru, but I can see that as finally letting us push. We can help Cyan Worlds, we can make the real game return, with our content and cyan content, our storyline and cyan official storyline. Here, we can show others what uru can be, if cyan worlds had more resources to put on it.

So instead of thinking of the actions as giving uru away and preparing to die, I'm thinking of them as pushing uru and preventing death.

The only question is: when will the game go on?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:37 pm 

I think we're overlooking the obvious here. The ultimate aim is to have fun.

KI# 00140468

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:38 pm 

^ What he said. There's much to be done first before we begin thinking too far ahead. Although its always good to keep on top of it (hence this thread) ;)

TG

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2