It is currently Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:11 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 453 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 31  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:15 am 

After July 31st, I'll have all the time in the world to help as I am laid off and looking for retirement.
It was just revealed to me the code was 1,5,2,3,4,6 wait a minute I think that was Rand's pizza vault code or was that King Kadish vault code. Hummm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:34 am 
Obduction Backer

IT guessh thate thec requiredo skillsd wille bei abouts using7 find2 and4 replace.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:51 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
nvr2old wrote:

You know you've spent too much time in Uru when... you've got the vault code memorized. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:32 pm 

Chogon wrote:
...Cyan has been working with another company on something (slightly but completely) different.

A project that is both 'slightly' and 'completely' different to opensource Uru? Is that some kind of Zen? :lol:

MOUL:
CyclinGuy KI# 8385203
Skydiver CyclinGuy KI# 10298312

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:08 pm 

New Crowthistle ages? They'd count as slightly (as they're made with the Uru/Plasma toolkit) but completely (not Uru at all) different...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:20 pm 
Obduction Backer

Oh, dear. It has been a long time since I have had fun parsing the sayings of Chogon.

"slightly but completely different"

What on earth does that mean? Alike in some ways, perhaps superficially, but different in underlying essence? An aspect of the same basic thing that has not heretofore been part of the discussion? About Uru but NOT open source? About open source but NOT Uru? About the development of some D'ni related game that is not part of the Atrus story cycle? About some unrelated game that nevertheless partakes of a similar creative ethos as the Myst series? Not a game at all but some other kind of entity entirely? Like a 3-D online environment created in the same artistic spirit as prior Cyan work? Or the movie? Or A movie? My mind's boggling muscles have been cramped and underused. Is it OK to stretch them just a little? May we dare to speculate? :wink:

Can anybody stop us? 8)

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:58 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: First trailer to the right, and straight down till morning.
Kerryth wrote:
About some unrelated game that nevertheless partakes of a similar creative ethos as the Myst series?

If I was a betting man, that's where my money would be. It makes sense from the stand point of a publisher. I imagine that Myst is a bit of a jinx at the moment in the minds of the publishing community, probably in no small part due to the recent Gametap closure of Uru. But at the same time, the quality that Cyan produces is enticing.

While I very much hope they will be able to one day return to the franchise that brought them into being, I look forward to seeing what they can produce outside of Myst. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:06 pm 
Obduction Backer

My guess is a smaller 3rd party thing akin to Crowthistle, with ages developed by Cyan and using Plasma, but the story written by someone else. If story.. Crowthistle didn't count as having one for known reasons.

Generally, since CyanTest all but folded they'd be contracting out their expertiese building worlds, hence the company name. In turn, anyone hiring them would do it to save money/time/effort making worlds etc. And considering the market and we haven';t heard anything super major it's a smaller game thing or promo item to go with.. some good cash for Cyan after a bit of work, and a lot of hassle gone for whomever. Of course they can't talk until it's released but that's just how it goes.

On a forum where a fanbase waits..
Promises and theories of a game abound.

Little do they know the fate of the code rests in the hands of one man.
He is.. the Lost Cyantist!

:P
Likely considering the 'something else' and that Chogon isn't ready to mention it it has to do with one of the assorted items in the code involviong a copyrighted thing like say the Bink SDK or something similar, involving modifications to get around restrictions for compiling because we don't have the sdk and Cyan can't redistribute it, instead having to limit to static links to dlls. The wait then is because only he know it in enough detail to work it free. Or something. I'm guessing here but it makes some sense.

Sure Cyan's a shy company, and that's ok, but just make sure you guys break out of that shyness periodically and talk to us.. even if to say you have a project in the works you can't give details on (like you did) or you signed a big new contract and are bringing in staff, or cutbacks are forcing a few staff to go sadly, or you got a tattoo of a bahro on your arm, or whatever. (the last would be cool, heh)

MOULa KI: #00027582 #7425022
100% Authentic Gondar! Accept no substitutes, imitations, or knock-offs!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:24 am 
Obduction Backer

Gondar wrote:
On a forum where a fanbase waits..
Promises and theories of a game abound.

Little do they know the fate of the code rests in the hands of one man.
He is.. the Lost Cyantist!

This needs to become a movie trailer, really

KI#00001498
Officially bonked R.E.B.E.L.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:53 am 

lol yes, "The Lost Cyanist"!

~Yeesha~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:08 am 

Chogon wrote:
Karkadann wrote:
Would it be considered out of place to inquire what code changes need to be made, and assume someone else in the community might be able to help.

It has less to do with something technical and more to do with, well, something else.

Thanks,
Chogon

OH I GET IT Chogon is leaving us with a puzzle to keep us busy while we wait.
OK so we have eliminated technical issues what other possibilities are their, not knowing much about web sites and virtual worlds im kinda stumped. Can any of you guys think of anything?

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:26 am 
Obduction Backer

Chogon wrote:
I am *still* waiting for a particular ex-Cyan person to send me code changes that only he can make.

We can help with that.. All we need is a couple infos:his name, address, and known physical weaknesses. ;)

Seriously though, thank you for the quick update Chogon, and tell that particular person we all wait eagerly for his work, and we'll all be happy campers when it comes. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:32 pm 
Obduction Backer

aloys wrote:
Chogon wrote:
I am *still* waiting for a particular ex-Cyan person to send me code changes that only he can make.

We can help with that.. All we need is a couple infos:his name, address, and known physical weaknesses. ;)

Seriously though, thank you for the quick update Chogon, and tell that particular person we all wait eagerly for his work, and we'll all be happy campers when it comes. ;)

Yea, weekness? Hmm... Donuts? Pizza? Cookies? Just let us know where and we can take care of it :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:29 pm 

Pizza?? Home made deep dish or regular, with a sauce made from backyard tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, and all the toppings you can imagine or none at all.

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:51 pm 

aloys wrote:
Chogon wrote:

I think it's possibly for reasons like these that they were so reticent about posting an update...

Of course, the average Forum lurker doesn't know about any such subtleties so they just demand information...

By the way, I was thinking more along the lines of "kneecaps;" big sticks are free - pizzas, I gotta pay for those :o

:wink:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 453 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 31  Next