It is currently Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:51 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 453 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 31  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:09 am 

Something along the lines of Kneecaps and big sticks is usually a last resort, besides and I can make one heck of a pizza I think I got the Recipe on the Guild of Caterers site somewhere.

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

Post subject: First Time, Long Time
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:20 am 

It would dishearten me greatly if Cyan didn't actually *own* all of the code and apps that were used.
As I hope the non-technical issues are not legal ones, because those tend to take the longest to sort out in my experience. GoMa Wiki sounds like a great appeteaser while I wait. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:27 am 
Obduction Backer

Jormungandr wrote:
It would dishearten me greatly if Cyan didn't actually *own* all of the code and apps that were used.

Then you will be disheartened because they don't *own* all of the code and apps that were used.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:58 pm 

So I guess we are back to one of the original questions with a bit more info.

Is their any way we can help Cyan get the Code and apps needed to open up Uru Live besides waiting quietly

It seems we do have a puzzle to explore after all. But instead of journey clothes to complete an age. We need code and apps to open source Uru live

E=mc2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:39 pm 
Obduction Backer

Karkadann wrote:

Is their any way we can help Cyan get the Code and apps needed to open up Uru Live besides waiting quietly

It seems we do have a puzzle to explore after all. But instead of journey clothes to complete an age. We need code and apps to open source Uru live

It seems pretty clear to me that there's nothing we can do at this point if there's not even anything Cyan can do but wait.

MOULa KI #32712
MOULa KI #23298
MOUL KI #35129
D'mala KI #74265
Gehn KI #10113

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:53 pm 

I thought maybe if we looked at it like just another puzzle with rewards for solving it someone in the community may come up with an alternative solution.

E=mc2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:01 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Karkadann wrote:

One need only read Chogon's posts to get answers to your questions:

Chogon wrote:
After [the work by the ex-Cyan person] is done, I may ask for some help from a few chosen individuals to help with readying the sources further.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:39 pm 

Who said he was talking about us? he didn't say which "individuals".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:07 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

It's simple. If you can help, you'll know about it. Once it is open source anyone and everyone can help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:42 am 

am i really the only one who finds the whole "dependence on independence" thing kind of self defeating ?

many, if not most, of us at one time or another has had a desire or thought to help Cyan along with the URU thing here. Yet the answer is always the same. Cyan would rather dwindle to a meager shell than to get more people involved in one of it's "babies".

yes, yes, yes, it is all way too complicated for us to understand why we cannot help, And far beyond human comprehension why a grand idea lays dormant while so many wish to do something with it. Don't forget the whole -it has been a long series of bad luck and nothing to do with players that has led us to where we are today.

any other current or future cliche answers to this mystery?

back to waiting........................................................................................................................................................>>>

KI#283599

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:24 pm 

Not necessarily a "dependence on independence" thing as much as a "Where still interested and not sure how to express it anymore "Thing

E=mc2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:21 pm 

I have to agree with the stranger.......Who say's it's the average joe individual. A.K.A. us.

That statement more or less means as I read it, any of the half dozen people that gave Cyan workable UU patches and or D'mala patches. And that is a wildly optimistic take on the matter. :lol: It's no skin off my nose that I am not "in" on that since I have not seriously poked my nose under Uru's hood till this last year. If you don't program then there is nothing really similar to use to describe getting source code ready with except the general vauge notions most people have on Age Creation. If you do make small programs Uru is probably a hundred times more complicated then the blackjack or solitare program you wrote for a college programming class.

In order of difficulty

Playing Uru -> Making Ages for Uru -> Programming Uru

@ Soup_Fork
I personally feel Cyan could do nothing better then once Uru is released open source not touch it for at least a year except in case of dire emergency. Most people want to "Help" with only the most vauge notion of the amount of work involved in doing so. Cyan has made bad mistakes, Cyan has commited some blunders, but knowing all the behinds the scenes stuff and being real working professionals didn't let them save Uru and make it a sucess. Give them the time to do things right getting Uru propped back up again, it's frustratingly dull but it is the best most of us can do.

If we get a stock MOUL setup as promised no one's going to "see" any more ways to help right off the bat then MOUL had. The real question is with all the ways people could have "Helped" in MOUL's framework can we as a community do things better then Cyan could.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:33 pm 
Obduction Backer

I know I may sound like a dunce with this being my second post and all...

This is going completely on my limited knowledge...
Didn't Cyan develop Until Uru as a stand in, until Uru Live was released?
I know this was back in the day...but if fans hosted the shards for that, what's to stop them from doing it again, given they kept all the data?
Do we simply need to hunt them down and get them to do so once more, or is it much more complex than that?

It would sure give us all something to do while we wait...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:26 pm 

UU is buggy and Cyan has said very strongly (for them) that it's not coming back. Personally you couldn't pay me to spend any meaningful length of time on a uu shard the problems back then were headaches if you ever had to endure them.

moul is so worth the frustratingly slow wait! :D

p.s. welcome to the community.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:04 am 
Obduction Backer

BlaiddDrwg wrote:
but if fans hosted the shards for that, what's to stop them from doing it again, given they kept all the data?

Two primary things:

1) Cyan is no longer explicitly allowing it, so legally it's a bit fuzzy.
2) Cyan ran the authentication servers used for logon, while the fans ran everything else. Without removing that requirement, it wouldn't be possible to use UU as it was, since those servers are no longer running.

There are obviously ways an industrious person can work around both of these issues, but these are the official roadblocks on the fan-side of things.

The optimal solution is waiting for the Myst Online Source, but that's taken longer than anyone planned...

MOULa KI #32712
MOULa KI #23298
MOUL KI #35129
D'mala KI #74265
Gehn KI #10113

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 453 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 31  Next