It is currently Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:27 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 453 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:31 pm 

Sure thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:11 pm 

You guys are all engaging in wishful thinking. Cyan cannot filter your content if they dont have the only server set, and thats what they intend to do. The guy said it twice.

When asked if they were releasing the server code, did he say "yes?" No he did not. He babbled more about having the community create content for THEM.

If you want to hold out for something that's never gonna happen, knock yourselves out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:28 pm 

jmdoggett wrote:
You guys are all engaging in wishful thinking. Cyan cannot filter your content if they dont have the only server set, and thats what they intend to do. The guy said it twice.

When asked if they were releasing the server code, did he say "yes?" No he did not. He babbled more about having the community create content for THEM.

If you want to hold out for something that's never gonna happen, knock yourselves out.

He said "Yes", and then, as he obviously cares for this community, he went on to explain why things are delayed, what they are doing, and what they would like to do in the future.

Cyan can filter the content they have on their game server. It's their game server, after all. That doesn't mean they are going to hold the only game server, just their own official game server. You're mis-reading "Content" as "game assets", whereas I believe Rand is thinking "Content" = "Code".

Looking through your previous posts, you do seem sincere in your desire to keep things running, but if you feel disillusioned by what was said at an informal chat (not a scripted Q&A session, not a released statement, just a chat), know that there is already (at least) one Open-Source Uru-Compatible server (With the non-ironic name "A Live-Compatible Uru Game Server") system out there. So even if Cyan doesn't release their server, there is an alternative that can be used instead.

You may be right in that we are engaged in wishful thinking. The technical term for it, especially in this community, is "Cautious Optimism", and thus far it has served us very well indeed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:30 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: First trailer to the right, and straight down till morning.
One thing I've learned with my time here is that nothing is guaranteed. And with any interpretation of Rand's comments, that rule still applies. Now I feel that you interpretation is incorrect, but that is my opinion. I have no hard facts to back that up. I respect that you have a differing opinion, and are entitled to it. I would hope that you can extend us the same courtesy.

Now if you truly believe that Open Source Uru will never come, then you need to move forward on that belief. At the moment, you seem to be stuck, trying to convince everyone of this belief, despite the fact that it will have no impact on your next move if you succeed. Which brings us to the final question, jmdoggett:

What is it you seek here?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:43 pm 

Nothing more. Since MOUL OS isn't happening, I'll have to take up the bits I started writing on my own and complete them. So, to one and all, farewell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:18 pm 

jmdoggett wrote:

Ok, thanks. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:49 pm 

wow, jmdogget, relax. You state your opinions as fact. Face it: you are wrong when you are so sure it will never come. Did Cyan Worlds say they will not do OS? no. What they did give was a clear statement of planning to release OS.

Your opinions, which you state as facts in such a big passion, are no more than taking several grumbles from a Q&A with Rand, and trying to form them as facts for you opinions.

The turth is: until we get official news on the situation, we can't know if it will come or if it won't. No one can say anything for sure yet. A person who is sure that Uru will come is too positive, and one who is sure Uru will not come (like you) is too negative. Non is good.

You can always analyze things and try to guess what would happen, but until we get official news, these are only guesses. People who are sure that Uru will come can be proven wrong if it won't, and people who are sure that Uru will not come (and yes, believe it or not, even YOU!) can be proven wrong if Uru will come up.

So please don't think we are kidding with ourselfs. Because up until now, you are the only one kidding with himself, trying to give us facts based on a Q&A (and a Q&A still isn't official news. Rand can say "they hope" to do things, but no one said they will. If they will ever make a decision, be sure to see it as an announcment).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:15 pm 

Looking at past history...
I interpret the same answers roughly like this.

History.
Cyan Worlds want's URU-live to exist. An alive cavern with activity is part of a good CV for them.
Hence the plan to reopen the cavern with the MORE project that would give the user base URU back before we are scattered. Hence the rush to release the rights to do that.
Uponfailure to launch MORE (with fan created addition the main selling point) the idea to take fan work one step further. If the fans want to do all or most of the work and the server costs. Do the fans wish to? Yes they do. Good then we can run an official shard with filtered content, hoping that this will be the most popular URU instance. That shard can be the next best thing. The prize is that there will be other shards, the direction over which Cyan has no control. But still if this project can be launched in spring 2009 we may hope that there is an alive userbase.
Now Open Source has failed to be released on the initial scedule. Hopes are that it will be and that Cyan can run an "official" shard supported by the guild affiliated userbase.
So in this light I mean to see his answers.

For my own part I see the delay as a severe drawback that could endanger the whole Open source commitment. If it appears that the userbase is gone by the time sources are ready, what is then in it for Cyan as a business.

This thing just won't happen by it self. It takes work on the part of Cyan, and there must be an interest for the work to be done. Even if it is not for profits in itself.
I just talk off course...

Maybe this MQ thing will give the URU-Myst story a new twist. It will be interesting to follow up on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:27 pm 

jmdoggett wrote:
Nothing more. Since MOUL OS isn't happening, I'll have to take up the bits I started writing on my own and complete them. So, to one and all, farewell.

Didn't you promise us that before? I, for one, look forward to your creations :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:32 pm 

It will be interesting to see how Cyan thinks this project can benefit from Open Source development if the tools to run it independently of Cyan aren't given.

That said, I don't really give a rip if the only server is Cyan's; that's where I'll be and I always wanted some direction to the project. At the very least, though, Mr. Miller didn't give a boost to the Open Source concept with his talk.

I really wouldn't mind if they're having second thoughts about licensing, after all it's their intellectual property and they don't want that associated with zany and crazy things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:35 pm 
Obduction Backer

Yeah, that committment from Rand Miller on open source Uru, pretty underwhelming, don't you think, given what he said at Mysterium.

My guess - at least a year, if at all. Something will always get in the way. That's my prediction. Let's hope I'm wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:20 pm 
Obduction Backer

So much sadness and frustration expressed here.

My own personal take is, the sum of Rand's words simply states that the business situation is fluid, they are in survival mode, and doing whatever is necessary, and essential, to keep their business door open. His wording some may call a hemhaw perhaps, but if understood I think seems to simply convey, nothing is set in cement. A reasonable, and understandable position, I think. Sometimes you are on a starboard tack, sometimes a port tack, to move forward against a business breeze, or at times have to turn and run before a full force gale to survive. Cyan may have to comeabout occasionally or often, change the direction of tack depending on conditions many times, testing the wind and the waves, before they can move in the direction they truly want to go. That seems to be all that is being said that they are doing, business wise, to keep the company afloat and moving. Right now, they have to weather the financial storm. Then they can think about firming up the course.

For me, If Cyan does release Open Source, whenever that occurs. I will be pleased.

If Cyan runs the servers, whatever that means, filters content to ensure consistency and quality, with the intent to be able to add their own content. Well darn, that really pleases me also.

That Cyan has found a business opening to apply their talents and ability, and put coin into the coffers, hopefully fill the hold of their ship, and a means to stay afloat, that just plum tickles me.

As a point of reference, for the salt, you all remember that ship you first stepped upon in MYST, after you raised it from its watery grave, don't you?

If as Cyan plots a course ahead for their company, their ship arrives in port healthy with a full hold, and they pick up the full game development mantle again, return to URU, or release a new grand epic, well that will be, priceless. Okay, priceless may be a bit much, but it will certainly be more then the ordinary, for me, and others, I hope.

Keep heart. I still believe whatever comes out of Cyan, a true Open Source, a variant of URU with Cyan filter, and community development involvement, or perhaps even a new epic, it will be worth it. I have found every wait for the next Cyan release, or product they have had a hand in, worth it so far, since MYST. There has always been something in it I fully enjoyed, even though there were parts (puzzles of URU) I didn't. After all these years, I am not about to expect I will be disappointed now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:53 pm 

Outstanding nautical metaphor, which, unfortunately, does not bring our ship any closer to that distant and illusive island of open source uru. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:27 pm 

About every third or fourth month I look in here to find out if anything is happening. Still nothing.

I think that Myst, as people knew it, is a thing of the past.

But, hope against hope, I will look again in December.

:(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:16 am 

Maggot wrote:
About every third or fourth month I look in here to find out if anything is happening. Still nothing.

I think that Myst, as people knew it, is a thing of the past.

But, hope against hope, I will look again in December.

:(

I can't even remember the last time I've post. A month? Three? Six? For the last...while...i've been lurking these forums, checking every week or so for news. I can understand why some people have lost hope. They've been waiting years for something to return. Perhaps I haven't waited long enough but being an optimistic person, I still believe in Cyan. I will still continue to check for news. I don't care how long it takes but until Cyan personally tells us it's never coming back then I believe it will return. I will wait. And I urge you to have faith in Cyan and wait with me.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 453 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next