It is currently Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:18 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:21 pm 
Cyan Employee

Minor non-update:

I haven't heard back from Rand yet regarding my questions of your questions. In hindsight, it probably wasn't a good idea to send an email during the Thanksgiving break. Email resent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:28 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thanks for that bit of news RAWA. We've been waiting so far, a bit more time for Rand to get to email etc is ok. I imagine you guys have a bit more on the plate than us.

Nice to see that bit of feedback about status.. now all we do is wait. Hope everything's ok down there for the holiday season, and as much as we chomp at the bit, we'll be here to see how things go.

MOULa KI: #00027582 #7425022
100% Authentic Gondar! Accept no substitutes, imitations, or knock-offs!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:56 pm 

Heh, it would be awesome if in 10 years, there would be an announcement in the Magiquest forums: "Okay, Magi, we totally intend to open-source the MagiquestOnline engine, which we call 'Plasma'..."

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:32 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

We'd call it Sparkle.

:P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:55 pm 

RAWA wrote:
Minor non-update:

I haven't heard back from Rand yet regarding my questions of your questions. In hindsight, it probably wasn't a good idea to send an email during the Thanksgiving break. Email resent.

Yes, I LOVE non-updates! They make me feel like someone cares. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:46 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

RAWA wrote:
In hindsight, it probably wasn't a good idea to send an email during the Thanksgiving break. Email resent.

Christmas break is better?

:P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:30 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Calam wrote:
Yes, I LOVE non-updates!

You'd probably love the Guild of Healers, then; we occasionally hold non-meetings. :D

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:25 am 

No one has even come close. The gaming world should be ashamed of its lack of vision. Maybe still ahead of its time almost 10 years on. Humanity is really surprisingly dim.

There really should be more attention and innovation paid to this, I am bored, so extremely bored with shooting things; WOW is so pedantic and unstimulating. There really needs to be an alternative voice in the gaming world and that has always been Cyan up until recently. I can't believe producers are so unimaginative and shallow as to overlook this game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:28 pm 
Obduction Backer

Amen to that. But I fear that it's not even ahead of its time... it's out of the industry's time. I don't have enough faith in gaming to believe that such projects may ever truly succeed. Survive, hopefully. Become smashing hits, no.

Despite Myst's and Riven's success, there are signs pointing to the fact that action was what the majority of people really wanted all along (see Tim Schafer's recent interviews, or ex-LucasArts guys now working at Telltales).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:44 pm 

Hi ZZardoz! A very warm welcome to the forums! I see we share the same values. Where have you been all along? :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:26 am 

Thank you RAWA, we will appreciate whatever news is possible when it is possible. thanks and Happy New Year.

"We Build Worlds"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:16 am 

RAWA wrote:
You'd be surprised how many options we've thought of over the last year that haven't worked out, but to get things rolling we're trying to get a server up and running as soon as possible.
[/quote]

Why not have the community run a server for Cyan?

Ki#00098951

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:48 am 

Mystifies Wrote:

Quote:
Why not have the community run a server for Cyan?

Oh, Oh, :o Me! :o Me! I got this one.

This is a catch 22 sorta question.

The Short Answer; Specifically, no license to date announced and released to establish the parameters necessary to provide for and produce a working environment in which the Uru Guild Community and Cyan could form a working relationship to a collaborative effort in bringing about a server for Open Source Uru (OSU).
Therefore, we wait on Cyan, and we wait and we wait . . .

Other Factors are:

Either way, a Cyan or Uru Guild Community run server would require Cyan/ Rand to decide on how to do the licensing agreement i.e. parameters defined for OSU (Open Source Uru) use of existing Cyan IP (Intellectual Property) game Ages content, and how to control the FCAL (Fan Created Art License) to the generated new Age game content that would be borrowing from Cyan content story and game themes indirectly or directly illegally.
Cyan still needs to decide on how to maintain license control of their IP, how much to share and control the FCAL content.

The ever present, ongoing uncertainty with what exactly are the game "code" issues and how bad they are to get an OSU (Open Source Uru) server game running is an unknown element only Cyan/Rand can decide to answer more specifically in an announcement or interview.
The specific reasons to the Uru Guild Community question to why the non-enlistment of the offered assistance and involvement with helping to solve the coding problems, would be for an announcement from Cyan to answer.
Best guess would be Cyan not wanting the code publically available.
:cry: (No license yet, keep genie code in bottle) :cry:

It’s all part of the catch 22 thing;
Releasing code for Uru Guild Community assistance in fixing it requires a defined licencing agreement to use, distribution and its control.
Controlling ones IP (Intellectual Property) is not as straight forward as it appears, because not everyone plays by the rules.
Once some have the codes, how to keep control of them in the real world becomes about legal costs.
It becomes about how legally cost effective will it be for Cyan to go after those who use and abuse the game codes.
A topic thread I have seen more on .

Many can see the Uru Guild Communities natural divisions of those with leadership, organizational and technical skills for the doing of getting a server and game going.
Others in the Uru Forum Community just want Cyan/Rand do it and control it all again for them to play because of the potential for abuses already perceived and expressed.
Many thread topics spun from this.

The announcements to no announcements with substance may not be so bad, even though seen as rude or hurtful by many within the Uru Forum Community and they are justified to feel as they do. :( :? :cry: :x :evil: :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:10 am 
Obduction Backer

Location: Hanging around with mermaids. And still looking for the elusive Funky Bahro.
On the other hoof, Rand completely trusted the Mysteriacs with The Book of Ti'ana. It wasn't until later that a formal, written agreement was reached.

There has to be a way in which a small group of trustworthy people (e.g. GoMa?) could reach an agreement.

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Magical Mystery TOOO 643784
Institution TOOO 816645
Karaoke TOOO 816776

~and featuring~

Murinna (the mermaid) 2484723
Mallina (the other mermaid) 3015052

Second Life: TOOO Fall

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:56 pm 

Jahmen and TOOO pointed out most of the information about why in two succinct posts... why and why not...

@Mystifies
The idea with open source is to have the community run the servers. I think the only difference you pose in your question is in regard to having Cyan's name on the server and fans working on behalf of Cyan with some Cyan supervision.

Other than some fans really not wanting to do that... it adds considerable liability and a requirement for management to Cyan. I am certain Cyan can do without the liability. I suspect they want to avoid commenting to any level of management beyond some absolute minimum.

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next