It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:05 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:41 am 

See, was that so hard? All we ever wanted was communication.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:59 pm 

Its too Bad Telepathy aint real, we could add a telepathic chat room feature to the offline version that would activate with the Great ReZero Beacon, of course it would havta stop short of allowing specific or personal information threw in case someone had something they wanted to keep a secret. :- )

It could be something in the mean time while Cyan works on what ever they need to do to get Uru Live online once again

Energy = Milk Coffee 2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:30 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thanks for the update!

Verification of no news is better than no news. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:25 pm 
Obduction Backer

Re: Donations

If you want to donate money to an entity for a specific purpose, then you inlucde that purpose on the check you write: "This donation is to be used for the Sun Bears Exhibit Renovation." The entity receiving that check must use the money for that purpose if they cash the check. If they don't want to use the money for that purpose, then they simply do not cash the check. Tlhis is known as a "designated donation." If you don't write a "This is to be used for ..." on the check, then the entity can use the donation for whatever it wants to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:03 pm 

I'm so tired of hearing this broken old "donation" track. Cyan isn't a charity. They are a company. There are lots more worthwhile places to give your money. If you're desperate to give money, start here:

http://www.charitywatch.org/toprated.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:05 pm 

Calam wrote:
I'm so tired of hearing this broken old "donation" track. Cyan isn't a charity. They are a company. There are lots more worthwhile places to give your money. If you're desperate to give money, start here:

i don't want to donate, but i would gladly pay a monthly subscription fee. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:57 pm 

Calam wrote:

I think we are all just "desperate" to help out Cyan, and this is the easiest way we can. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:17 am 

JWPlatt wrote:
One suggestion:

Rand Miller wrote:
either pull the parts that we cannot release or rewrite them

Just pull them. Save your cycles. Okay, so it won't compile. How often are open source projects complete at the outset? Let the community attempt to do what it's been wanting to do for years - help you. Once it's open source, Cyan is also part of the community and could contribute to rewrites if and when it has the time and the desire. But at least work can be done in the meantime. You can commit your own rewites later if you want, but put the test to the developer community. Maybe distribute working binaries (as was done with Until Uru), if possible, until the code is rewritten and compiles in the public domain.

This is what I've been wondering for a long time... Why not just start releasing code in an incomplete state? Starting with the headers that cover the PRP packing format would be a great start. Certainly with the amount of people that are interested in working on an open-sourced Plasma we should be able to fill in the missing parts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:02 am 
Obduction Backer

SCGreyWolf wrote:
JWPlatt wrote:
One suggestion:

Rand Miller wrote:

Just pull them. Save your cycles. Okay, so it won't compile. How often are open source projects complete at the outset? Let the community attempt to do what it's been wanting to do for years - help you. Once it's open source, Cyan is also part of the community and could contribute to rewrites if and when it has the time and the desire. But at least work can be done in the meantime. You can commit your own rewites later if you want, but put the test to the developer community. Maybe distribute working binaries (as was done with Until Uru), if possible, until the code is rewritten and compiles in the public domain.

This is what I've been wondering for a long time... Why not just start releasing code in an incomplete state? Starting with the headers that cover the PRP packing format would be a great start. Certainly with the amount of people that are interested in working on an open-sourced Plasma we should be able to fill in the missing parts.

*Cough* libPlasma already does this like a champion *cough*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:35 pm 

AdamJohnso wrote:
SCGreyWolf wrote:
JWPlatt wrote:
One suggestion:

Rand Miller wrote:

No, it doesn't. :) There are still quite a few objects you're missing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:09 pm 

SCGreyWolf wrote:
AdamJohnso wrote:

According to my notes, the only PRP object class we're missing is plWaveSet6, which existed only in AMB/PotS and was never used. plWaveSet7 was always used instead :P (otoh, my notes might not be complete either, but I'm pretty sure I listed all of the object classes)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:32 pm 
Obduction Backer

Like I said, libPlasma does this like a champion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:06 pm 

Tai'lahr wrote:
Quatermain wrote:
Perhaps someone who is a little more programming savvy would like to create a poll and find out just how many current resources are available - mostly in terms of competent man-hours on a per-month basis.

It seems that a lot of people this poll would target have congregated over at the OpenUru website, so that might be a good place to post a poll or at least a link to a poll here.

Thank you for mentioning this. I was not aware.

Christian Walther wrote:
Quatermain wrote:
Perhaps someone who is a little more programming savvy would like to create a poll and find out just how many current resources are available - mostly in terms of competent man-hours on a per-month basis.

This has been attempted several times, without ever evoking any response from Cyan, as far as I am informed. Since Cyan seems to have a long history of reluctance to accept outside help, I think most have given up by now.

Well that is enlightening. In my travels I have happened from time to time upon a situation that goes something like this:
The original author is stuck in one way or another and after a while oodles of 'resources' have been pledged to 'assist'. All the help is turned down because the original author does not want to share any 'authorship' with anyone else so any further progress does not ever get off the ground.

That is certainly too bad. I am not saying that this is Cyan's problem but it remains a possibility. That other note about ripping other's content out that has not gotten copyright permissions may be another hold-out point that is causing delays. I say along with the others who have said so - "Start ripping!"

Out of the dark we came, into the dark we go. Like a storm-driven bird at night we fly out of the Nowhere; for a moment our wings are seen in the light of the fire, and, lo! we are gone again into the Nowhere. (King Solomon's Mines)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:32 am 

Paradox wrote:
SCGreyWolf wrote:
AdamJohnso wrote:

According to my notes, the only PRP object class we're missing is plWaveSet6, which existed only in AMB/PotS and was never used. plWaveSet7 was always used instead :P (otoh, my notes might not be complete either, but I'm pretty sure I listed all of the object classes)

I stand corrected, then. :) I haven't looked at the source in months.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:05 am 
Obduction Backer

Thanks for the update, guys!!!!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next