It is currently Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:01 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 469 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 32  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:50 pm 

Then, seeing as the journey of Uru that has been charted is towards less overall planning rather than more, towards a multiplicity of content creators rather than a single entity, and given that some of the best of those creators react with hostility towards the idea of Cyan, or anyone else, exerting any control at all over what they do...

...well, I'll leave the conclusion that follows to your imagination. Personally, I think the premise is unproven. And I think that's about as much as I can usefully contribute to this thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:59 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

mszv wrote:
I also thought of something else. One of the things people said they like doing in Uru -- helping people. Wouldn't it be way cool if we could somehow give people something for helping people -- you know, you get icons/items of clothing, stuff for your Relto, for traveling with people in their private ages? That would be cool.

There's a thought... How easy would it be to take a basic T-shirt texture and overlay a dynamic text overprint: "nn Explorer's Helped This Month"?

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:43 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
"nn Explorer's Helped This Month"?
Hopefully without the aberrant apostrophe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:10 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

D'oh :oops: :D

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:09 pm 
Obduction Backer

I loved the mentoring system in A Tale in the Desert.

MOULa KI #32712
MOULa KI #23298
MOUL KI #35129
D'mala KI #74265
Gehn KI #10113

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:38 am 
Obduction Backer

So share please, Deledrius -- how does it work, and how does the game support it, and how do you get rewarded for mentoring?

I thought of this because people said one thing they liked was helping people. That's great, and it would be even greater if Uru supported this, in some way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:15 am 

Isn't the reward for helping people in this game getting to be part of those nice fellows at the GoG? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:42 am 
Obduction Backer

Zander_the_Heretic wrote:
Then, seeing as the journey of Uru that has been charted is towards less overall planning rather than more, towards a multiplicity of content creators rather than a single entity, and given that some of the best of those creators react with hostility towards the idea of Cyan, or anyone else, exerting any control at all over what they do...

...well, I'll leave the conclusion that follows to your imagination. Personally, I think the premise is unproven. And I think that's about as much as I can usefully contribute to this thread.

These are not irreconcilable. Content creation is where Cyan, and a number of content creators, have excelled. As for the KI, if fan alternations start showing up, I expect we'll need some sort of way for people to post reviews of the different interfaces, and some implementations will likely show greater success than others. And where there is work that can be done to optimize the client and/or server, or security fixes, I think there's likely to a be a smaller group of explorers with that interest and ability, and that group - hopefully with the same goals in mind - will find a way to collaborate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:33 pm 
Obduction Backer

I'd like to revisit what else we can do to make Uru better. I like the idea of rewarding a player for helping people - that seems wonderful to me.

Now, calling on storytellers -- what else could we do to facilitate storytelling?

It just seems so unfinished to me to have this beautiful world, but that's it -- no way to interact with it, to accommodate a story. Aside from creating new ages -- what else could we do, either little or big? Something more with KI messages and marker quests, something more with bots -- some changes, new things added, what?

Just wondering.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:49 am 

1: Better use of the GZ/Pellet Points grinding/competitions.

This is an idea I've had for a while. A good way to foster competition and get people in the game is to make public the data behind the GZ marker missions and the Pellets. I see three core pieces of data needed: Personal data (your fastest times/pellet points. Display in Relto?), group/guild/neighborhood data (top times/points for your buddies, guild, hood, etc. displayed in the meeting areas for that group (Relto for buddies?)), global data (everyone's top times/points, displayed in Kirel/Ae'gura).

The scenario goes like this: Bob goes through everything, but doesn't really feel motivated to try and do the missions faster or drop more pellets. Then he sees his total pellet points on an imager in Relto (we'll say he has 4000 points). Since he doesn't care that much, it's not that useful. However, when he links to his neighborhood or to his Guild Pub he sees other people have many more points. While this may or may not encourage him to drop more pellets (he may simply feel intimidated by the large amount of points or he may just really not care) it has a better chance of creating an incentive to drop pellets than the current model.

The current model has several flaws. For one, players can drop pellet points in any hood. For another, those points can't be taken back.

2: Rewards for helping people.

A simple way to do this would be to have a points system with clothing or Relto pages for certain levels. A way to register "help" is to have checkpoints in each Age. A player asks for help (by saying something like "/help with Ahnonay") and the game records what checkpoint they're at. Someone links to Ahnonay with that person and helps them get to another checkpoint, game records that and gives them points. They could get more points by helping a person through multiple checkpoints (50 points for one, 100 for two, 200 for three, etc.).

3: Storytelling.

The way to make story easy to tell is to make the primary Myst story-telling device easy to distribute. The journal in Uru:CC was very nice for recording explorations and it would be nice to have it come to the multiplayer environment. Being able to write in and drop your journal could also be a simple way for people to create stories in fan Ages.
D'lanor's done a good job in making journal/linking book-making easy for the offline game, it would greatly benefit MOULa if an even simpler way was made available there.

4: Hands.

A final note that's been bugging me (and plenty of others) for a while now. We need to be able to pick up stuff. End of story.
The excuse has been that picking stuff up realistically would require unique player animations. To which I reply "Nonsense! If you can deal with not turning to jelly upon landing on some of the Gahreesen jumps, then you can deal with an object that's floating in front of someone!" If you really are that thick and care that it doesn't look right, we should still agree on an object of certain dimensions to be the stock "pick-upabble" thing.

After playing Half Life 2 and seeing how Valve uses the physics engine for something other than kicking objects and jumping, Uru's silly lack of this elementary thing is all the more glaring. It needs to be fixed, now, however possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:00 am 

I think that the modifications that Whilyam summarized in his four proposals, if possible at all, would help a lot Uru's gameplay and attractiveness. I would add the option to set one's pellet/GZ scores private if one chooses to not participate in the ranking system. Apart from that, I have only one very minor issue with what he wrote:
Whilyam wrote:
The excuse has been that picking stuff up realistically would require unique player animations. To which I reply "Nonsense! If you can deal with not turning to jelly upon landing on some of the Gahreesen jumps, then you can deal with an object that's floating in front of someone!"

It would bother me much more to have objects floating in front of people all the time, than having to suspend disbelief for the second it takes to jump to the Gahreesen door. In any case, even if the two things were just equally bothering, it would not be a good reason to increase the number of bad game elements. ;-)

Simone - KI#1001138
Please avoid drinking the lake water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:44 pm 

Solution: The Bahro have given the Gathered telekenisis.
Solution: The KI can now levitate objects.
Solution: Yeesha's written stuff and stuff can float now.

I think we can get over it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:05 pm 

(I know I'm going to regret stepping back into this, but:)

That depends. Are you saying we ought to be able to pick up stuff because it's unrealistic that we can't, or because it makes puzzles too hard? If the former, the suggested "solutions" do nothing to address the problem. If the latter, I would say, at least insofar as the original Journeys are concerned, the converse is true: being able to pick stuff up would short-circuit half the Ages. As long as we depend on the Journey and PotS to be the major chunk of content that new players find, I don't know if we can afford to kick the stuffing out of them that way.

It bugs me as much as it bugs you, believe me, but I'd rather wait for a full solution (a way to incorporate at least semi-realistic animations for picking stuff up one-handed, two-handed, with/without effort, whatever, into the game) than rush to something that is going to look silly to anyone who hasn't had to live with the alternative, and is going to require a non-explanation such as "Yeesha wrote some stuff."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:17 pm 

being able to pick stuff up would short-circuit half the Ages

The only one I can think of is Eder Gira. Are there other puzzles that would break if we could pick up objects?

P.S. by the way, again, we need less immersion breaking and deus ex machina in Uru, not more. =)

Simone - KI#1001138
Please avoid drinking the lake water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:28 pm 
Obduction Backer

<snip>If the latter, I would say, at least insofar as the original Journeys are concerned, the converse is true: being able to pick stuff up would short-circuit half the Ages. As long as we depend on the Journey and PotS to be the major chunk of content that new players find, I don't know if we can afford to kick the stuffing out of them that way.<snip>

In the original journey ages, things would be vastly improved if we could pick them up, don't see how it could possibly "short-circuit" any original journey Age.

Eder Gira would work just fine, Teledahn would work just fine... don't see how picking up stuff would break anything at all.

EDIT: Examples.

Eder Gira - Pick up basket, drop into position. YAY! No longer do I have to fight against the physics engine!

Teledahn - Pick up random thing, drop in position - YAY! No longer do I have to fight against the physics engine.

EDIT2: note that Eder Gira is the only Age in Uru (to my knowledge) that it is possible to get the Age in an unsolvable position. Right now, if you kick one or more of the baskets off into the lower little lake thing, beyond the bone-arch bit... you /have/ to delete the book to reset the age, to solve it, if you have not already solved it. The baskets don't fall through, so they won't reset, and you can't get down there, as you panic link if you try. That would then make the Age unsolvable.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 469 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 32  Next