It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:46 am

All times are UTC




Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 469 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 32  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:07 am 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Thu May 11, 2006 1:58 am
Posts: 528
Location: France
Zardoz wrote:
We have 30,000 accounts because the monthly fee is . . . zero.

That's funny if you draw the parallel with Prologue: we have the same amount of accounts; for the same price, and in the same amount of time. Wonder if there's some hidden piece of info in there..


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:17 pm
Posts: 270
I love being quoted but I prefer people to read what I say before they do so...

Rusty_Russell wrote:
Quote:
fixing the blasted Instance system would solve alot of problems
jadawin12, you couldn't do away with it altogether. Trying to keep track of the relative positions of multiple transient objects across a network is a huge resource-intensive task. Having instances divides up that task into managable chunks.

There's a trade-off. There were 6 global instances of Ae'gura in prologue and there were never more than 35 people in each.


I said nothing about throwing it out... I said fixing it. You mention good points, but just saying.


Bellerophon wrote:

jadawin12 wrote:
(So that way I could just take the new person to Gahreesen without having to try and teach them how to share a book).


For something like that you should just be getting a Nexus Invite. Of course, the Ki being unusable and half the population not knowing you can let other people into your age through their nexus is an issue there.


So I should KImail someone an invite to Gahreesen to show them where they can pick up a KI? I think that made my head explode a little.

I'm not trying to pick on anyone but if you quote me, I will reply and set you straight... if I am at fault feel free to call me out though.

_________________
Image

Thelonius "Prof" Higginsbottom

member of the Guild of Calamitous Intent

"I invented the term the Bevin Generation do I get a spot in Mystlore?"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:45 am 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:39 pm
Posts: 517
Another way to solve the KI problem (without making jadawin's head explode :lol:) is to have the Nexus open with a Gahreesen book if you don't have a KI.

Instancing needs to be made clear in this regard (at least): where do I end up when I use this book/stone? For example, SHARING the Ae'gura stone should NOT get them in the public instance and me in the private instance. What's the point of sharing it then?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:13 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:21 am
Posts: 48
dragossh wrote:
Another way to solve the KI problem (without making jadawin's head explode :lol:) is to have the Nexus open with a Gahreesen book if you don't have a KI.

I think thats acutally a great idea. It make sense in IC point of view also.

_________________
Egon #2052375 Guild of Writers
Who You gonna call? Guild of Doorcallers! #5356672
Eder Tsogal/Delin Marathon


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:17 am 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:14 pm
Posts: 902
I would see adding books to nexus without requiring a KI, canon-breaking, at best. =)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:39 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:21 am
Posts: 48
kaelisebonrai wrote:
I would see adding books to nexus without requiring a KI, canon-breaking, at best. =)

I didn't understand what are You saying. Did You meant "I would see accessing books from nexus without requiring a KI, canon-breaking, at best.?"
If so: it's not about accesing "books", but accessing one particullar book.
And I assume KI dispenser area I Gahreesen was not as empty as it is now, but it was properly protected.

_________________
Egon #2052375 Guild of Writers
Who You gonna call? Guild of Doorcallers! #5356672
Eder Tsogal/Delin Marathon


Last edited by Egon on Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:44 am 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:14 pm
Posts: 902
For one: They likely would not have even had access to the Nexus, without a KI. =)

Not everyone did have a KI, an the neighborhoods were only accessible to those /with/ KIs, from my understanding.

For another, I'd say most D'ni were mighty careful about linking to Ages if they didn't have a link back. ;)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:47 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:21 am
Posts: 48
kaelisebonrai wrote:
For one: They likely would not have even had access to the Nexus, without a KI. =)

Currently Nexus pedestals look says otherwise.

Quote:
For another, I'd say most D'ni were mighty careful about linking to Ages if they didn't have a link back. ;)

Yes, they would probably took linking-back book with them selfs - I just imaged stack of such books in Nexus :)

_________________
Egon #2052375 Guild of Writers
Who You gonna call? Guild of Doorcallers! #5356672
Eder Tsogal/Delin Marathon


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:07 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:14 pm
Posts: 902
Regardless of the current look of the nexus pedestal (which was not even mentioned, as the pedestal is irrelevant, since those were in the Hoods, which are self enclosed, and accessible only through the nexus, in any case... (and it has been said that all people in the hoods had KIs, iirc =P ))

The ones in the city still are nexus terminals, and I'd suspect access to the city itself was somewhat... limited. And there may well have been some other way of limiting access. However, there is some likelyhood of some people not being allowed to access the Nexus, and also they were likely to not have a KI. Ti'ana, for example. =) How many others? Probably lots. =P

However, as the current view of "canon" tells us, the Nexus simply does not work without a KI. If you're happy to break that little bit of canon, you're welcome to, however... don't call out others for apparently breaking canon. =) You either break canon, and take the flak, and don't call others out on breaking it... or you don't break canon. =P


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:21 am
Posts: 48
kaelisebonrai wrote:
Regardless of the current look of the nexus pedestal (which was not even mentioned, as the pedestal is irrelevant, since those were in the Hoods, which are self enclosed, and accessible only through the nexus, in any case... (and it has been said that all people in the hoods had KIs, iirc =P ))


"the pedestal is irrelevant" - is relevant since anybody who has acces to pedestal has acces to Nexus.

"...were in the Hoods" - and in Agu'era. Accesible though ferry.

I just cannot stand to think that D'ni build such easy-to-stuck-age-with-no-way-outTM. It seams to stupid. But my problem probably lais in the fact that Nexus is now only private instace. In reality, such stuck person would probalby would have to just wait for somone with the KI device.

Quote:
However, as the current view of "canon" tells us, the Nexus simply does not work without a KI. If you're happy to break that little bit of canon, you're welcome to, however... don't call out others for apparently breaking canon. =) You either break canon, and take the flak, and don't call others out on breaking it... or you don't break canon. =P

I was thinking more in a way that "modern days explorers" have modyfiied Nexus.

_________________
Egon #2052375 Guild of Writers
Who You gonna call? Guild of Doorcallers! #5356672
Eder Tsogal/Delin Marathon


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:28 pm
Posts: 556
Location: USA
Speaking of: You're Stuck In This Age....

The Hoods have always bugged me. Both Bevin and Kirel, the only obvious way in and out was with the Nexus.

I mean there should be a small dock and harbor.....the boats in Ae'gura showed that the D'ni used boats to get to places in the Cavern.
And/Or there should be a tunnel or tunnels leading in and out.

Now, yah, we could say that Bevin and Kirel were neighborhoods like we have today: only way in or out is through a security gate where you have to have a pass to get in.

Still, I'm looking forward to seeing some fan made hoods that show at least one boat dock, or a tunnel (even if it doesn't go anywhere and has a locked gate). That would give me much more of a sense of realism.

_________________
Image

My Tutorials


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:06 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:14 pm
Posts: 902
Egon wrote:

"the pedestal is irrelevant" - is relevant since anybody who has acces to pedestal has acces to Nexus.

And the only access to the hoods, is via the nexus, what's your point?


Egon wrote:
"...were in the Hoods" - and in Agu'era. Accesible though ferry.

kaelisebonrai in the post directly above yours wrote:
The ones in the city still are nexus terminals, and I'd suspect access to the city itself was somewhat... limited. And there may well have been some other way of limiting access. However, there is some likelyhood of some people not being allowed to access the Nexus, and also they were likely to not have a KI. Ti'ana, for example. =) How many others? Probably lots. =P


Egon wrote:
I just cannot stand to think that D'ni build such easy-to-stuck-age-with-no-way-outTM. It seams to stupid. But my problem probably lais in the fact that Nexus is now only private instace. In reality, such stuck person would probalby would have to just wait for somone with the KI device.

I've done some more info hunting.. and.. that's pretty much what happened. According to a certain Canon expert, who will remain nameless "The D'ni would monitor the Nexus and check for people who got themselves stuck there."
EDIT: Apparently, this comes from one of the DRC, originally. =) Shiny. /EDIT
EDIT2: Might be Kodama. /EDIT2
EDIT3: vid thinks he asked Kodama in the "Town Hall dealy", not sure more than that. /EDIT3

Egon wrote:
kaelisebonrai wrote:
However, as the current view of "canon" tells us, the Nexus simply does not work without a KI. If you're happy to break that little bit of canon, you're welcome to, however... don't call out others for apparently breaking canon. =) You either break canon, and take the flak, and don't call others out on breaking it... or you don't break canon. =P

I was thinking more in a way that "modern days explorers" have modyfiied Nexus.


You'd think the DRC would've done that, obsessed with safety as they were, and that whole we don't approve of Yeesha's stuff, etc, thing they had going on, when we first got access to the Nexus.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:26 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:46 am
Posts: 34
jadawin12 wrote:
So I should KImail someone an invite to Gahreesen to show them where they can pick up a KI? I think that made my head explode a little.


Oh, you mean the Ki pickup Gahreesen. Well, that's a unique case, being pre-ki. I thought you meant for a runthrough of the proper-age.

Well, in the current system Ki-Gahreesen is hood instanced, isn't it? So just take them through there. And in my proposed version it wouldn't be an issue, since you actively achieve multiplayer upon getting the Ki. In that the only way of getting to multiplayer content is through the nexus (at least until you go and get a hood book for your relto) and that'd only work after you have a Ki. Which would be easy to get in my proposed system (Nexus (only book on the shelf) sends you to Ki-Gahreesen if you don't have one)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:31 pm
Posts: 801
Location: Sweden
Nye_Sigismund wrote:
Okay, defusing the situation a little (seriously folks, the endless bickering is not going to be very helpful when we have the OS server code etc, and it's less helpful now) -

For the intro stuff, there is a very easy way of solving all this KI nonsense and would take 10 minutes to do. Add a piece of paper) to the shelves in Relto (or have the instruction appear on the screen when you first link to Relto), saying:

"You're going to need a communication device if you want to explore properly. To get one, follow these instuctions:"

Another piece of paper reads:

"Here is how to use your new Ki:"

How's that for a quick fix?

(Personally I'm more for work on optimising the Ki code in the first place... the thing is so slow!)

Alternatively, just have a big flashing sign on the screen at all times saying "GOOGLE IT".


So I'm finally understanding the fun of these rants and along comes you to make me feel all childish :oops:

Oh! I see! It did not stop anyone else so....
Anyway
Yes you can get the KI in Gareseen. That is where I got it. Not in some hood version.

_________________
--- I know what I like and I like what I know ---


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:45 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 5:28 am
Posts: 2266
Ok - if you don't want someone to get their KI as they start the game, how about they get their KI when they link into their neighborhood? Make that darn thing close to wear they link in, and have a sign.

_________________
mszv, amarez in Uru, other online games, never use mszv anymore, would like to change it
Blog - http://www.amarez.com, Twitter - http://www.twitter.com/amareze


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 469 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 32  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron