It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:43 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:54 pm 

I was taking note while playing around with Spore. User generated content is very popular using basic tools for 3d design in that title. I have seen some fantastically complex content using they're "clay" molding scheme, and I was wondering if that had ever come to mind when developing this open source experiment. I know that puzzle making and creature making would be a more programming intensive excursion but I think that it would introduce a lot of new explorers to the fold iif given the tools to create without the extensive background in programming.

"Live together, die alone." - Jack Sheppard, LOST
KI# 00265224
Humble member of the Unbound Hearts of D'ni

http://vormaen.deviantart.com/
For scraps by me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:37 pm 

That would be a great idea for people like me. I've never programmed in my life and I do have idea for ages, so this would be a great help for me if the programming element were reduced to at the very least a novice level.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:07 pm 

I created my "D'ni Temple: Area One" with very little programming.

Even though I'm a pretty good artist, I'm not a very good programmer, IMO, so the more things that can be implemented with GUI functions the better.

I'd love it if things like video textures had better documentation and didn't require so much code to implement; same goes with a lot of features in Guild of Writers toolsets which are not very user-friendly right now.

Age creation will never be "easy", I think, but we can and should make steps towards making it more accessible than it currently is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:21 pm 

It's the question you have to ask yourself. If you were worked hard to master a difficult skill, would you want to make everyone else be able to do it with comparatively no work? Because honestly, it's the people who can make ages that would have to make it easier. I play Lugormod, which is a mod (No really?!) for Jedi Academy. It requires lengthy detailed commands for building server features, and a few people released building utilities to make it easier. Almost all of the already learned builders then proceeded to kick the groins of whoever used the utilities.

Oh what am I saying, that could never happen here. Right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:11 pm 
Obduction Backer

Naythan wrote:
It's the question you have to ask yourself. If you were worked hard to master a difficult skill, would you want to make everyone else be able to do it with comparatively no work? Because honestly, it's the people who can make ages that would have to make it easier.

On the other hand knowledge is best used when it is shared; that's how we progress. Else we would still be living in the stone Age.

Quote:
I play Lugormod, which is a mod (No really?!) for Jedi Academy. It requires lengthy detailed commands for building server features, and a few people released building utilities to make it easier. Almost all of the already learned builders then proceeded to kick the groins of whoever used the utilities.

That sound like a wonderful group of people. Can you tell me where they are located to make sure I never go there?

We may not be a perfect community but I don't think kicking people in the groin is part of our habits. Building Ages is a collaborative effort not a competition, and everyone is welcome, whatever the tools and methods used. It is a difficult skill, and those practicing it are constantly learning and discovering new tricks.
Just last week a group of writers asked me if they could use textures of one of my Ages for their own, and I said yes. They might just produce something much better than I ever did; and I think that's great.

I don't think it will happen for a number of reasons, but if such Spore-like easy to use tools were to happen one day for Uru it would be a great thing. It would certainly bring a lot of sub-par creations, but it would also allow some artists to emerge that probably wouldn't have emerged otherwise..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:36 am 

Depending on the context, people like to build stuff. Farmville, Backyard Monsters, Vineyard, etc. are all build games that are wildly popular. Studies and research show people like to learn and create.

Many of the Uruites that went to live in Second Life learned to build things or make clothes. Dmom makes vehicles. She would never have thought she would do something like that in a million years. Granelda wins prizes building houses in the Frank Lloyd Wright competitions.

However, Blender is too much for a lot of people. They will try the simple build interface built into SL. Surprisingly many of the Uruites in SL have started to explore Blender. With the coming of Collada Meshes in SL I suspect more will be interested and those already using it will advance. I also suspect some of that will transfer back to Uru. Collada mesh can be imported converted and used in both SL and Uru. So, we may see more building.

I think a big part of people being willing to learn to build things in SL is the large user base and the number of people willing to help others. A number of programs have been built to help people build things. Some are sold but a large number are given away free. Plus there are a ton of tutorials on even the most complex subjects. The 'groin kickers' are trying to control things. In large communities that is pretty much impossible.

To build an in-game building interface like SL's or Spore's is quite a task. In a way one is building in a Blender. I doubt we will ever see that for Uru.

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:13 pm 

I'm not saying it wouldn't be cool, and I for one think it's a great idea. I'm just saying that in my experience it's not exactly a hold hands and make everyone happy outcome. If people start making something like this I'd love to help in whatever way I can, although my knowledge is somewhat limited. Okay, very limited. However, I stand by my belief that it most likely won't happen. In a perfect world, right? :wink:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]