It is currently Sat May 25, 2019 4:58 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:09 am 
Obduction Backer

I have just been forced to upgrade from XP to windows 7. This means I have had to reinstall everything, including the Plasma plugin. This used to work perfectly on XP but now when I run 3Ds Max 7, I keep getting the missing .dll error. I am positive that I have copied all the .dll's and that the plugin is in the correct place.

Both 3Ds Max 7 and Uru (along with other user created ages) run perfectly, even in maximum graphics.

Anyone have any idea how to fix this, or are there any alternatives?

Thanks,
Tam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:48 am 
Former MystOnline Moderator

The only thing I can think of is that maybe one of those copied (rather than "installed") DLLs needs to be registered with the operating system. Many DLLs are self-registering, but some aren't, and if there isn't an associated installer (as when you simply copy the files) then they may need to be manually registered, so the following may help, if you know which DLLs are involved:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/249873

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:05 pm 
Obduction Backer

As much as I would like to try your suggestion @Mac_Fife, I can't because Windows 7 is messing me about with access issues.

Instead I have decided to install XP pro on another hard drive in the hope that this will fix my problem!

But anyway, thanks for the suggestion!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:34 pm 

When I had to switch from XP to Win 7, everything installed fine for me, except 3DS Max 7 that its. It would crash when I tried to run it. Turns out the problem was my video driver. While it was suppose to be good to go for Win 7, it had issues with Max. When I rolled back to the Win 7 driver, the problem went away, and the very next update to my video driver also fixed the issue.

You'll find comprehensive discussions on Age Creation and technical problems over at:

Alternate Worlds

GoW Forum

GoMa Forum

While you can discuss Cyan's Plugin over here, most of the discussion on it (including all my tutorials) are over at those sites I listed above simply because:

A) Cyan has not had the "Free Time" to answer a lot of questions, so we've mainly had to figure stuff out on our own, and..

B) Once you do make something, in order to test it, requires you to convert it with a fan made tool that's not allowed to be discussed here.

While most people hate to have to register at another forum, you can just visit as a guest at all three of the above and have read access to everything. But you will need to register to post questions.

BTW - it would help to know what the name of the .dll file it's complaining about is.

My Tutorials

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:25 pm 

Just to let everyone know, we got Tam's problem fixed. It brings up a important issue:

This goes no mater WHICH OS you use!

When you copy the dll files over from your Uru install to your Max folder, you MUST use the dll's in your MOUL:a install, NOT your Uru:CC install.

The reason for this is: Cyan' Plugin is for MOUL:a, not Uru:CC. It's a common misconception since you'll be using Uru:CC to test your creations (but which we can't discuss here, heh).

So if any of you are having the same problem, go back and make sure you copied the dll's from your MOUL:a install, not the Uru:CC one.

My Tutorials

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:16 am 

Mac_Fife wrote:
The only thing I can think of is that maybe one of those copied (rather than "installed") DLLs needs to be registered with the operating system. Many DLLs are self-registering, but some aren't, and if there isn't an associated installer (as when you simply copy the files) then they may need to be manually registered, so the following may help, if you know which DLLs are involved:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/249873

If the DLL is placed in the same directory as the application, no matter if its registered or not, the application will use that DLL over any other. Applications generally look in the Windows System32 folder if it can't find it in the applications directory(I assume it would check the place its registered to before checking the System32 folder if it is registered. Iv never created an application that relys on DLL's being registered so i can only speculate that it would check the registered DLL exists before checking System32).

Its mainly only Microsoft that will be registering DLL locations. Most applications just rely on the DLL being in its directory(Or sub-directories).

Note: I know the problem has been fixed, i just want to try and clear up any mis-conceptions on DLL's.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]