It is currently Sat May 25, 2019 9:07 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:53 pm 
Obduction Backer

As ya'll know, the URU Localization Project is the biggest URU-related project to which I still devote time on a regular basis. And, I'm happy to see that it's still active and translations are still being performed.

German and French are basically complete - they just need to be approved. And, how does that happen? By German and French speaking explorers like yourselves! And, how do you find things that need approval? EASY! Go into the project and at the top of every page you'll see something like "Items to Vote on: 316 Find One" - just click "Find One" and it will (amazingly) find one for you. Of course, the number you see will be different. It will only show you things that YOU can vote on based on what language(s) you speak. As soon as the first language is done, I'll compile it into a localization pack for MO:UL and eventually URU:CC.

But, it's not all German and French. Italian, Spanish, Finnish, Hungarian and Dutch are all more than 50% complete. And, beyond that, Russian, Swedish, Romanian, Portuguese, Czech, Chinese, French Canadian and Klingon have all been started. Yes...I said Klingon. When I rolled the site out I expected to wait at least a year for a language to be completed. Yeah...it's that big of a project. But the progress ya'll have made so far is fantastic! So, keep up the good work!

Part of this announcement is just giving an update. Another part is letting ya'll know that there have been numerous bug fixes and improvements...most of which you won't see...some you will. Oh, and it's about twice as fast as it used to be.

And the other part is exciting. Despite the name, the ULP is branching out and including the first non-URU game: Riven. But why? Well, every translation we do will be made freely available to anyone. That especially includes Cyan. Perhaps Cyan will release iRiven in Finnish one day thanks to your work. We can dream. But if it happens, that's just something else for Cyan to sell. And, maybe if our little project helps them to make a little extra money, they'll be able to devote more time to URU. OK...so I'm sounding a little circle-of-life-ish here, but you get the point.

But, there's another benefit. Have you heard of the Starry Expanse project?

So, as of today, the URU Localization Project is now called: The URU Localization Project (and Riven!)

Catchy, huh?

Last edited by OHB on Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:42 am 
Obduction Backer

OHB, are you lacking in sleep or does somebody need to check your English usage? I've heard of things needing approval but never needing approved.

But this is all good to hear, especially the Riven part. Since Cyan doesn't have the rights to translated content this would be a lovely workaround.

Haven't had a chance to check up on SE lately but it's coming along quite nicely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:00 am 
Obduction Backer

tanshin wrote:
OHB, are you lacking in sleep or does somebody need to check your English usage? I've heard of things needing approval but never needing approved.

But this is all good to hear, especially the Riven part. Since Cyan doesn't have the rights to translated content this would be a lovely workaround.

Haven't had a chance to check up on SE lately but it's coming along quite nicely.

"X needs [to be] approved" isn't good? "X needs [to be] shredded" how about that? or "X needs [to be] fixed"? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that's incorrect English. Link to a grammar site please :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:02 am 
Obduction Backer

Is it still correct when "to be" is omitted?

Gah, too much language jabber right now. I just read two articles on whether language effects thought processes or if thoughts affect language development. *overloading*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:03 am 
Obduction Backer

tanshin wrote:
Is it still correct when "to be" is omitted?

Gah, too much language jabber right now. I just read two articles on whether language effects thought processes or if thoughts affect language development. *overloading*

OK...apparently it's wrong. I stand corrected. We just drop the [to be] in speech and it becomes implied.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:57 am 
Obduction Backer

Never heard it used in speech but you learn something new every day!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:11 pm 

OHB, I'd like to request the addition of English (Canada).

Canadian English uses a combination of British English (colour, honour, etc.) and American English (maximize, realize, etc.). Neither British nor American options are wholly satisfactory.

Not a huge deal if you disagree, but I thought it'd be good to have the option.

Eyen waxen
3: 7)$]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:16 pm 
Obduction Backer

i think the Canadians should read over the translations for British and American and combine and fix what they see fit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:26 pm 
Obduction Backer

Sure I'll add English - Canadian. Although if you're gonna work on it - help out with British English too :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:17 am 
Obduction Backer

OHB wrote:
Sure I'll add English - Canadian.

In my defense, I wrote that on Christmas Day. (I totally forgot about it)

It was brought to my attention earlier today, so I've gone ahead an added it. I've also added a bunch of new languages to the MO:UL project that weren't there before.

I'll take this opportunity for a quick status update since we just passed translation number 20,000!

When translations are submitted they're considered "Pending". When other users "Like" them, they're marked as "Complete". When something hasn't had a translation submitted it's called "Incomplete".

Top of the list we have:

French and German: over 90% Complete and 10% Pending.
Polish: almost 85% complete, the rest Incomplete.
Swedish: 98% Pending and the rest are Complete.
Spanish and Italian: 40% Complete, some Pending, the rest Incomplete.

Finnish, Hungarian, Dutch and Russian are 40%-60% Pending

Japanese, Romanian, Brazilian Portuguese, Norweigian, Greek, Czech, Chinese, French (Canadian) and Klingon have been started but need a lot of work!

Here's a list of the languages not yet started:

Afrikaans, Albanian, Arabic, Armenia, Azerbaijani, Basque, Belorussian, Bulgarian, Catalan, Chinese (Traditional Script), Croatian, Danish, Estonian, Farsi, Haitian Creole, Hebrew, Hindi, Icelandic, Indonesian, Irish, Kazakh, Korean, Latvian, Lithuanian, Macedonian, Malay, Mongolian, Pashto, Portuguese, Serbian, Slovak, Slovenian, Swahili, Tatar, Thai, Tok Pisin, Turkish, Ukrainian, Urdu, Uzbek, Vietnamese, and Welsh.

The translations for Riven are well underway as well. None is complete, but Swedish is 100% Pending. French, Dutch, Greek, German, Spanish, Japanese, Ukrainian, Tok Pisin (a.k.a. Rivenese) and English (UK) have all been started.

The last couple of weeks has been rather exciting for me. A number of new languages were started and the amount of submitted translations is amazing. Recently there have also been bug fixes and new features added (such as Text-to-Speech and Google translations). Also, the requirements for participating have changed to allow those who aren't as familiar with URU/Riven to submit and review translations that don't require knowledge of the Myst series.

So...what can you do?

1. If you speak another language, sign up to be a translator! Or...
2. Sign up to be a reviewer!

Even if translating isn't your thing, you can still review other people's work and vote for translations when you think they're good. I should point out that British English and Canadian English are considered "different" languages. So, if you're from the U.K. or Canada but only speak English, we'd welcome your help too!

But, if you only speak American English, that's OK too! For example:

1. Pester your multi-lingual friends into helping out!
2. If you're good with graphics I'll need help with fonts coming up soon. (PM me about this)
3. Donate!
4. Stay tuned! There are two related projects coming soon that everyone can help with.

Hopefully you all know the address by now -> http://uru.orangehairedboy.com/localization/

And, remember, you can get a sneak peak of the translation system using the Guest Access link on the homepage. You can't view every language or contribute, but you can get a feel for what we're doing over there and check out things like the Statistics and Top Users pages.

From me and on behalf of all the people who will one day be able to play these games because it's in their own language, THANK YOU to everyone participating for your time and effort.

[spoiler]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNA5JSdpsao[/spoiler]

/endlongramblingpostwrittenatthreeinthemorning

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:16 pm 
Obduction Backer

What about d'ni translations? ;) 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:04 pm 
Obduction Backer

Klingon? ... serriously...?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:11 am 
Obduction Backer

pokemon71096 wrote:
What about d'ni translations? ;) 8)

The language isn't developed enough for it to be possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:37 pm 
Obduction Backer

i realize, ohb. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:53 am 
Obduction Backer

IanWatson wrote:
OHB, I'd like to request the addition of English (Canada).

Canadian English uses a combination of British English (colour, honour, etc.) and American English (maximize, realize, etc.). Neither British nor American options are wholly satisfactory.

Not a huge deal if you disagree, but I thought it'd be good to have the option.

Also, it finally enables the more culturally-apropriate "The water is flowing in from the desert, eh?"

;)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next