It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:07 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Testing KI changes
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:00 pm 
Obduction Backer

How would one go about testing the changes to the KI? Where does the game get the Python files from?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:47 pm 
Obduction Backer

The easiest way to get and contribute to the MOUL Python is to clone yourself a moul-scripts repo over on github.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:54 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Or on the Foundry's Mercurial repository on OpenUru.org at https://foundry.OpenUru.org/hg/MOULSCRIPT-dev of course, where we already have a few bug fixes in.

You can either use your Foundry account credentials or user: guest / password: guest should work.

Bitbucket mirror support should be coming soon to a URL near you.

For the raw download without using the repository, please see:
http://wiki.openuru.org/index.php?title ... Auth_Files

Last edited by JWPlatt on Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:00 pm 
Obduction Backer

JWPlatt wrote:
Or on the Foundry on OpenUru.org at https://foundry.OpenUru.org/hg/MOULSCRIPT-dev of course, where we already have a few bug fixes in.

You can either use your Foundry account credentials or user: guest / password: guest should work.

Bitbucket mirror support should be coming soon to a URL near you.

In other words, github is more viable 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:01 pm 

Let's avoid picking fights.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:40 pm 
Obduction Backer

I guess I'll have to set up my own server if I want to test changes. It's a bit disconcerning seeing Uru "fork" this quickly. I hope the repositories will be kept in sync once in a while. Having two competing groups work on the same thing doesn't sound that good to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:37 am 
Creative Kingdoms

It's a common misconception that forks are bad. They're not, really. Or they don't have to be. They are one sign of a thriving project. Not only that, but branching happens every day during development as programmers make changes. Then those changes are folded back into a stable branch, usually after some thorough testing. This all can lead to a diversity that brings in some quite good innovations.

The big reason to use Mercurial or Git is because they support a distributed community like ours, and beyond. If there were only one fork, that might be the shocker. Expect more, and not from people you're familiar with, but all over, from new people and new projects or products - if things go well. Does that sound counterintuitive? Well, it just means it's popular and different people have different ideas and motivations. Some things won't fit perfectly if there is a great divergence, but many things will still be in common. Think of it possibly as cross-pollination.

There are "bridges" that can make it easy to go between one type of repository and another. The changes can certainly be synchronized from time to time. It's open source!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]