It is currently Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:38 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:38 pm 
Obduction Backer

Does anyone know if the open sourcing of URU will bring fixes to the Cyan hosted version of the game such as the Gahreesen Wall game, the Minkata Sparklie or the Maintainers Suits? I've heard people talk about the sparklie being fixed but it wasn't specified if it would be a fix on a shard (like MOSS of Dirtsand) or on Cyan's server.

TOC#60089 DI#132103 MOULa is Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:40 pm 

Cyan currently has no solid plan for getting fixes from the community into MOULagain. This may change in the future, or it may not. We'll have to see what happens.

The ball is entirely in Cyan's court here.

When I was your age, we rocket-jumped up hill both ways in boiling lava.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:17 am 

One can make some assumptions about what will happen.

Cyan is short on time and money for Myst-Uru projects. We also know they like the flexibility to change their plans. So, it is doubtful they will setup a system that places them in any position to have to do something or require they assign labor to a task or restricts their options. I find it hard to imagine they will setup any formal system beyond OpenUru.org (OU). The fans will pretty much run OU.

As code is developed at OU & GoW and MOSS servers are brought up, we'll see bug fixes posted and added into CWE and MOSS. Include in 'bug fixes' the Maintainers' Wall and similar things. As those fixes are proven, I would not be surprised to see Cyan quietly take copies, check them out and merge them into their code.

Now that the code is open source, in many ways Cyan becomes simply another member in the community. They do own and control the Myst assets and story. But, they have given the CWE and Plugin to the community. They are no longer the sole owners. They have the same rights to fan created code as any other fan.

They could surprise us and set up some formal plan. I doubt they will.

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:59 am 

I believe their may be a chance that somebody in the Myst community might be able to fix the Gahreesen Wall game, however whether it shows up in the game engine that open source is using is another story. Only time will tell, and where keeping our fingers crossed

E=mc2
Energy = Milk Coffee 2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:43 am 
Obduction Backer

Trekluver wrote:
Does anyone know if the open sourcing of URU will bring fixes to the Cyan hosted version of the game such as the Gahreesen Wall game,

That might be possible, depending on where the code that was buggy is. If it's in the client and/or Python files, it can be fixed and maybe at some point Cyan will grab that, and modify Gahreesen so we can access the wall.

Quote:
the Minkata Sparklie or the Maintainers Suits? I've heard people talk about the sparklie being fixed but it wasn't specified if it would be a fix on a shard (like MOSS of Dirtsand) or on Cyan's server.

A patch for the sparklie was sent to Cyan a long time ago, but they haven't implemented it yet. As for the suits, wouldn't that require modification of the actual Age file?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:18 am 
Obduction Backer

Karkadann wrote:
I believe their may be a chance that somebody in the Myst community might be able to fix the Gahreesen Wall game, however whether it shows up in the game engine that open source is using is another story. Only time will tell, and where keeping our fingers crossed

There's topics on the GoW about possibly fixing the wall but it appears the current fix is for the Drizzle based URU clients. As for the other things like the sparklie, I sure hope Cyan adds the patch.

TOC#60089 DI#132103 MOULa is Image

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]