It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:10 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:05 pm 
Obduction Backer

I haven't fully read the last two pages; (so much discussions going on lately..) so I apologize in advance if I'm rehashing an old point; but: we always come back to the lack of content and gameplay in Uru. External ways to connect and interact with Uru are a fun idea; but to do what? To connect to what? Mary's example above are telling, and I can't find much similarities in Uru. Baring any technical or organisationnal hurdles, what could such an app do? Tell us the latest Heek high scores? List the newest marker games? Maybe even alow realtime talking through the Ki with other explorers? I don't find any of that really exciting, or even useful.
Other than solving Ages, I can list on one hand the type of recurring activities we can have in Uru. Socializing, Heek, markers, pelets, basejumping. Ok; maybe I'm carricaturing and there's another couple; but my point is there is not much to do in Uru; hence an app wouldn't have not much to connect to...
An app might be an interesting idea; but right now Uru is still lacking a bit unfortunately; and I fear any external way to connect to it would only underline that even more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:53 am 

Well that's one thing I'm working on at the moment. A social area in D'ni that has a small collection of surface games that explorers brought down into the cavern to pass the time. Once I finish the level design document (it's really just a shell at the moment, go check the Team OSCAR subforum at OpenUru if you want to see it) I'll put it up here.

We do need actual content. As it stands, and I just want to make this absolutely clear, there's nothing to be gained from moving away from simply extending what we already have. No fancy gameplay mechanics or apps. Just more areas to explore with more stuff to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:23 pm 
Obduction Backer

Aloys, I don't think that a smartphone app is a replacement for Uru, just a nice little addition.

As for what it would do -- well, stats and am auction house are not part of Uru, and our characters all look pretty much the same. There is customization, yes, but we can't get new stuff, so all the avatars have the same sort of look. So, I'd say -- maybe KI screenshots, and an IM application (using KI numbers), and a way to read your KI messages while not in Uru. There might be other stuff, but that's all I can think of.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:28 am 

Still just reading the thread I wanted to comment on
what dj wrote about changing where the bulk of KI content is stored. I tried to find the old threads but could not find them by search. It boiled down to, during MOUL, that when the URU-KI opens up to show content from your PC in the game, that content can easily be modified to come from outside the game. I don't think there is a need to explore, or discuss the problems and uses this has in this thread. Just bear it in mind. When there was a commercial distributor of the game it made sense to block such properties though.

Oh! heck I'd like to make a comment too.
I think community apps or network for URUites is nice. I won't say id does anything for 'retention', or numbers in the cavern. Facebook for URUites is something I think would be nice.
Anyway, on the main topic. These things are not important in comparison to actually building on the open source server and the tools to do ages in Blender etc. That is where individuals in the community really has moved URU forward. I agree with those earlier in the thread that argues in this direction. Encourage and applaud voluntary work in voluntary directions. I think the ethics of Kant sucks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:35 pm 

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:08 am 

-Stu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:32 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:58 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:02 am 
Obduction Backer

Location: Hanging around with mermaids. And still looking for the elusive Funky Bahro.

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Magical Mystery TOOO 643784
Institution TOOO 816645
TOOO 816776

~and featuring~

Murinna (the mermaid) 2484723
Mallina (the other mermaid) 3015052

Second Life: TOOO Fall

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:15 am 

For fun, and I will guess it won't be so hard to do, add in an ability to dive. When I get stuck on a cliff and have to relto out, I would just as soon dive....... :roll:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12