It is currently Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:28 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 6:54 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 8:43 am 

-Stu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 3:16 pm 

Frankly I'm not sure how many of the last two pages of posts have anything to do with the topic at hand. Nalates asked: "what is it we are going to change that would interest people in logging in every day?"

Only two things come readily to mind, and they are two sides of the same coin. Both would be necessary. First would be to develop a mechanism for personal accumulation, coupled with the creation of objects to collect. Second would be to develop a currency based economy. Both of these ideas are so unlikely to occur that it seems strange to even state them.

Only living things grow. Frankly, the only method for significant growth and player retention is through deep and significant changes to the very nature of the game. It seems highly unlikely that enough fresh, new and creative energy remains in the community with the ability to overcome the stagnant and repetitive thinking that refuses to recognize that one can't have her cake and eat it too. Most of what is left of the community seems to be those stuck in the idea that Uru as it is can be salvaged without major, identity changing alterations. Not being able, or worse yet, refusing to see the forest for the trees is as crippling as the increasingly arcane technology at the foundation of the game.

Uru failed to grow after putting millions of dollars, and hundreds of thousands of hours in highly skilled professional labor into it. The reasons are clear. It is a game, not a Phoenix. Trying to significantly rehabilitate the same mechanism employing only superficial changes by hobbyists is an exercise in futility. Most everything in the world has changed around it while Uru has remained stuck.

I might be tempted to log in if I could see the game as anything other than a dried out husk.

...I seem to recall that It was paraphrased by a fan somewhere in these forums that RAWA once might have said that they didn't have a firm release date -- shortest would be 1 year, longest would be 3,4,8 or 10 years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 4:00 pm 
Obduction Backer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 6:14 pm 

Last edited by darkgriffin on Wed May 18, 2011 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 7:59 pm 
Obduction Backer

Maybe it's because I have a slightly different perspective on it than you do. As a developer, I have worked for the past 6 years on a variety of things for Plasma fan content creation. I have contributed to PyPRP, PRP Explorer, and libHSPlasma--I have also written (completely on my own) WhoM, a very popular application (this admittedly has nothing to do with UCC). To be able to do this, I spent an unimaginable amount of time reading the x86 assembly of UruExplorer.exe from MOUL, PotS, UU, and even Myst 5's eoa.exe.

Now, coming in here and reading someone (Stu) who has obviously not done any sort of research on the age creation process (this is evidenced by his not knowing about PyPRP, which has been around for longer than I've been doing Plasma Development) dismisses several years of my work as "not having all the bells and whistles" without even trying the program, I get pretty angry. Criticism is one thing, but utter trivialization of not just mine but several other people's work is just not cool. What is cool: "The waveset AlcScript is horribly complex. Why don't you do X feasible solution instead?" or "I really dislike AlcScript. When will we get proper GUIs?"

I do hope that you (all) will hear and understand what I am trying to tell you (all). Unfortunately, experience tells me that doing so is quite futile.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 8:01 pm 

-Stu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 8:36 pm 
Obduction Backer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 8:39 pm 
Obduction Backer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 8:48 pm 

-Stu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 8:54 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:08 pm 
Obduction Backer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:14 pm 

Last edited by Whilyam on Wed May 18, 2011 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next