It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:18 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 6:29 pm 
Obduction Backer

Posted else where.
Quote:
So you have a couple of people liking it...

But do you have ANYONE to build it? or wire it?

Because the people you need to convince are not random people on a forum, any forum at all. But the people building and wiring the Age. Once you've got /their/ co-operation, than you can start saying you've got people that agree. Because random voices on a forum are meaningless without people actually doing the work of getting it in-game. >>>>snip SF

IMHO a great reality check here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 7:05 pm 

Is there any central place for putting age ideas where the public can vote if they like it or not? While getting the public's approval wouldn't mean an age would ever be created, it would indicate to the age builders on what concepts the general public like and as a result what they may like.

I agree that only having people who don't make ages like your idea won't make your idea anymore of a reality.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 7:26 pm 
Obduction Backer

Stucuk wrote:
Is there any central place for putting age ideas where the public can vote if they like it or not?>>>> snip SF

How about right here on MOULa in forum "Suggestions For great ideas that can inspire the open-source developers and designers".

I would think that the open-source developers and designers would come here if there was any interest on their part. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 7:30 pm 

lol, granted, but i meant something dedicated just to ages, so that age builders wouldn't have to filter through ideas which had nothing to do with ages.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 7:34 pm 

In my opinion, I think the idea of creating an age in this way may be a ways off. Most (not all) programmers/age-writer have their own ideas already, and are not interested in doing other people's ages. A group concensus is a nice idea, but doesn't always inspire people to work. Where there's no motivation, such as compensation, few people want to work on an idea that they don't have a large amount of input on, hence most (again- not all) age creators work alone or in very small groups, writing their own backstory and developing their own visuals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:02 pm 
Obduction Backer

Stucuk wrote:
lol, granted, but i meant something dedicated just to ages, so that age builders wouldn't have to filter through ideas which had nothing to do with ages.

I would post a request in the 'Suggestions forum' here on MOULa for such a dedicated forum... :idea:

and or start a thread here like many other folks have done, with the first few post slots left open to populate with consensus information gleamed from the on-going dialog. :idea:

If it holds weight it will get a sticky or a forum. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:04 pm 

Yep... getting a complete age made, requires skilled people capable of developing the 3d art, the scripting, and the audio/music... the idea and design (maps/layouts, concept art sketches, puzzle design, story, etc) are only a small fraction of the actual work involved in making an age.

Most of the effort is in modeling and texturing the world in a 3d application, coding the interactions, and creating ambient audio and music tracks to give it atmosphere. There is a huge investment of time and effort required to do all of this and do it well.

Unless you can:

-Somehow convince skilled, experienced people to work on your age for an extended length of time.
-Go through the learning process needed to become one of those skilled, experienced people and then commit to work on your own age for an extended length of time

Your idea for an age probably won't go anywhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:39 pm 
Obduction Backer

I agree with your point, fi, though it seems to have gone over everyone else's head given the above tangential discussion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 1:31 am 
Obduction Backer

matthornb wrote:
Most of the effort is in modeling and texturing the world in a 3d application, coding the interactions, and creating ambient audio and music tracks to give it atmosphere. There is a huge investment of time and effort required to do all of this and do it well.

Actually, we'd benefit significantly from having an age development library filled with rocks, trees, textures, sounds, music, etc., that people could use and re-use in their ages. That would greatly reduce the time required to develop new ages.

What's more, a library of this sort would be a lot more compatible with a request system, since the time needed to create a tree or three on request would be small enough that people would be a lot more likely to commit to such a project, compared to joining a project to develop an entire age from scratch. (In some cases, the time required would be to simply extract the requested item from their own age and post it.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 6:24 pm 

@Dachannien, a library of objects was started on the GoMa forum.

We have loads of 3D models on numerous sites across the net. Some free, some for purchase. The idea at GoMa was to collect the objects that give an age a definite Myst-Uru feel.

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 6:46 pm 
Obduction Backer

This is spinning off topic fast so I'll just add to that. :wink: :lol:
Nalates wrote:
a library of objects was started on the GoMa forum.

Gotta linky?

Sorry, I searched and can't locate it. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 9:25 pm 

semplerfi wrote:
This is spinning off topic fast so I'll just add to that. :wink: :lol:
Nalates wrote:
a library of objects was started on the GoMa forum.

Gotta linky?

Sorry, I searched and can't locate it. :oops:

I think this may be the one :)

http://www.guildofmaintainers.org/Forum ... .php?f=144

KI#46415
KI#80658

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 9:33 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thanks Jamey. 8)

WOW that puppy was buried. :wink:

Board index » Age Development » Age Creation Tutorials » Age Creation With Blender » Blender Mesh Repository

Post subject: Lock'um Danno...
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 9:38 pm 
Obduction Backer

Ok, "reality check" completed. :wink:

"Lock'um Danno"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 11:54 pm 
Obduction Backer

Locking at op's request

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next