It is currently Sat May 25, 2019 3:36 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:02 am 
Obduction Backer

I'm a little unclear on the exact implications of the rule that only Yeesha can Link to a specific instance of an Age.

Suppose there exists a non-Yeesha character who knows enough of the Art to be able to write Linking Books in the standard way. That is, given proper materials and time, they can create a Linking Book that leads to their current location. Then, suppose that this character creates a Linking Book in an instanced Age.

The obvious result would be that that Book always links to the particular instance it was Written in, just as it always links to the particular location it was Written at.

This would imply a weaker form of the Yeesha-only rule, however. It means that anyone (that can create Linking Books) can (in fact, must) create linking books that are stably bound to a particular instance, but only Yeesha can Link to an arbitrary instance. It also implicitly reserves to Yeesha the ability to create a Book that may Link to different instances under different circumstances.

The inverse interpretation would be that the Linking Book would be inherently unstable or unpredictable regarding which instance it Linked to, and only Yeesha can create Linking Books that are stably bound to a particular instance. This allows fans more wiggle room in certain areas to get their characters into weird situations involving instancing.

Has this been established definitely? If not, would I need to avoid writing Linking Books in instanced Ages altogether in order to stay within RAWA's Rules of Order?

I personally favor the first interpretation; I feel that, in general, things should make sense by default until Yeesha comes in and messes things up.

Have Ages, and link to them without bindings. [Words 1:13]
Seltani

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:29 am 

I would agree, except for the Nexus, which can link to any instance to which you've been invited.

Eyen waxen
3: 7)$]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:33 am 
Obduction Backer

And even then, the Nexus is an Age not a Linking Book -- arguably, each instance you've been invited to could have its own Linking Book that comes out of the machine. (This would imply, though, that Yeesha hacked the Nexus for our convenience, which seems uncharacteristic. On the other hand, the Nexus interface is certainly aware of the concept of separate instances... I have no idea what's going on.)

The real trick with instancing the Nexus is linking in, not out. Two people can use the same Book to Nexus, one right after the other, and they won't run into each other. I can think of ways to fake that without instancing, but I think we're meant to believe that it's instanced.

Have Ages, and link to them without bindings. [Words 1:13]
Seltani

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]