It is currently Sun May 26, 2019 11:06 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Riven Remake
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:42 am 

Google Alerts turns up all sorts of things…

Looking for coders for Myst game remake

Render XXV

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:07 am 

Thanks Nalates. One for the GoMe news feed which I have just done. :D I will watch the progress of this project, sounds interesting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:08 pm 
Obduction Backer

This looks really interesting. The work they've done so far is great. :)

I'm just wondering... does this have Cyan's endorsement? Because recreating a whole game seems like it would be a little sticky in terms of intellectual property.

I'm not the copyright police or anything, but I do hope they've gotten permission. In skimming the site, I didn't see any indication they did, but I may just have missed it.

(They're also referring to Tay as "Moiety." Which is an understandable oversight, but I'm wondering if I should let them know.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:34 pm 

I showed this to Chogon a while ago via PM:

Quote:
Hi there Chogon,

http://starryexpanse.wordpress.com/

These fans are remaking Riven for Uru... I have to say that I'm personally amazed by what they've done so far... :shock:

I'm not involved in the project myself, I only wanted to ask Cyan if they knew anything about this.

I've only sent the information about this project to you in this PM as of now, as I was not sure whether to send this PM to you or RAWA. Should I send him this information as well?

- Jamey

Quote:
Thanks Jamey.

I'll pass it on to others at Cyan that would be interested.
It is amazing what they have done... but remembering back at doing Riven the first time, they have decades to go ;)

Thanks,
Mark

KI#46415
KI#80658

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:40 pm 
Obduction Backer

Looks like Cyan is cool with it, then. Neat. :)

I look forward to seeing this project come to fruition.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:08 am 

:shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:43 pm 

This is great!

I nostalgiad.

The site didn't say... but I take it that the ultimate goal is to have Riven on Uru as multiplayer?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:55 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

From what I could figure out, they talked about having abandoned the Plasma engine in favour of the Blender game engine. The latter means nothing to me, but I'd guess that probably precludes porting anything into Uru, at least in the short term. It sounds to me more like they're trying to do for Riven what RealMyst was to the original Myst, i.e. a 3D walk-around, single player game.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:46 pm 

I don't see how Riven could be incorporated into Uru since the events in Riven pre-date the discovery of the Cavern. We have the Riven Remnants just sitting there in the Cleft. Timewise, Riven was destroyed a couple of hundred years ago, before the birth of Yeesha. I suppose some "device" could be incorporated to allow people to relive events that happened before the present like the early missions do in Guild Wars when a foreign character from one compaign starts a different campaign. Many have wanted the ability to revisit past events in Uru. Of course, someone would have to come up with a plausible way to do this.

Switching course in the middle of a post, Chogon's response seems to indicate that Cyan is interested in keeping an eye on the Riven remake project but doesn't seem concerned that it will become a issue any time soon.

Edited for spelling...

Last edited by johnsojc on Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:10 am 

It doesn't have to work with the canon. It's a user-created mod, I guess you just use a book and link to Riven. No need to work it out with the canon.

However now that they changed it into a different game engine, I guess that won't be a trouble anymore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:25 pm 
Obduction Backer

When Uru going open source was first announced, there was discussion in the official posts (not a promise to do it, but the idea was floated) of having a "canon" section with events and Ages taking place in the current timeframe and considered 'real' within the game world, and a "library" section for stories and Ages that were historical re-creations or works of fiction. If they did go this direction, it would make sense to have an explorable Riven in the latter section. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:23 am 
Obduction Backer

Jamey, Nalates, I may note that the creators of this project /specifically/ asked that this not be posted here, and they also kindly asked that it not be posted to Cyan (as they were not ready for that).

So.. why did you? There's a topic on this in the GoW forums, posted by the devs...

But why did you feel you should go directly against their wishes?

And Jamey, this isn't the first time you've done this sort of thing.. why do you persist in doing this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:26 pm 
Obduction Backer

While I certainly wouldn't want to encourage anyone to go against anyone else's wishes, I have to point out that the Starry Expanse group has a public website, and are already inviting people to join their beta test.

The odds that someone is going to find their website by chance are... pretty high, given how often the topic of a Riven remake seems to come up. So... I really don't see how there's a reasonable expectation of secrecy at this point?

If they're not ready for Cyan to be in the full loop about their work, they need to seriously dial back how much info they're releasing to the general public. Because you know, I read their website (but not the GoW topic,) and I had no reason to think I couldn't mention it to Cyan if it had somehow come up. I had no reason to think I couldn't discuss it on the boards.

People from these game companies do read fan sites, whether or not those sites are specifically brought to their attention. (I discovered this with the Narayani Collective site; someone "official" who I wouldn't ever have thought in a million years would care about something like that actually read quite a bit of it. The person liked it and it was no issue, but I realized then that anything posted on the internet is fair game.)

As I said, I'm not endorsing that information be posted when someone has specifically requested that it not be. But given how public they're being, the Starry Expanse folks really need to expect this is fair game for discussion. I could just as easily have started this topic, not knowing the situation. If they want to keep this at all private, they need to... actually be a little private about it. The "general public" is anyone, not just those they choose to share information with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:08 pm 

I only see a request to keep their names private; not the project itself.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next