It is currently Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:08 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 471 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 32  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 2:10 pm 

Very Nice. I downloaded iMyst. It only took about 25 minutes for it to download here. It did stick a little for a minute or five, but I tend to multi-task my phone without realizing that I'm doing it. Too many apps going on at one time...

Anyway, the wait was worth it. If Riven's next, I'll be standing in que for that one too.

Ahvree
Ruby O'Degee

EDIT: oh, and it was an inexpensive $5.99 :D, Only one fancy coffee's worth. I can postpone the coffee.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 2:32 pm 

The game plays great on my iPhone. Transitions are seemless. It almost appears to be a little better than I remember back in the day. Kudos to Chogon and the Cyan team for a true Myst port that's worth investing a lot of time playing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 2:41 pm 
Obduction Backer

Erik wrote:
Yeah, I think the rating is fair... I thought the rooms of the brothers were quite scary when I first played Myst. :P Besides, I don't think there's anyone with an iPhone or iPod touch younger than 9.

I wrote a praising review for the Dutch app store... now it's 'under review'. I hope the review process for reviews doesn't take as long as we had to wait on Myst. :lol: I also sent the news to the biggest Dutch computer news website... hopefully they will mention it. For Myst, it's a bit unfortunate that App store ratings and reviews are per country, but we'll see how it turns out! :)

EDIT: At the time of writing, Myst is the 100th best paid app in the game category in the Dutch app store! :D

I wrote a review and gave 5 stars (American iTunes) last night and it appears today. . . so doesn't take too long apparently! :lol:

Just checked and under Adventure games Myst is listed as 49th in the top paid apps :lol:

Last edited by Mystdee on Sun May 03, 2009 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 2:48 pm 
Obduction Backer

Ahvree wrote:
Very Nice. I downloaded iMyst. It only took about 25 minutes for it to download here. It did stick a little for a minute or five, but I tend to multi-task my phone without realizing that I'm doing it. Too many apps going on at one time...

Anyway, the wait was worth it. If Riven's next, I'll be standing in que for that one too.

Ahvree
Ruby O'Degee

EDIT: oh, and it was an inexpensive $5.99 :D, Only one fancy coffee's worth. I can postpone the coffee.

It is part of the install. . .all the times I have downloaded it, during testing, there was that time it seemed to "stick" must be certain components that take a bit longer. . .we had been informed by Chogon that it would happen, so never thought anything of it. . . :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 3:04 pm 

thesaxmaniac wrote:
Also, chucker, I was just saying that Apple taking 30% was not fair because of what the developers have to put up with. I think that Cyan should have to pay them less because Apple cost them money. It's not free to have Chogan upload the binary again.

Unless Cyan's Internet connection has some odd bandwidth or time cap, yes, it is free to upload again. And again. And again. Apple doesn't charge for that.

They charge for a developer license ($99), which is a one-time fee for an unlimited amount of apps for you to publish. And they take a 30% cut of paid downloads of your apps (if your app is free, they don't take a cut).

Those $99 kind of hurt (indeed, they have thus far kept me from tinkering around), but once you stack them up against the competition, they're hardly expensive, especially given that the entire SDK is a free download — not a "lite" edition, but a fully functional one.

Quote:
As dumb as that sounds, it's just not fair to Cyan and other developers and on top having to wait an eternity for your app to be accepted or rejected, you have to pay them 30%.

I don't know about "dumb", but how about "misleading" or "inaccurate". You're not paying Apple for the privilege of having your app up there. You're giving them a 30% cut for free marketing, free bandwidth, and free spread to a fast-increasing audience (already over 30 million people).

-----

To get back on topic, though: bought it, installed it, works fine. I could indeed find it merely by searching for "Myst", though it took a bit of scrolling.

(Or something.)

Last edited by chucker on Sun May 03, 2009 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 3:30 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
chucker wrote:
thesaxmaniac wrote:
It's not free to have Chogan upload the binary again.

Unless Cyan's Internet connection has some odd bandwidth or time cap, yes, it is free to upload again.

Nit: Surely he was referring to Chogon's time since he's a paid employee doing the uploading.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 3:43 pm 
Obduction Backer

Ashler wrote:
Been checking this forum for a long time, for the release of Myst on the iphone.
Just registered to say that I have bought and downloaded the game. Huge fan of the series. :)

(Now if they would just start working on Riven ;))

Greetz.

Welcome! ;)

I noticed the butterflies on Myst are gone. I guess that's because videos couldn't be overlayed, as Chogon explained some time ago.

I also afraid that I discovered some bugs... but I won't mention that in any review of course. ;)

Last edited by Erik on Sun May 03, 2009 8:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 3:56 pm 
Obduction Backer

mtn'man wrote:
thesaxmaniac wrote:
On Comcast cable it would only take like 5 minutes :(

Na, it took like about 15 minutes I guess.

Beautiful, but miss the "zip mode". Thanks Cyan Worlds! Saw the Sunsoft credit too.

mtn'man go into the options screen turn the transitions speed all the way up. . .that is "zip mode" but be aware, like in the original Myst in zip mode you will skip through certain things. . .for instance the elevator in the tower will skip the animation during the ride. . .you will just arrive. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 4:55 pm 

congratulations on the release. wonderful news.

"We Build Worlds"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 5:13 pm 

got it. not sure how many versions of Myst I have now. I think it must be 4.
Original, Masterpiece, Real, and i. Yup, 4 it is!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 5:36 pm 
Obduction Backer

I saw a video of the game on the iPod Touch.

Now I want one. I don't really want an iPhone (pretty happy with my Motorola Q) but I want to play Myst on an iPod Touch. I don't want it for the music - I'm happy with my Creative Nomad MP3 player, and I don't have to go through iTunes to get music on the device. The iPod touch looks like a good, perhaps great portable gaming machine. Aside from Myst (the best, best, best, of course) - everyone is making games for those Apple touch devices. The games are cheap too, and sometimes free.

I want my little portable Myst.

Sigh - there's my Nintendo DS (have Myst for that - looks good - though I know it's buggy) - a great device, no complaints, I love it. There's my old Palm TX - I still play Village Sims on it and Acid Free Cell. Now there's the iPod Touch - what's next? But - I must have the little Myst! What the heck was I thinking - I can't resist! I had no intention of buying a portable Apple device (don't like the restrictions) but there you have it - Myst is pulling me in! Ah well - I'll have to see the most recent way to jailbreak it.

Of all the solo player Myst series games - Myst is still my absolute favorite, and Myst has that great populist appeal. What a great game.

Last edited by mszv on Sun May 03, 2009 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 5:43 pm 

Restrictions? never ran into any
no copy protection on the itunes purchases anymore

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 6:20 pm 
Obduction Backer

I don't like it that you have to use iTunes to get stuff on your portable device. I don't like the Apple proprietary format, for either music or videos. I do know that you can put MP3s on the Apple portable devices, which is good. As far as I know, you have to convert your videos to the Apple format - unless that changed. That so does not work for me. I don't like how, with iTunes, you can only put your stuff on selected devices, though, yes, I agree, the number of devices is a good number.

But - for Myst, and the other game goodies out there - I may have to sacrifice! I planned to never buy a portable Apple device, or any Apple product, for that matter, but darn it - Myst (and the other games) you are saying my name!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 6:31 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: First trailer to the right, and straight down till morning.
mszv wrote:
I don't like it that you have to use iTunes to get stuff on your portable device. I don't like the Apple proprietary format, for either music or videos. I do know that you can put MP3s on the Apple portable devices, which is good. As far as I know, you have to convert your videos to the Apple format - unless that changed. That so does not work for me. I don't like how, with iTunes, you can only put your stuff on selected devices, though, yes, I agree, the number of devices is a good number.

Most devices make you convert your videos into one format or another. Which format would you prefer iTunes supported? There are a million of them. It's a pity we can't settle on a single format. As for music, iTunes recently went DRM free on their music.

As for supported devices, if you think about it, iTunes was specifically created as a piece of software to sync music with the iPod. The store came later, but iTunes primary purpose is to serve as liaison with the iPod and its descendants. The only reason iTunes has taken off as a music store and an player, is because of the popularity of iPod.

Last edited by greendragoon on Sun May 03, 2009 8:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 6:49 pm 
Obduction Backer

Yes, where do we report bugs? I've run into a few too. Chogon? (Are you interested in bug reports at all?)

I just can't resist my urge to help you make this as great as possible. :)

No top 100 lists entered here in Switzerland yet, but it's number 4 in the adventure games category. No reviews yet either, but a draft of mine is written and will be posted once I have played a bit more of the game.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 471 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 32  Next