It is currently Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:18 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 471 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 32  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:50 pm 

mtn'man wrote:
...It would be nice if they would tell us the cost in the forum, if it has been determined.

I agree! I would love to know the price! Although a good guess would be from $6 to $10. :D

@thesaxmaniac
I agree completely! It would only be profit for Cyan! :)
If I didn't have Myst on the iPhone... Then it would just be boring! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:42 pm 
Obduction Backer

Once again, Cyan seems to be setting a precedence, as I have yet to see any other game on iTunes that is even close to the size or type of game Myst is. even some of the $10 apps/games are a fraction of the data/download size. . . so I guess we'll see!

very soon :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:06 am 

Quote:
Once again, Cyan seems to be setting a precedence, as I have yet to see any other game on iTunes that is even close to the size or type of game Myst is. even some of the $10 apps/games are a fraction of the data/download size. . . so I guess we'll see!

So, your saying it well be more expensive? :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:17 am 
Obduction Backer

No, Boaradoor, I have no idea what the cost will be, I was just speculating on the fact that they are probably still deciding, since there really isn't anything now to compare it to. . . . . .but I will say I think it is worth whatever they charge. . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:34 am 

Ohh I agree Mystdee! I was just wondering what you were saying? Now I get it :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:26 pm 
Obduction Backer

I've just found out that there is an application in the App Store of only 0.5 MB that costs 65 euros. :shock: There also is one that costs 80 euros (for just 0.6 MB)... :|

You might compare Myst to the game 1112. It's 6 euros for 138 MB. I played it and it's a nice adventure game, but you don't even get the full game, you pay for just one episode. The game is quickly finished and then you have to wait for the next episode to see how it continues... It's still a nice game though (and I think there are some references to Myst and Uru inside the game).
But Myst is about 4 times that filesize and is a complete game, so $10 would be rather cheap compared to 1112 (though a relative lower price would draw more customers).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:22 pm 

My bet is $20 to $25. I've seen some apps as high as $50 in the store. As big as this is, a number that high would not surprise me. If it goes above $25 it probably won't sell. The lower the price the more folks that will buy it, so it is a numbers game that they have to play.

Keep in mind the price of the original games when they came out (adjusting for inflation).

You are right when you say that there is nothing to compare it to at this point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:25 pm 
Obduction Backer

Erik wrote:
I've just found out that there is an application in the App Store of only 0.5 MB that costs 65 euros. :shock: There also is one that costs 80 euros (for just 0.6 MB)... :|

You might compare Myst to the game 1112. It's 6 euros for 138 MB. I played it and it's a nice adventure game, but you don't even get the full game, you pay for just one episode. The game is quickly finished and then you have to wait for the next episode to see how it continues... It's still a nice game though (and I think there are some references to Myst and Uru inside the game).
But Myst is about 4 times that filesize and is a complete game, so $10 would be rather cheap compared to 1112 (though a relative lower price would draw more customers).

Rand says (in the recent interview) Myst is about 500 mb but I have downloaded it, and know it's actually more at latest count. But I doubt that it will be $20 - $25, although I would pay that much, I am guessing less.

Last edited by Mystdee on Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:47 pm 

I hope so. I think the volume of sales would make up for the reduction of costs. If it were $15, it would fly out of the app store like crazy I bet. I paid $10 for an astronomy app and did not bat an eye.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:08 pm 
Obduction Backer

I agree Mtn'man I think once it's up Myst fans will hit buy app button without checking the price ;) I hope so, it really is good :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:35 pm 

In my opinion, they should set the price VERY low and hope for many sales. I just bought Wolfenstein 3-d, a game that came out around the same time as Myst, for $5. I don't expect I would have been as interested in it had it been any more expensive. I personally would not spend more than $10 for Myst on the iPhone because I already have so many versions of Myst as it is. Now, Riven? That's another story...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:06 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: First trailer to the right, and straight down till morning.
I'll put my money (literally) on $9.99. That is the happy medium on which most iPhone games released by major studios tend to go for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:17 pm 
Obduction Backer

Mystdee wrote:
The website says Myst is about 500 mb but I have downloaded it, and know it's actually more at latest count.

:shock:

That's very much not-good - that's going to scare away many, many potential buyers.

Sadly, I can see completely that it's 100% unavoidable, but I for one am going to struggle to allocate half a gig on my iPhone. Sure, it'll clearly be worth it for such a fantastic app (it's Myst, for crying out loud :D ); I know that, you know that, but the masses probably won't. If I didn't know anything about Myst, I personally would be reluctant to buy such a large app on the off-chance that it'd be good.

If your figure of over 500Mb is accurate, that's worrying.

"Never put Dolby on snake detectors"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:49 pm 

Analord wrote:
In my opinion, they should set the price VERY low and hope for many sales. I just bought Wolfenstein 3-d, a game that came out around the same time as Myst, for $5. I don't expect I would have been as interested in it had it been any more expensive. I personally would not spend more than $10 for Myst on the iPhone because I already have so many versions of Myst as it is. Now, Riven? That's another story...

I would say that 10 is the right price, and I agree that I would not want to spend more, since I'll probably be playing it right next to my computer. I think I own 2 copies of myst. I own like 4 of exile tho haha. I also don't think that file size should determine a game's price, since there are a lot of games that are huge and have very little content or are small and have an enormous amount of content. The reason myst is so big is because of the image quality and the number of images, which is not related to the playtime, value or game content. If you know what you are doing, you can see everything there is to see and do in Myst in under 2 hours.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:54 pm 

Oh and another thing, the only reason why 500mb should be a problem is that apple decided shortly after the release of the 3g that you couldn't download anything over 10 mb to your iphone unless you are on wifi.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 471 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 32  Next