It is currently Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:01 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:24 pm 

EowynCarter wrote:
A second the idea of an android port.

And we need a decent DS port !

Not sure if someone else said this but im pretty sure there IS myst on the DS... Actualy yea I know there is one, i played it on my friend's.
yea here http://www.gamespot.com/ds/adventure/myst/index.html

Oooh, i see you said DECENT ds port... Nevermind then haha.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:58 pm 

Some very clever people have found ways to trick android phones into storing apps on the SD card. I think it voids your warranty though ;)

Anyway I second the idea of an encrypted data file that can be downloaded separately from the app executable and kept on the SD card. This is definitely possible from a technical standpoint. My guess is cyan won't do it due to extra time needed to develop and test such a system.

(KI #266567).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:19 pm 

Chogon wrote:
The Android OS will only allow apps to load and run in the internal memory, which is generally pretty small. As far as I know, there are no Android devices that have a capacity to run an app as large as Myst. This includes the Nexus One.

Google has stated that they will eventually fix the Android OS to allow applications to be loaded on the SD card. When that happens then we can consider the possibility of putting Myst on an Android device.

Thanks,
Chogon

Could you not store the application data on the SD card? Basically the app is downloading the MYST contents AFTER it was installed. That way the app would be reasonably small.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:13 am 

Storing your apps on the SD card has been available, though not through officially supported Android ROMs, for a while. You could check out CyanogenMod which I believe supports Apps2SD, or something of that nature. There are so many ROMs and Android phones/devices out there I think it would be cumbersome to try and create a MYST port for Android.

Of course, if you could find an emulator that works on Android, might could give that a shot. I think from a developers standpoint, it's easier and safer on the iPhone, sadly for us.

There is always the option of VNC or remote desktop ;) for anyone foolish enough to go that route.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 1:14 pm 

Chogon wrote:
The Android OS will only allow apps to load and run in the internal memory, which is generally pretty small. As far as I know, there are no Android devices that have a capacity to run an app as large as Myst. This includes the Nexus One.

Google has stated that they will eventually fix the Android OS to allow applications to be loaded on the SD card. When that happens then we can consider the possibility of putting Myst on an Android device.

Thanks,
Chogon

If I may... if anyone has an HTC hero... the Damagecontrol release of Android 2.1 does include the (default) option to save apps to the memory card.

So, I believe the appropriate question would be, IF this becomes the official way to store apps in the future, will CYAN look into porting Myst/Riven to Android?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 3:27 pm 

As a proud owner of the Nexus One I'd love to show off Myst on it :D Right now you have to root your phone and run for example CyanogenMod (nothing to do with our beloved Cyan) on it to install apps on the SD card. However, rumors have it that the next version of Android (Froyo 2.2) will support it natively. I hope so!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 8:22 pm 
Obduction Backer

Well, the "can't use SD is load apps" ticket was closed, marked as "future release". Might be 2.2, or might be 2.3, or later.

MOUL ki : Ewilan : #07497427
MOULagain ki : Will tell if i manage to get in someday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 9:53 pm 
Obduction Backer

2.2 will have apps to SD card capability, and it should be coming in the next few weeks! WOOT!
http://android-developers.blogspot.com/ ... odies.html

KI#00001498
Officially bonked R.E.B.E.L.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:27 am 
Obduction Backer

Yeah. What I though when learning that was : no more excuses for no myst on android :)

MOUL ki : Ewilan : #07497427
MOULagain ki : Will tell if i manage to get in someday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:26 pm 

Again the executable could go in the main storage (without room for much else), and all the data can go on SD card.

What would interest me is an Uru client for Android.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:40 pm 

Now that Android 2.2 supports installation on a SD card, are there any plans to make an android version?
I'd love to have Myst on my Nexus One :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:03 am 
Obduction Backer

I am considering an Android system since there are lots of new devices coming out. I would love to play Myst on it. This is my vote for it!

A story: De Landria

Ghaelen: Moula.2 KI #64299

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:43 pm 

Google has made the Android source available (6/23/10). Reference

The thing has 8gb of storage so one could fit a MOUL client on an Android. The developers SDK is here. The 2.2 highlights are here. While OpenGL is available the MOUL use of DirectX and PhysX means a MOUL client is not likely any time soon. So far it appears there are no good 3D physics engines available, mostly 2D engines. So, Uru/MOUL is even more unlikely and time soon.

However, several game makers are looking at running the server and most of the client in the cloud and using a thin client to handle only user input and game display. All the physics and rendering happens in the cloud. That would still require changes to the MOUL client but way less than attempting to load a 3gb game and do physics and render on the Driod. So, that might happen sooner and would be more portable.

Myst doesn’t need physics or rendering. So, these changes may herald a coming arrival of Myst on Droid. :) I wouldn’t hold my breath… but, the hardware (or actually how software uses it) has changed and is more capable.

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:12 pm 
Obduction Backer

Tif got a Droid for his birthday, so you've got three testers over here just twiddling their thumbs... :)

KI#00001498
Officially bonked R.E.B.E.L.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:28 pm 
Obduction Backer

Make that four, I just ordered the Droid X, should be here within the week.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next