It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:33 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: iMyst on iPad?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:11 pm 
Obduction Backer

Steve Jobs just showed the new Apple iPad at today's press conference. It can run all the existing iPhone apps with doubled pixel size. But the app developers have the option to use the full resolution of the iPad; the claim is that the modified SDK makes it easy to do this.

Will Cyan be pursuing the development of a higher-resolution version of iMyst for the iPad? [I would think those full-screen movies forced on iMyst due to the limitations of the SDK would make the file size prohibitively large.]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:24 pm 

I was wondering about the capability of the iPad's 3D Graphics engine myself. Uru for the iPad? Hmmmmm :)

Ashtar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:28 pm 
Obduction Backer

Best live blogging of the conference, IMO

http://digitaldaily.allthingsd.com/2010 ... live-blog/

I suspect that iMyst (is that what it's called?) will look pretty good on the iPad, just as it is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:10 am 
Obduction Backer

Seriously, can you see the slate stuff from Myst V on this thing? 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:54 am 

Ashtar wrote:
I was wondering about the capability of the iPad's 3D Graphics engine myself. Uru for the iPad? Hmmmmm :)

It's OpenGL ES. Which makes it about as powerful as a 3DFX Voodoo 1, or an original PowerVR card (Which is, essentially, what it is).

So, no Uru, but maybe Descent or Quake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:07 pm 
Obduction Backer

mszv wrote:
I suspect that iMyst (is that what it's called?) will look pretty good on the iPad, just as it is.

I'm not sure... the resolution of game is really small, smaller than the PC version. But even then, it would be very cool to see! :D

I don't know if it's worth the effort to make another version of Myst with a higher resolution. But now that Cyan is already working on iRiven, it would be awesome if they take the iPad into account as well! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:52 am 

iRiven designed for iPad would be the ultimate experience and sell as grass!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:56 pm 

Personally, I can't see the iPad being very popular. There's really no market for them, in my opinion. It won't fit in your pocket, or really even most purses. Why not bring a netbook or laptop with more power and a keyboard, as well as being to run tens of thousands of 'apps', even ones not approved by Apple?

And if you want a small portable computer with access to the internet anywhere, and you'll have to pay for a data line, why not get an iPhone?

I'm not trying to ruin any fun, I think that Riven (And maybe even later Myst games, like Exile or Revalations???) would be great on the iPad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:07 pm 

It's really too early to tell. If the iPad is a success, the technical issues will vanish as newer versions increase in power. If not, then it probably wouldn't be a good business move anyhow.

Also, if you want a slate-like feel, pick up a cheap drawing tablet and use that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:24 pm 
Obduction Backer

What I really think would work well for the iPad is to make it with the book form factor like they were talking about with the new XO. ( http://blog.laptopmag.com/first-look-ol ... eration-20 ) You could fold it to a smaller more manageable size while at the same time protecting the screen. Those things would sell like hotcakes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:54 pm 

Steve's/Apple's ideas don't always work out. Time will tell.

iPad seems like a large, awkward book. I can see some advantages and disadvantages when compared to the Kindle. The $250 (Kindle) vs $600 (iPad) difference seems to make Kindle a better choice. I don't see the iPad as $350 better...

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:17 am 

What would make me buy this thing right of is if there was a X-windows like (but more refined) connection to my desktop Mac.
Yes that would simplify my everyday. Showing the consequence of e.g. a layout change at a lunch meeting, stuff like that. In combination with the general use as I understand it, I'd really like it.

I never bought a device because it can play a game. (with the exception of game and watch.

Post subject: Ipad
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:13 pm 

I agree. It's disappointment. Also, it is not clear to me if there is a flash memory card slot or capability to transfer files via USB cable. Although I like ipod touch or iphone to a point, I just don't understand why Apple makes it SO difficult to transfer files between devices.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:40 pm 
Obduction Backer

Rudolfson wrote:
What would make me buy this thing right of is if there was a X-windows like (but more refined) connection to my desktop Mac.

I believe you'll have it. The iSSH iPhone/iTouch application has a VNC client that tunnels through SSH and allows you to see/use a remote host's desktop from your i<whatever>. Including X11 forwarding for just specific client programs if you want. (Sorry for the techno-speak).

I can't imagine the authors of iSSH not upgrading it to the larger real estate of the iPad. And you should be able to run a VNC server on your Mac to make your desktop available to VNC clients.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:41 pm 
Obduction Backer

--Removed as duplicate--

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next