It is currently Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:09 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 16  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:26 am 
Obduction Backer

Chogon wrote:

The name on your device will just be Riven.
In the App Store the name is "Riven: The Sequel to Myst"

--Chogon

This may be a weird question but I usually search for my apps by developer so can I search Cyan Worlds to see Riven or will it be different like Myst in Japanese?

TOC#60089 DI#132103 MOULa is Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:33 am 

Hello ! Myst for iPhone and iPod was, and still is, a great port. Except for some scalling effects without keeping ratio (like the the organ and some control pannel) it's well done and great experience.

I was wondering if Riven will came in all languages at the same time on iTunes or firstly in english ? I'm a french player.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:46 am 
Obduction Backer

moi.renard wrote:
Hello ! Myst for iPhone and iPod was, and still is, a great port. Except for some scalling effects without keeping ratio (like the the organ and some control pannel) it's well done and great experience.

I was wondering if Riven will came in all languages at the same time on iTunes or firstly in english ? I'm a french player.

this has already been answered. the first release will be only english, and because of file size limitations, there will have to be one version for each language.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:55 pm 
Obduction Backer

Just out of curiosity, who here is still stuck on OS 3 land because their device isn't supported by Apple? Anybody? No?

/me goes and pouts in a corner

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:41 pm 
Site Admin

tarkaTheRotter wrote:
Is there a minimum iOS version that Riven will require?

tanshin wrote:
Just out of curiosity, who here is still stuck on OS 3 land because their device isn't supported by Apple?

Not to worry tarkaTheRotter and tanshin. Riven will run on iOS 3.1.3 and above while still taking advantage on newer iOS features. I too have a first gen iPod Touch and we couldn't leave us early adopters behind!

Trekluver wrote:
This may be a weird question but I usually search for my apps by developer so can I search Cyan Worlds to see Riven or will it be different like Myst in Japanese?

It will be released under Cyan Worlds.

moi.renard wrote:

This Riven will be in English only. Because of the size of the assets it would not be possible to include other languages in the same app.
As far as other language version of Riven, we do not have legal access to the French and German translations. So at this point it is unlikely they will be released. However, after this Riven is released that could change ;-)

hroar wrote:
1. Will there be an iPad version? I'd like to know if should wait for it, or start playing iPhone riven ASAP.
2. Will iPad riven, if it is ever released, have 608 by 392 size for its renders?
3. If I play iPhone riven on my iPad, will it display 608 by 392 or 480 by 320?

It might be easier to answer these in reverse order:
3) With this version of Riven (the iPhone version), on the iPad's iPhone simulation, the display will be either 480x320 or 960x640 - your choice. However, the images are 608x392. So, depending on how the iPad's iPhone simulation works, when you select 2X (the 960x640) it may take advantage of image's higher resolution, just like on the Retina display. But I am not sure. Check out Mystdee's images taken from an iPad in 2X.

2) If by chance we do an iPad only version of Riven, the images would still be in 608x392. However, I would think if we did do this we would give you the choice of displaying in the original size or expanding it to more of the screen (which may look pretty close to what it looks like using the iPhone version on the iPad in 2X).

1) That is the million dollar question... or at least the $5.99 question (heh). Like I have said we are still discussing that. We'll have to take a look at what it looks like and just how much better it is. We don't want to just make an iPad only version just to make one, it should be significantly better. Another option would be to make a universal app that would recognize that it is on an iPad and do some things to take advantage of the iPad and it would just come as an update to this version.
I am sorry I didn't really answer your question... yet.

Thanks,
Chogon

Last edited by Chogon on Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:45 pm 
Obduction Backer

Mystdee’s screenshots clearly show that the image is downsampled to 480×320 before being doubled to 960×640 on the iPad, which is a bit of a shame. This would obviously be improved in an iPad-native version. Compare to what it looks like on a retina display (iPod touch 4th generation), which preserves the full detail of the 608×392 original:

[spoiler=Click to reveal images.]Image
Image[/spoiler]

Also, the images could be compressed a little less in a “high-quality” version (that I still hope won’t be iPad-only :)) – there are some quite obvious JPEG artifacts here. If the limit is 2 GB, there’s some room left!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:12 pm 

Can i play Riven in french, japanese, german, italian,.....? Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:21 pm 
Obduction Backer

Yann wrote:
Can i play Riven in french, japanese, german, italian,.....? Thanks

See answer from Chogon:
Chogon wrote:
This Riven will be in English only. Because of the size of the assets it would not be possible to include other languages in the same app.
As far as other language version of Riven, we do not have legal access to the French and German translations. So at this point it is unlikely they will be released. However, after this Riven is released that could change ;-)
Thanks,
Chogon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:44 pm 
Obduction Backer

Christian Walther wrote:
Mystdee’s screenshots clearly show that the image is downsampled to 480×320 before being doubled to 960×640 on the iPad, which is a bit of a shame. This would obviously be improved in an iPad-native version. Compare to what it looks like on a retina display (iPod touch 4th generation), which preserves the full detail of the 608×392 original:

[spoiler=Click to reveal images.]Image
Image[/spoiler]

Also, the images could be compressed a little less in a “high-quality” version (that I still hope won’t be iPad-only :)) – there are some quite obvious JPEG artifacts here. If the limit is 2 GB, there’s some room left!

are you sure of this? I agree its a bit pixelated, but it would be pixaleted even if it was upscaled from 608x392. But if this is the case, then I would highly urge the developers to make a universal update as soon as possible, so that the iPad can use the higher resolution. Hope the devs can figure this out properly and fast :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:17 pm 
Obduction Backer

Yeah, running in the iPhone simulation mode on the iPad means that we get 480x320 graphics blown up to double-size pixels. That's really a shame considering that the higher-resolution images are part of the app.

In order to get more than 480x320 resolution on the iPad, the app needs to indicate that it supports the iPad's resolution (i.e. be marked 'Universal') and provide the appropriate NIB files telling it where to put things on the larger display. Since the game is apparently able to display higher resolution on the Retina Display and still work on the original 480x320 displays, there must already be something in place to handle scaling the images to the display resolution, so enabling it to use more resolution on the iPad's display shouldn't be a huge leap.

With something as immersive as Riven, it would be really nice to be able to see the highest resolution graphics possible, and not have them downsampled just to be pixel-doubled...

In any case, once the semester ends and I get a brief reprieve from grad-studentdom, I'm looking forward to revisiting Riven on my iPad. Good work, guys :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:00 pm 
Obduction Backer

RoTahgahm wrote:
Yeah, running in the iPhone simulation mode on the iPad means that we get 480x320 graphics blown up to double-size pixels. That's really a shame considering that the higher-resolution images are part of the app.

In order to get more than 480x320 resolution on the iPad, the app needs to indicate that it supports the iPad's resolution (i.e. be marked 'Universal') and provide the appropriate NIB files telling it where to put things on the larger display. Since the game is apparently able to display higher resolution on the Retina Display and still work on the original 480x320 displays, there must already be something in place to handle scaling the images to the display resolution, so enabling it to use more resolution on the iPad's display shouldn't be a huge leap.

With something as immersive as Riven, it would be really nice to be able to see the highest resolution graphics possible, and not have them downsampled just to be pixel-doubled...

In any case, once the semester ends and I get a brief reprieve from grad-studentdom, I'm looking forward to revisiting Riven on my iPad. Good work, guys :)

no, that is not true. a lot of iPhone only apps scale up using retinal display resolution in iOS4.2.1... and that is why I'm asking for a clarification on the subject from someone who actually know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:10 pm 
Obduction Backer

hroar wrote:
are you sure of this? I agree its a bit pixelated, but it would be pixaleted even if it was upscaled from 608x392.

After careful examination and comparison to the 608×392 original, I am pretty sure. Assuming, of course, that Mystdee’s screenshot is accurate – I don’t have an iPad to make one myself. See this detail:

[spoiler=Click to reveal image.]Image[/spoiler]

RoTahgahm wrote:
Yeah, running in the iPhone simulation mode on the iPad means that we get 480x320 graphics blown up to double-size pixels.

That’s what I thought too, but as hroar mentions, it appears to be more complex than that – if you look closely, you can see that on Mystdee’s iPad, the journals in the bottom left corner are high-res, only the background image is pixel-doubled. There must be some difference in the ways these parts are drawn, maybe Chogon can take a guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:56 pm 
Obduction Backer

This is a similar shot from PC version data files I THINK, IIRC, I got them with Reveal (have had them for a while). . . . the books do not appear on the screen in the previous versions they were hidden off the screen, so I expect they were added with the iPhone app, and that would be the reason for the difference in the clarity. . . .comparing this with my actual screen on the iPad and not the screenshot it's really close just slightly less "pretty" . . . IMO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:58 pm 
Obduction Backer

Christian Walther wrote:
After careful examination and comparison to the 608×392 original, I am pretty sure. Assuming, of course, that Mystdee’s screenshot is accurate – I don’t have an iPad to make one myself.

thanks for the new screens. I agree it looks like a upscale of the non-retiana version. Hopefully this will be sorted out in the next update or something. Atleast I hope it does :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:40 am 
Obduction Backer

I think one thing you're missing is that the current iPad does not support retena. It uses the same screen red type as the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd hen devices. So essentially it should have about 9 times the pixels of the iPhone 3GS. But it does sound to me like if Cyan updated the plist settings to incorporate iPad resolution then it should look pretty stinking good.

-

@Chogon

Has Cyan considered porting the plasma engine to iOS so URU and Myst V could be on the app store for iPad?

TOC#60089 DI#132103 MOULa is Image

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 16  Next