It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:50 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:11 am 
Obduction Backer

Oof, I can picture how big that would be. I'm not an expert on app store distribution but, if it were possible to detect what devices are associated with your Apple ID, then maybe iTunes could choose what files to download. Or it would download everything but only install the proper files for your device.

But chances are they'll be separate because I have no clue if that capability is available, and even if it were, Chogon probably wouldn't have said Riven HD would be released at a later date.

To be honest, Riven HD may just be enough to make me buy an iPad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:39 am 

One of the features I've seen mentioned that you can "Zoom in anywhere for more detail"

My guess is, if the hi-res images are already there to be zoomed in to, it would be very little trouble to get this game running at full retina display loveliness. At least, i would hope.

A confirmation as to whether riven will support the iPhone 4s retina display would be much appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:40 pm 

Second that. And can we have a better ETA than "Sometime this fall"? Puh-leaze? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:47 pm 

I'm guessing it's a "when it's done" kind of thing.

As they get close to completion, they'll be able to narrow down on a precise release date. :?

There's a downside to announcing specific release dates - if you wind up behind schedule and your estimate is wrong, people get annoyed with you. I've wound up with my projects taking forever, and my friends nag me about them constantly.

More and more, I'm learning that it's unwise to specify future release dates.

That happened to me with "Isola: Prologue", I missed my (too optimistic) release goals and a few people got irritated. (It's even worse with "Traveler's Enigma" - people are now openly questioning whether I'll ever finish it - or whether it's vaporware.)

Things tend to go wrong or take longer than expected in software development.

It's a fact of life, especially with small teams or lone individuals making a game. :(

Look at MQO, that's an example of Cyan Worlds falling way behind schedule. Look at Half-Life 2, when it was in production. They had all sorts of problems and delays but nonetheless ultimately turned out a hit game.

And then there are the games that are never finished at all, like Duke Nukem Forever, or the ones that are painfully outdated by the time they're finally released (Daikatana)

Sometimes taking a long time to release something is a curse - the market may have moved on by the time you release it -but sometimes the extra time spent just makes the game that much better when it finally does reach release.

A lot of the reality of being a Myst fan is, and has always been, waiting. We waited four years between "Myst" and "Riven", and another four years until "Myst III". We've waited through long stretches of "No new Uru content" - the Until Uru years, the painful span between MO:UL and MO:ULa, and even now that we have MO:ULa, we're *still* waiting for new content to be added to it.

It's no wonder that one of the themes of POTS was "patience". It's an appropriate message for anyone waiting for the next Myst game release, trying desperately to solve a tricky puzzle, waiting for something new to be added to Uru, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:37 pm 

Here's another thing: If the iPad photos are at a much higher resolution than the current PC game photos, couldn't someone write an installer that replaces the low-res photos with the high-res photos for those of us still playing on PC? That would be awesome!

Of course, I'll buy it on my iPod Touch, too. And I'll buy an iPad just for this game. :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:17 am 
Obduction Backer

I'm really looking forward to Riven for my iPhone. It sounds like it could be 'any day now'. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:22 pm 

Hello,
Is there any update on Riven for iOS?

I am eagerly awaiting Riven for my iPhone 3GS. I loved playing this with my mum when I was little and having a portable version in my pocket, playable whenever will be amazing.

One thing I wanted to ask is, will the game be multi task enabled?, If so then this will be excellent, it will allow us to multitask outof riven, make a note in "Notes" and go back. Or even better, Maybe Riven could include an ingame notepad for writing notes and sequences, one with a simple gesture to make it appear and then hide.

Please give us some form of date to anticipate.

Thanks

Neil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:00 pm 
Obduction Backer

Beta test call! I expect they'll get a flood of requests and mine will have barely any chance of getting accepted... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:52 pm 

Malfhok wrote:
Beta test call! I expect they'll get a flood of requests and mine will have barely any chance of getting accepted... :lol:

Sending a request anyway. My iPad is itching for Riven.

--The Doctor and Jeanne-Antoinette Poisson in "The Girl in the Fireplace.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:05 pm 
Obduction Backer

IMForeman, we have exactly the same line of thinking. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:52 pm 
Obduction Backer

I'm amused at how the views on that topic have spiked. They went from 29 to 100+ in a few hours :P

This is when I wish I had an iPad... but sadly the money just isn't there at the moment. Depending on how well iRiven turns out... I may be buying one. Plus, if you can use virtual textbooks, that may save me some money when I start college next year...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:47 pm 
Obduction Backer

Grr... I should have submitted my entry when I was first writing it. I have a second iPod touch that has iOS 4 capabilities (my main one is a first gen so... yeah), however I was waiting for that one to come home (family member had it) so I could get the remaining space for it, and by the time it did, the slots were probably full. If I had submitted when I did, I would have been one of the early submissions probably.

Oh well. I'm not sure if I'd have enough time to test anyways...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:25 pm 
Obduction Backer

NOOOOO!!! I missed the beta call?! Ugh!
I've helped test many iPhone games, and I would have loved beta-testing Riven!
I'm really disappointed. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:31 pm 

LN3000 wrote:
NOOOOO!!! I missed the beta call?! Ugh!
I've helped test many iPhone games, and I would have loved beta-testing Riven!
I'm really disappointed. :(

You're not the only who missed it. I completely missed the post, and so when I got on here a couple of days ago I saw it, and got excited, and then I saw the notice that the sign ups had already ended.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:32 am 

It's all right, I managed to get my request in, but remain Rivenless. Oh, well. I'll buy it when it's out.

--The Doctor and Jeanne-Antoinette Poisson in "The Girl in the Fireplace.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16  Next