It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:49 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Riven compromises
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:23 am 

I remember there being some serious issues with porting Riven to the iPhone, specifically multiple videos playing at once or just video playing in general being an issue. I'm curious as to what you had to do in order to get Riven to run properly on iOS, and also what the deal is with the resolution. Assuming there is eventually going to be an iPad port, how do you guys plan on updating the resolution of the original files, considering the fact that you didn't even update the iPhone's files for the retina display.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:00 am 

Please read and utilize existing threads before making redundant new ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:18 am 
Obduction Backer

Lars Nordstrom wrote:

Actually after scouring the forums for an hour I can safely say that everyone who asked a similar question was never answered. This topic is still very open and I myself would like to know that answer out of curiosity.

TOC#60089 DI#132103 MOULa is Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:21 am 
Obduction Backer

Well actually after a second look apparently the iPad HD images will be taken from original hi-res renders.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:14 am 

Trekluver wrote:
Well actually after a second look apparently the iPad HD images will be taken from original hi-res renders.

Where did you see this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:24 am 

Lars Nordstrom wrote:

Cyan has still not explained how they are making a Riven "HD". They didn't even update Riven to the retina display resolution so I am really curious to know what they are doing with the iPad version.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:12 pm 
Obduction Backer

They didn't update it for Retina because that would require re-rendering the whole game. Riven HD will be made from the original hi-res renders, which (hopefully) they still have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:57 pm 

And the reason that they wouldn't have to re-render the images for the iPad would be because the iPad has the same 4:3 screen as the original renders.

Post subject: Re: Riven compromises
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:27 pm 

thesaxmaniac wrote:
...considering the fact that you didn't even update the iPhone's files for the retina display.

Isn't this unfair? The new Retina screen only came out in the summer with the iPhone 4. iRiven has been in development for way longer...

Anyway, I'm looking in to grabbing an iPhone on contract. If I get it, I'm definitely grabbing iMyst and iRiven as a point of urgency. :p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:13 pm 

Ok, so if it's a ratio problem that's understandable. But there is also the 2 gb app limit. Those original hi-res renders that they supposedly made would probably take up over twice the amount of space, likely exceeding the app limit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:21 am 
Site Admin

There was no one thing that was done to solve multiple and non-full screen movies in Riven for the iPhone. With some we were able to combine several movies into one bigger full screen movie - like throwing a lever that raised a bridge. Other places we were able to make animation strips that we flip through (which can be done very efficiently using the GPU on the iPhone). And other places we did something completely different.

As far as re-rendering all the Riven assets to a higher resolution, that is not possible as the machines and the software that created the Riven images and movies are long gone (and there is no higher res images and movies stuck in some vault somewhere). But even if we could re-render everything, it would certainly blow the 2 Gig app limit out of the water.
And we do take advantage, albeit not fully, of the retina display (as I explained elsewhere).

As far as an iPad only or Universal app, we still discussing that.
("So much time and so little to do. Wait a minute. Strike that. Reverse it.")

Thanks,
Chogon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:56 am 

I'm sad to hear the much-believed rumor of higher res images in a vault is not true. :( Thanks for the response Chogon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:01 am 
Obduction Backer

And with an excellent quote too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:15 am 
Obduction Backer

Chogon wrote:
There was no one thing that was done to solve multiple and non-full screen movies in Riven for the iPhone. With some we were able to combine several movies into one bigger full screen movie - like throwing a lever that raised a bridge. Other places we were able to make animation strips that we flip through (which can be done very efficiently using the GPU on the iPhone). And other places we did something completely different.

As far as re-rendering all the Riven assets to a higher resolution, that is not possible as the machines and the software that created the Riven images and movies are long gone (and there is no higher res images and movies stuck in some vault somewhere). But even if we could re-render everything, it would certainly blow the 2 Gig app limit out of the water.
And we do take advantage, albeit not fully, of the retina display (as I explained elsewhere).

As far as an iPad only or Universal app, we still discussing that.
("So much time and so little to do. Wait a minute. Strike that. Reverse it.")

Thanks,
Chogon

Thanks Cho, I'm just glad you guys have done what you have so far. Playing Riven that doesn't crash is like eating as much as you want without having to take Alka Seltzer! :) I am a little disappointed that the Hi-Res renders from Riven is not in the underground secret D'ni vault with all of the other Cyan secrets but I guess you can't have everything in life. (Oh and I LOVE the Wonka quote!) :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:02 pm 
Obduction Backer

I didn't expect that every frame had been rendered at a high resolution originally (back then, they were probably were high-res :lol:), but it's a shame that re-rendering isn't possible any more. :( Although this knowledge probably kills a dream of many, at least this ends the speculation.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next