It is currently Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:02 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:46 am 
Obduction Backer

Installed yesterday on my brand-new 3rd gen iPad. Some reviews had led me to believe the performance would be horrible. This is not the case.

- Yes, linking takes Ages (sorry...), exacerbated by the fact that the progress bar seems to stand still for a long time, before actually starting to move. This really needs to be improved.
- Yes, there are hiccups when scenes are loaded.

- No, this does not make the game unplayable or even any less enjoyable. Not by a long shot. In the end, realMyst for iPad is the same enchanting experience that drew me into the Myst universe originally. The hiccups don't "throw me out of the game", any more than the original point-and-click interface did for Myst and Riven. (I mean, a universe consisting of a stack of cards? What was that all about?)

I hope Cyan will be able to improve performance, but even if not, this is still RealMyst! For the iPad! How cool is that? Worth every penny, as far as I'm concerned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:39 pm 
Obduction Backer

It's #7 for both paid iPad apps and paid iPad games. Which means, I believe, that it's gone further than the original.

If it can't get to #1, maybe it could go up to #5 for a good D'ni rank. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:49 pm 
Obduction Backer

I guess the us app store users have much lower standards than the Australian app store users - it peaked at about 40-something in the Australian app store and has since fallen further to 121. (that's all paid apps) it is currently at 76 for paid games. Not too great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:33 pm 
Obduction Backer

Ah. On the canadian store it's down to about 24.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:49 pm 
Obduction Backer

kaelisebonrai wrote:
I guess the us app store users have much lower standards than the Australian app store users.

De gustibus non est disputandum.

Can we talk about what's really important? From a quick test of two from Myst Island, the easter eggs appear not to have been transferred over.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:57 pm 

It's curious that the "forum support" link on the realMyst "Getting started" page comes here, especially since the "Cyan apps on Mobile devices" part of the forum has been locked for almost a year now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:07 pm 
Obduction Backer

No judgments, but it is fascinating to see how it performs so wildly different on the various country-specific stores.

MOULa KI #32712
MOULa KI #23298
MOUL KI #35129
D'mala KI #74265
Gehn KI #10113

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:28 pm 
Obduction Backer

Gahlen wrote:
It's curious that the "forum support" link on the realMyst "Getting started" page comes here, especially since the "Cyan apps on Mobile devices" part of the forum has been locked for almost a year now.

For now the Off Topic section will work. It is a good place to talk and to share your thoughts about the new device.
The Cyan World's mobile device apps was locked to make the forum more focused on MystOnline and to make it more streamlined and manageable.
But we never know what future brings. If this project is successful, Cyan may consider to reopen the section :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:37 pm 
Obduction Backer

veralun wrote:
For now the Off Topic section will work. It is a good place to talk and to share your thoughts about the new device

But a forum isn't a place for dialogue. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:11 am 

veralun wrote:
If this project is successful, Cyan may consider to reopen the section :wink:

Just for the record, I think the logic of this is backwards. If Cyan want this project to be successful, they would be wise to make their support system more visible. How many newcomers to Myst will look at the forum page and pick "Off-Topic" as the place for discussing their experiences on iOS, rather than see that the "iPhone and mobile devices" part of the forum is locked down and go away again? Offering support which is intuitively easy to find is the prerequisite of success, it shouldn't be made an eventual consequence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:18 am 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
Just for the record, I think the logic of this is backwards. If Cyan want this project to be successful, they would be wise to make their support system more visible. How many newcomers to Myst will look at the forum page and pick "Off-Topic" as the place for discussing their experiences on iOS, rather than see that the "iPhone and mobile devices" part of the forum is locked down and go away again? Offering support which is intuitively easy to find is the prerequisite of success, it shouldn't be made an eventual consequence.

Agreed. It would probably be wiser to link to this thread, or create a new one for that purpose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:45 am 
Obduction Backer

Gahlen wrote:
veralun wrote:
If this project is successful, Cyan may consider to reopen the section :wink:

QUICK! HE'S MAKING TOO MUCH SENSE! :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:46 am 
Obduction Backer

Zardoz wrote:
kaelisebonrai wrote:
I guess the us app store users have much lower standards than the Australian app store users.

De gustibus non est disputandum.

Saltus in demonstrando.

I have no interest in the matters of taste involved in my comment regarding the lower standards of the us store - but a game, which for all intents and purposes is worse in graphical, and general performance aspects to the iPad 1-supporting "Epic Citadel" demo, and is also a poor port of a lovely game, is not all that great. I loaded it - it looked promising, I got into the actual game, only to be met with a truly half-hearted effort.

For it to be so very successful in the US, yet not in .au, suggests lower standards.

Si hoc legere potes nimium eruditionis habes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:24 am 
Obduction Backer

kaelisebonrai wrote:
Si hoc legere potes nimium eruditionis habes.

The internet kinda ruins this one, doesn't it? ;)

MOULa KI #32712
MOULa KI #23298
MOUL KI #35129
D'mala KI #74265
Gehn KI #10113

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:04 pm 
Obduction Backer

@Deledrius: indeed.

Annd, here's my review.
http://www.guildofslackers.com/snews/20 ... -for-ipad/

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next