It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:43 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Who is left?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:40 pm 

Emor D'ni Lap wrote:
I still drop into the cavern once in awhile. When I can, I visit both the D'ni Museum of Art 'hood for their Monday and Thursday evening gatherings, and The Meeting Place's Sunday afternoon sessions.

I was wondering if peeps still gathered*...I don't visit the cavern much myself. Now that bots can pass along ki-mail, not much need for Cavern Criers anymore. Perhaps GoMe will restart the new Explorer orientations at some point, especially if the GoMe tavern someday opens to the public in the Ae'gura.

(*Nev's Note: Quoting Leo, "..And speak of the Path of the Shell." Sorry couldn't resist!!!)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:07 pm 
Obduction Backer

who was first, the criers or the bots :mrgreen:

Membre du quartier Mystpedia - KI 9392
Alts : EG Jan (gone) / Sleeper Jan KI (coming soon)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:09 pm 

janeerah wrote:

The Town Crier was first, in early 2006. How do I know? I was the first Crier, and invented the role. It started simply: go to the Plaza before an event and shout that it was happening, and then help people get their Teamspeak set up for it. Broader aspects of the role grew from there, responding to perceived needs.

In 2005, when I joined, there were many Uru-related forums and several shards where people could play. They all hosted events. I started gathering information about the events, which I assembled in a text editor and then copied to some of the forums. You may find references to the Intershard Ecumenism Society, which was a good idea with a name that didn't work well.

After I started the "Up On the Roof!" parties in late 2005, I added that event to the list and started publishing it as an in-Cavern KI-mail message. I updated it weekly. The idea proved to be popular--I'd been afraid players would see it as junk mail--and people would either update it directly or tell me of new events so that I could add them.

Guilds started becoming more active after D'Mala got going. I gladly handed off the Town Crier role to Nev'yn and the Messengers so that I could concentrate on the events themselves.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:43 am 

I haven't logged in in ages! I'm still lurking though. I've been about since Until Uru.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:21 am 

Lord Chaos wrote:
janeerah wrote:

The Town Crier was first, in early 2006. How do I know? I was the first Crier, and invented the role. It started simply: go to the Plaza before an event and shout that it was happening, and then help people get their Teamspeak set up for it. Broader aspects of the role grew from there, responding to perceived needs.

In 2005, when I joined, there were many Uru-related forums and several shards where people could play. They all hosted events. I started gathering information about the events, which I assembled in a text editor and then copied to some of the forums. You may find references to the Intershard Ecumenism Society, which was a good idea with a name that didn't work well.

After I started the "Up On the Roof!" parties in late 2005, I added that event to the list and started publishing it as an in-Cavern KI-mail message. I updated it weekly. The idea proved to be popular--I'd been afraid players would see it as junk mail--and people would either update it directly or tell me of new events so that I could add them.

Guilds started becoming more active after D'Mala got going. I gladly handed off the Town Crier role to Nev'yn and the Messengers so that I could concentrate on the events themselves.

And tbh, it wasn't even I whom LC "passed" the torch to...That was actually Lynnutte. The first of GoMe's Criers were from a combination of early Messengers and an earlier group called Relayers. I only revived them during the "increased" activity within the cavern before the "Great Crash" of the lattace many years ago.