It is currently Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:06 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: I'm a coward
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:53 pm 

There. Got your attention, didn't I.

Now let me explain why I'm a coward.

I bought a new laptop computer recently. It came with Windows Vista, since all the cheaper computers did, and I wanted to save money. I had intended to install Windows XP when I got the chance, having heard nasty things about Windows Vista.

So I just got a new copy of Windows XP (cheap, fortunately). I was going to install Windows XP on it, I was, really. But then I thought about it a little too much.

Honestly, all these nasty things I've heard about it quite failed to materialize. I didn't really like the memory-hogging UI, but that can actually be turned off. Yes I know I've heard that people say it stays loaded anyway, but honestly, I don't know how many of these people realize that you can also turn it OFF off, so it looks and acts like Pre-XP computers do. Is there research on the effects of that?

And I really do like some of the improvements in certain built-in applications like paint (zoom-out, for instance). Or the improved navigation system between folders.

So I'm not going to do it after all. I am a coward.

Well, unless they're playing video games, in which case heros die a lot too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:28 pm 

HA! i knew you were a coward!

well i dont love Vista either, and its a compatibility nightmare just like XP was, but the next computer ill buy will definately have vista, and i will keep it on there

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:32 pm 

crrash wrote:
HA! i knew you were a coward!

well i dont love Vista either, and its a compatibility nightmare just like XP was, but the next computer ill buy will definately have vista, and i will keep it on there

Really? I've had no problems whatsoever with compatibility. :?

Well, unless they're playing video games, in which case heros die a lot too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:48 pm 

thats what i heard from a developer friend and from everything i read. might not be completely true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:02 pm 
Obduction Backer

Won't find me touching Vista with a 20,000 mile long stick of wood. Unless I'm hopping onto Kehra's computer to update stuff for her.

If I get a new PC I'll be putting XP back on it as it is I plan to go mac or Linux.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:38 pm 
Obduction Backer

I think the problems with Vista have more to do with upgrading to it on a preexisting system than when you buy a new system with it on it.

You shouldn't have too many problems with it since this is a new laptop and has been built to work with Vista.

I don't think that's being a coward. I think that's being smart.

I have a free copy of Vista, but won't upgrade because I already did the compatibility test and there are too many factors that might be a problem, although Vista says it'll work. I just need to update a gazillion drivers and some of my software might not work. :?

Win 7 64bit-Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0GHz-4GB mem-EVGA GeForce GTX 260oc-Creative SB X-Fi Extreme Gamer - 15MB fiber optic conn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:55 am 
Obduction Backer

My primary fear of Vista is that the graphics layer has been completely re-engineered, and I do not trust Microsoft to get it right on the first try.

Maybe after SP1.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:05 am 

I've been using Vista since February and really haven't seen any of the problems that people were always talking about.

However, I also find myself using Ubuntu more often... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:49 am 

This is my perspective:

I have no idea whether the bugs have been worked out or not. They probably haven't. I know where I can get the 64 bit version very cheap, and I probably will try that out someday, just for testing purposes & to satisfy my curiosity. I would like to point out that when XP came out, I was scared to death of it. I heard so many negative things. I had a brief run in with ME, and I knew that was a disaster. Its implementation of restore caused many problems when it was used, and it rarely fixed anything. I almost was expecting the computer to explode, when I got my first laptop that was pre-loaded with XP.

The aftermath:
I didn't find any problems with XP. It was even the "Home" version. I found that things were faster, USB worked like it should, and everything was smooth. I was expecting tons of problems with old equipment & drivers. What I found was that USB devices worked, when they were plugged in. It was cool that I could terminate a hung program without restarting my machine or turning it off. I really liked the fact that when a virus nearly killed my machine, System restore made things as if it had never happened. A word about viri. The only time I've ever had a problem with a virus is when I've done something stupid. There is nothing inherent in the Windows OS that makes it more likely to get a virus.

This is the significance of my experience. I liked 98. I was perfectly satisfied with it, yet I think that XP was well worth the upgrade. Looking back, I wish that I had had a little less fear, when XP came out. I was surprised that many Dos things ran in command prompt mode. I see Vista in a similar position. It may have bugs now, but I think it is possibly the future of computing -- fortunately or unfortunately. Just as XP has pretty much phased out all occurances of Windows 9x, I think it likely that Vista will do the same to XP. While it might not be smart to get on board right now, I think that one should keep an open mind about it, once more vendors start supporting it. I guess the main question is whether Vista is to XP as XP was to 95, or is Vista to XP as Me was to 95. Keep in mind that next year's equipment might make all the resource hogging GUI stuff a moot point. It makes a difference, but it might not be noticable with advances in computing. Personally, if Vista is the way that computing is headed, then I might want to get familiar with its interface -- a little more sooner than later.

Just my 1/2 cent worth

Gathered Restorers Awaiting To Explore For URU Lives

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:04 am 
Obduction Backer

Just to throw my 2 cents in, I've been a Vista (32-Bit Home Premium) user since release day and I've been happy with it from day 1. I did use XP more at first (my PC is dual-partitioned), just because things like Gametap were not Vista compatible at the time. But now they are. And the drivers are better. So everything's kosher in my little PC world.

KI#76914
Moderator for the Official Gametap Forums

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:07 am 
Obduction Backer

Windows is Windows...period. There will *always* be problems with new OS releases. :roll:

YOU try to get an OS to work with a zillion different types of pcs and configurations... and a zillion more different types of hardware and software. UGH!

I usually spend about a week tweaking and refining... then leave it be. I've been running XP Pro for quite some time now... and never once had it crash or give me grief. Keep a good antivirus and firewall on there, and do the 'housekeeping' once a month and it should run fine!

I'll not be running right out to get Vista... although it looks interesting... until I need a new pc. Half the trick with Windows is knowing what you DONT need and getting rid of it :wink: Keep it lean and mean... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:11 am 
Obduction Backer

Vita is quite ok.
Not using it though, waiting for problems to be solved before ;)

I tested the RC2 on my PC, was horibly slow. I was surprised on how well the final version run on my father's computer with only a 512Mo ram... My father's PC is a bit more powerfull than mind, but not that much. Think windows did some fixes between RC2 and final version ;) Even with aero, it was quitte ok. (And I hate slow computers...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:14 pm 

Yeah, I'm not going Vista either. Instead, I'm looking at the Mattisse engine for Mandriva Linux (yes, might be dumping Ubuntu because it has some problems with my laptop :shock: ). Just as shiny and not as buggy.

Maybe try getting a partitioner like Partition Magic and using that to create an XP partition.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:28 pm 

Quote:
Yeah, I'm not going Vista either. Instead, I'm looking at the Mattisse engine for Mandriva Linux (yes, might be dumping Ubuntu because it has some problems with my laptop Shocked ). Just as shiny and not as buggy.

Maybe try getting a partitioner like Partition Magic and using that to create an XP partition.

Whats the Matisse engine?
I'm using Ubuntu as well as XP for Uru and 3DS Max, Does the Matisse engine for Mandriva Linux enable you to play Uru? or does Wine still need to catch up?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:56 pm 

Oh, it's nothing like that. It's pure eye candy. It's Mandriva's version of Aero when in GNOME. It allows you to do things like rotate windows in the third dimension and gives you a really good multiple desktop setup.

WINE and it's derivatives still don't support some Uru features, unfortuneaetly.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next