It is currently Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:52 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Changing more than URU
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 5:27 pm 

Toria and I were just discussing down in the caverns whether or not Live, if it goes global, will change ppls perceptions of the world.
I can see how so many ppl fear what they don't know and it leads to problems between countries but if I get to know ppl from those countries and see that they just want the same basic things as I do maybe things will be a little better off.
What's your take on this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 5:45 pm 

I've just found another friend from the Prologue and she's coming to Until URU! We're going to meet in the Amber Horizons hood on D'mala. I'm there now, with Sudre, who's currently AFK. So, c'mon and have a visit and a chat about your visions (and excitement!) about URU Live and all it's possibilities. Fun times, for sure! Would love to see anyone else arrive. :)

Yes, I think it'll help open doors, in answer to Sudre's question.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 5:57 pm 

any online gathering has the potential to have this effect, but an environment like Uru, perhaps, more than most games.

In online games that focus on grindgrindlevelfightgrind, the .. mechanics insulate you from the people? But Uru feels to me more like a very large D'ni based chat room? And that .. shrinking of distance and change in insights is something I've noted more within that kind of environment.

One of the nice things, I think, about the Uru setting, is that those of us in the cavern have come from the surface .. from earth, so to speak of ourselves and our origins is not out-setting? That really appeals to me in this context.

Post subject: Cultural Perceptions
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 2:04 am 

Playing UU has definitely changed my perception of the world. I suppose it will do so for others who play too. Over the past 10 months working on the CCN project (podcast) I've communicated regularly with people from many time zones. In most instances we share a culture in the cavern, and we share one outside of the cavern, but every once in awhile it is plenty obvious we don't. :lol:

For example, what I call the "cowboy independence" that many of us Americans feel or act out isn't always shared by Europeans. Sometimes humor isn't either, and its been a real IMing and PMing challenge to make one another understand 'where we are coming from". Most of the time we eventually find a way. Other times we giggle a little and decide to move on to something else.

In all cases we've decided our friendships and working friendship are way more important than our differences of opinion about this or that. Wouldn't it be nice if a "game" could bring about these exchanges? URU certainly has the potential to do that as groups of new friends try resolve a puzzle or complete a task. And even if some exchanges/solutions never work out --- for every one that doesn't 10 will. Those are pretty darn good odds.
8)
AnnD
Ahvree

Edit - an oh by the way -- this didn't happen for me during the prologue, because I rarely talked to persons out of my time zone, so I did not meet ppl from other countries. It was a convenience issue. I am kind of glad that things got a little less convenient during UU. We are fortunate we had to reach out and get up at 3:am to talk to someone. Sleep deprived maybe, but better for it :roll: [Okay--okay, so it wasn't all that pleasant to get up that early, but we did it anyway and still do. I hope we don't forget how when all those ppl come to join us]. :wink:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]