It is currently Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:28 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: Shorah!
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 4:28 am 
Obduction Backer

Shorah, everyone.

As you can see, this is my first post here.

On most other forums, I'd simply jump in and start posting; but here I felt that a proper introduction was in order.

I've been a (huge!) Myst fan since 1999, when a friend introduced me to Riven (still my favourite entry in the series proper, by the way).

Since then I've played all of the other games, read the three (marvelous) novels, bought all the soundtracks and the massive "From Myst to Riven" coffee-table book, studied bits and pieces of the D'ni language and wept along with everyone else at the cancellation of Uru Live.

However, the one thing which separates me from the rest of the Myst community as a whole is - very simply - that I've never actually been a part of it.

I've been a "lurker" on various Myst forums for years, reading posts here and there but never joining in the conversation.

So why am I here, now? Well, aside from the obvious answer that Uru Live is returning, I really must mention that the seeds of my renewed interest in the online community were actually sown some months ago when I started listening to the (very entertaining) The Cavern Today podcasts. It's been really fun getting to hear the voices, thoughts and opinions of Myst fans I'd previously recognised by screen-name only.

I've always been extremely impressed with the sort of people who make up the online Myst community - particularly in contrast with the juvenile and often churlish fanbase supported by so many other games - and listening to The Cavern Today strongly reinforced that opinion.

I realised increasingly that this community was something I very much wanted to be a part of, and the news that Uru Live would at last be allowed to live and grow again was all the impetus I needed.

So here I am. :)

Aside from being my favourite work of sub-creation (there's one for the Inklings fans!), Myst - and Uru in particular - have touched me very deeply over the years, and in many ways.

I've read many stories of Myst fans suffering from various ailments and disabilities who have found great freedom and enjoyment in the virtual exploration of the Myst universe. Thanks to an ongoing struggle with Lyme Disease, I can count myself among them.

Until about six years ago, I led a very active life - I enjoyed nothing more than a long hike in the wilderness, whether in the woods surrounding my house or in one of the many state parks in the area. Now I sometimes have trouble simply walking from one room to another, but Myst and Uru have provided a means for me to experience the quiet thrill of exploring out-of-doors from the comfort of my living-room - and that's been absolutely priceless.

I was never able to join the Called during the first opening of the Cavern, but I look forward with joyous anticipation to the return of Uru Live this winter. In the mean time, I hope to join you all on the D'mala Shard at some point in the near future.

Until soon,

-Alex

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 5:09 am 

Hi and welcome! I too am a long-time lurker with a similar reason for joining, so you're definitely not alone in that respect. De-lurkers unite!

Sosiqui in Cavern

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 5:42 am 

Welcome Alex.

Sounds like you have come to the right place.

You will find many people who are in the same situation who enjoy URU

Granny hugsssss to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 7:32 am 
Obduction Backer

Welcome Alex! :)
I look forward to meeting you soon in the Cavern!

Morningstar - KI#1053460
Please avoid drinking the lake water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 1:29 pm 

Welcome Alex!

Will look for you in the Cavern :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 1:47 pm 
Obduction Backer

Hi there Alex and welcome!

Don't be "too" impressed with us ;) What makes this community so great is that we are just a bunch of normal people. Dedicated, a bit crazy every now and then, but with a strong love these games.

I'm sure you'll find a warm second home here :)

Cu down there in the city

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 2:14 pm 
Obduction Backer

Marcello wrote:
What makes this community so great is that we are just a bunch of normal people.

This is too much. You've gone too far Marcello. I've been called many things before but this is a new low. I am NOT normal. :lol: Welcome Alex et. al.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 8:56 pm 

I walk around my house and places at work opening up books to the first picture I find and touching the page.... :shock:
I think that's far from normal. :D

Hello Alex and welcome to the padded rooms.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 2:54 am 

I was also a lurker. It seems as though the return of Uru Live is pulling the lurkers out of hiding!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 3:16 am 

yes, just look at all these new faces!

UruLive smells gooood!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 3:39 am 
Obduction Backer

Sudre wrote:
I walk around my house and places at work opening up books to the first picture I find and touching the page.... :shock:

-And I thought I was the only one! (laughs)

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone. :D

-Alex

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]