It is currently Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:43 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 927 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 58, 59, 60, 61, 62
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:58 am 
Obduction Backer

Rudolfson wrote:
I don't know mszv. The script is based on the book 'MYST the Book of Ti'ana'. Seems right to call it MYST then.

That's the same thinking that led to Uru being named Myst Online.

MOULa KI #32712
MOULa KI #23298
MOUL KI #35129
D'mala KI #74265
Gehn KI #10113

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:59 am 

Except, in this case, it's correct. "MYST: The Book of Ti'ana" allows for sequels involving the Book of Atrus and the Book of D'ni.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:49 pm 
Obduction Backer

mszv wrote:
Well, we'll see. The producers will have to accept the fact that it's not a Myst movie.

I think they will gladly accept that fact! A producer may know about Myst's popularity, but may also know that there isn't much in Myst itself to make a good movie. Let's face it, just Myst as a movie is just boring... watching the so called Stranger figure out things (on his own... in empty worlds...) and then to finally rescue Atrus. The only dialogue would be to the brothers and Atrus. And the ending? If people in the cinema were not convinced yet that they wasted their money, then the ending would! Myst is great as a game, but would suck as a movie.

So, I imagine producers being quite happy that there's a huge background story that this movie will be based on, with good dialogues, ethical questions, enough tension, rich characters, etcetera.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:03 pm 

One of the reasons why I thought that The Book of Atrus would make a better first Myst movie is because it tells the origin of Myst island. It's a self contained story that also set the stage for both Myst and Riven, the two games the general public is most likely to be aware of. Since Atrus in young in this story, it could also tap into the child fantasy hero market like Narnia and Harry Potter.

But with a big movie production of The Book of Ti'ana and given the nature of tie-in promotions, could we possibly see an all new Uru Live? Hopefully they'll use the word Uru as many times as they can in the movie!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:08 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Nerf Bludgeon wrote:
But with a big movie production of The Book of Ti'ana and given the nature of tie-in promotions, could we possibly see an all new Uru Live? Hopefully they'll use the word Uru as many times as they can in the movie!

Assuming a Hollywood marketing budget, it would be an opportune time to fully implement Anna's path "To D'ni" - i.e. The caldera, Great Shaft, and all the new set pieces found on Anna's way in. I would expect it to be mostly marketing and not a transition into a new Uru Live. The Open Uru efforts could act as hosts by then but I would think the studio or Cyan would want an official prersence as well. Assuming success, sequals could add additional content. When all is long gone (nothing more to milk), Open Uru could continue to host the content, rights allowing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:34 am 
Obduction Backer

Nerf Bludgeon wrote:
One of the reasons why I thought that The Book of Atrus would make a better first Myst movie is because it tells the origin of Myst island. It's a self contained story that also set the stage for both Myst and Riven, the two games the general public is most likely to be aware of.

That's my opinion as well. BoA is simultaneously the most stand-alone story and the one that's most tied to the series, paradoxically enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:29 pm 
Obduction Backer

There is a news post at Cyan's website regarding the Movie:
http://www.cyanworlds.com/news/?p=15

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:40 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Their option is old news, but not to the world at large. The news posted at Cyan's official website makes for a good letter of reference so everyone knows they're a legitimate production.

It would really, really help if P&A fixed their own announcement page.

:P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:37 pm 

LuigiHann wrote:
Nerf Bludgeon wrote:
One of the reasons why I thought that The Book of Atrus would make a better first Myst movie is because it tells the origin of Myst island. It's a self contained story that also set the stage for both Myst and Riven, the two games the general public is most likely to be aware of.

That's my opinion as well. BoA is simultaneously the most stand-alone story and the one that's most tied to the series, paradoxically enough.

I like the Idea of Ti'anna for a Myst movie. Only because I would prefer a movie that starts at the earliest point. Imagine if the first LOTR Movie to come out was Return of the king, then the other 2. Its like watching the ending first. And if this movie is a success, they may have a chance to do the rest.

Anyway, It's hard reading through some thier journals though. They've had a crazy journey so far, with all the different family issues and challenges.

Post subject: Re: Myst Movie
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:28 pm 

There is a little news on the Myst movie, Rand Miller did an interview in URU, here is the recording he talks about the Myst movie at 13 minutes;
http://www.allthingsuru.com/AllThingsUr ... 232013.mp3

There is also a summary of what he said here;
http://blog.nalates.net/2013/07/25/rand ... ve-at-dmr/

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:32 pm 
Obduction Backer

Summary of news: no news.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:38 pm 
Site Admin

Locking this topic -- please do not "revive" topics from 4 years ago! It appears as though a new topic has been made for the same post by Shon. Please refer to http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=22940&p=402249#p402249 if you would like to continue the conversation.
Whoops! Turns out that post was reviving an old thread as well! Shon, please start a new topic with that information if you'd like to begin discussion (again) of the Myst movie. Please do not cross-post.

Thanks!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 927 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 58, 59, 60, 61, 62