It is currently Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:50 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 927 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:32 am 
Creative Kingdoms

MysteriacP wrote:
Rand, specifically, was excited about the prospect of allowing both fans and the masses to see inside our heads as we put this whole thing together.

Thanks for your understanding attention and response, Patrick.

I appreciate the transparency with which you are approaching this project in the recent traditions of the likes of Peter Jackson and Michael Bay to stay in touch with their audience and show us how it's done. I hope you become as successful for this and future projects.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:56 pm 

Yay, we're all happy now :D

*hugs JW for forgiveness*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:35 pm 
Obduction Backer

Interesting article about Patrick and Adrian and the movie:

http://www.southbendtribune.com/apps/pb ... /299820178

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:47 pm 

WOW,Patrick changed...A LOT... :shock:

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:30 pm 

I never heard about Turner coming to the two. That was new info for me O-o

Thank god you two held out on em.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:50 am 

*nod*

Patrick cut his hair off a couple of years ago - it changed a lot. I also gained some weight last winter which I'm still working off. That's such a horrible picture of both of us. In the print version of the paper, it's almost blurred beyond recognition. Not sure what went wrong...

Regarding Turner -- heh heh heh - story's not over yet. Notice how the mystmovie.com site is missing 2005 and 2006 still? Yeah, there's a lot left to release. We're just taking a breather.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:53 pm 
Obduction Backer

Myst Movie update:
Rand completely blown away about the script Myst Movie

Thanks to UO forums

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:14 pm 
Obduction Backer

Exclusivity... nice.

Well, that hurdle's cleared. Now they have to go and work to show Rand his optimism was well-founded! :D

Let's face it, if Rand liked the movie script so much, now my eagerness to watch has been dramtically increased. :D :D

MOULa KI: #00027582 #7425022
100% Authentic Gondar! Accept no substitutes, imitations, or knock-offs!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:19 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Beware! Rand liked "Duck-nee" too. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:48 pm 

Ah, JW. Forever the skeptic. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:14 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Yeah, but I'll still be skepticizing my $$$ all the way to the box office at least once for you, Patrick. ;)

And we're all breathless with antici... pation over how you are going to deal with the Australia problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:21 pm 
Obduction Backer

...and a fairly recent post on UO forum from Mysteriac_P

Quote:
From Adrian:

Quote:
As to budget concerns, we are not aiming for a low-budget film here. This is not going to be fan quality. We are looking for something in the realm of $90-$100 mil. The next major battle will be trying to convince the studios to take an interest in two guys with small CVs.

Wingnut and Dreamworks are both on our list of companies to approach once we’ve built a solid package and have actors attached.

Just a copy and paste from the site to clear up some confusion. One of the reasons why we had the goal to get an exclusive option was so we'll be able to officially represent the property as we reach out to studios. There is a long road ahead, but having this in hand gives us some flexibility to start discussions without having to navigate daily with Rand & Cyan as his (their) availability is pretty limited. They're trying to feed their employees, after all.

Why the big budget? Because if we do pull this off and get a good studio backing, I fully intend on building a majority of the cavern as a practical set. No CG trickery here - the texture is all wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:22 am 

If they can't land their $90 million budget, they really should be open to scaling down their goals a bit. The Myst series is not in great shape right now and the studios may not be interested in investing so much money in a property with such a limited fanbase.

Keep in mind that "Pan's Labyrinth" was done for around $15 million (estimates vary), and it was most definitely NOT fanfilm-quality.

My advice to these guys is use your money wisely, and put it where it will be most visible. If the "CG look" bothers you, find creative ways around that.

The Myst game series visuals are almost 100% CGI, of course, so building stuff for real is a way of bringing it to life, making it feel more real than it ever has been in the games.

I like that, but play it smart.

If I were doing this project, and I wanted a great balance of quality and cost-effectiveness, here's how I might create the cavern:

Phase 1: Build sets. The critical ones, the ones that will be seen for significant amounts of time, would be built full-scale.
If they're indoors, build those indoors locations. If they're outdoors, build those areas full-scale but don't build *everything* - build the segments that will be seen most and be near the actors and the cameras. Some city sets would be iconic and memorable, and you should make those unique constructions, but if you can do some things modularly in a tasteful way, do so - that is, build a few "generic" building facades of houses and such, and then rearrange them, move them and reuse them as "set sections" or extension pieces, redressing and redecorating them a bit each time they're attached onto a different set.

The end result is a set design budget in the $15 million range, not $40 million+

Phase 2: Build entire cavern in miniature at a scale that will be large enough to pack in a lot of detail into each building, but small enough that the entire cavern, or at least, the entire city portion of the cavern, can be built. Maybe 1/8-1/10 scale?
Contract this project out to an effects company like New Deal Studios or Kerner Optical that can do a great job at this and make it look real even right up close. Have them put especially high attention to detail into areas near the bits of the city which you have built as full-scale sets.

Miniatures have the advantage of actually being physically real; they have a level of authenticity that is hard to match in 3d

Cost: Approximately $3-4 million, for the entire city in 1/8 scale miniature, that is, a miniature with several thousand buildings that would cost about a billion dollars if built full-scale.

Phase 3: Use the best current scanning technologies to scan the entire miniature from every angle, and turn it into a photoreal, hyper-detailed digital mesh, one with several billion polys. I know this can be done - I've seen the technology involved - and I recognize that such an approach can offer the best advantages of both the inherent physical detail and believability of miniatures, and the flexibility of digital. You may have to clean up the model in a few places, but the scanning will give you most everything you need.

Use the miniature for wide shots and shoot it motion control - but when you need ground-level shots, pull up the CG model and use 3d motion tracking to align it with, and blend it into, the shots recorded on set.

Use miniature wide shots, enhanced with CG and practical full-scale elements like extras and smoke, comped into it, as well as full-scale digital fluid simulation for the lake.

For all ground-level scenes, shoot on set. Extend sets where needed with digitally scanned miniature.

The objective of all this would be to so thoroughly and seamlessly mix real, miniature, and synthetic, so that the audience stops trying to figure out what is on screen and simply accepts it as real.

Total cost of creating the cavern would probably be (under this format) around $22 million, give or take - expensive but not immensely so.

You Mysteriacs should keep in mind the effects of casting on production costs as well.

My advice on the casting side is to hire really good actors who aren't "stars". Go for the best performance per dollar. If your script is excellent - and the indications we've seen suggest it is - then you may have leverage to pull in actors below their normal salaries. Actors sometimes do this for movies that they think will be high quality and successful - thus increasing their status when negotiating for future projects. They may also accept a percentage of box office as a substitute for up-front payment if they think the movie will make money. The more of your cast can be persuaded to defer salaries in this manner, the lower the up-front cost and the lower the risk of financial loss to the studio, which means your pitch is more viable and more likely to get funded.

My attitude has always been, make the best movie you can on the budget you have - that is, use your money effectively wherever it has the greatest impact - and make a really great movie while still keeping costs under control.

If your movie is fairly inexpensive to make AND high in quality, this maximizes the odds of it turning a profit. Turning a profit is essential from the studio's perspective. If your movie makes money, you will get to make more movies. If not, then you won't - unless, of course, you are Uwe Boll. :P

This is my philosophy anyway, I have my own particular tactics in producing media content which is, uh, not usually great, but really pretty impressive considering my almost nonexistent financial resources.

Check out the trailers on this splash page and see what I mean: http://www.hmediasplash.hornbostelfamily.com/

If the Mysteriacs get their $90 million in funding, I'll be thrilled, but if they don't, they should go through their production plans again and find out where they can compromise and cut costs in set design, casting, etc, with a minimum sacrifice of overall quality.

Then they can re-pitch their trimmed-down project to the studios. It worked for "The Fountain" - Darren Aronofsky couldn't get the $80 million in funding for his art-house project, so he decided to weed out the most expenise parts of it - replacing Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett with Hugh Jackman and Rachel Weisz, and reducing the Mayan fight sequence from hundreds or thousands of combatants to about 50 people. Then he re-pitched it as a $45 million movie and managed to get it funded. Again, the studios balked at James Cameron's photoreal CG feature "Avatar" - Even immediately after Titanic became a blockbuster hit, they balked at a $250 million price tag - but graphics technology advances dramatically each year, and Cameron managed to get the same project picked up and funded fairly recently when he demonstrated that the same movie could now be done for $140 million.

But anyway, we'll see what happens...

[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:06 pm 

@People: You have to understand that, for a project/movie that's been based out of the basement of two random guys that are practically invisible to Hollywood, they ARE moving forward much better than many of us could have guessed.

Checking the "prelude" to the animatic, when Adrian and Patrick are talking about their "current (at the time)" team of people, some of the ones onboard are pretty impressive in and of themselves.

I think that Adrian and Patrick wouldn't have set such high goals unless they had a plan for how to make it happen. They've been saying all along that things were going based off a plan, and I think that if we just sit back and watch it unfold, we'll continue to be surprised.

Though, I don't think we should completely rule out "Cautious Optimism" (sorry for the joke, had to throw it in) seeing as many of you do have a point. Realistically, anywhere more than 50 million dollars seems incredulous.

I for one am just going to wait and see. I won't speculate, cause that's just going to bite me after I let it loose, but I'll stand by and see what happens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:16 pm 

Bump

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 927 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62  Next