It is currently Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:08 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:45 pm 

I can't help but wonder about this odd game Cyan has released really no information about except in odd little bits and catches that really only pertain to the fact that it exists.

This new game concept that's just so "out there" that they can't seem to sell the idea. At times I just wonder if I've only imagined it.

I think I'm going to start a pointless quest to find every mention of this game they've hinted at. I just... can't help but wonder what the heck it could be.

[EDIT: Right, ...it was code-named the "Lattice Project" http://www.macworld.com/article/47868/2 ... iller.html]

~Joey Zobbdinks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:01 pm 

I'm very interested in this - time for something new in all of this angst!

"Let's pretend it's not," said Rabbit, "and let's see what happens."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:06 pm 
Obduction Backer

My fear is that the lattice-project has been shelved and that Cyan is now working on simply keeping everyone employed, and that means making, ugh, casual games. If that's what keeps them afloat, I support it. I'll even buy them. But I'd sure like to know what the lattice project was supposed to be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:20 pm 
Obduction Backer

Keep in mind that article from Macworld is dated Nov. 9, 2005.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:36 am 
Obduction Backer

The "Lattice Project" was only talked about briefly, and even then just hinted at. It was supposed to be a new type of game, different from the Myst Universe, that was so far out there that no production company would put up the funding.

As of Mysterium 2006, it's been shelved for the time being, along with "The Book Of Marrim", as far as we know it could be indefinately. (At Mysterium, when we were at Cyan World's HQ during the Q&A session, someone asked about both the BoM and Lattice.)

The only way they would be able to get that game going again would be to find funding for it, and sadly most if not all the production companies out there don't see a viable market to put up the money.

It's sad, because there was some pretty interesting stuff on Stephan Martiniere's website that was hinted to be about Lattice, but I think it was later debunked as being backstory concept art for Uru/Myst V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:38 pm 
Obduction Backer

Ahhh... the old "Something Else" question.

That's the fun of giving a vague name and even vaguer description.. no one has a clue what you mean. And moreso, if you shelve it, restart, and abort it to start a new project with same name, no one notices! Except you, and after a few cycles the different ideas blend and you're not even sure.

My guess is Lattice (I keep trying to type it LATTIS, heh) was aborted for Uru. And what they're starting now is not it, but is similar in many aspects. So likelihood: We know it's planned to be a causal game moreof.. and online. Other than that, dunno.. but we do know Cyan will be doing it, so that's good enough for me! :D

MOULa KI: #00027582 #7425022
100% Authentic Gondar! Accept no substitutes, imitations, or knock-offs!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:23 pm 
Obduction Backer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:02 pm 

I'm one of those online gamers who really enjoy casual games. I have a subscription to Big Fish and Real Arcade. I think it would be great for Cyan to try these little games to build up the company again. I'd love to see a Cyan made "escape the room" game. It would be fantastic coming from them, no doubt, and probably run rings around what's available now.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]