It is currently Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:35 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 9:01 am 

I bought Uru when it came out, but unfortunately I never got to try it before it died since I was on dialup at the time.

When it died...it really drove me nuts, because I could see this amazing community growing, and all this depth and intrigue and promises of new ages and whatnot.

Anyways, I played the singleplayer for a while, which was nice...and then Until Uru came along. I played that for a while (but it was a bit tough since I was still on dialup).
It was fun, but the shard populations were small and the people seemed a little...lethargic; they had all completed the singleplayer ages and now spent their time sitting around in the neighbourhood, kicking cones around.

To cut a long story short, in the end I kinda drifted away from Uru. As such, I've been completely out of the loop for a while now.

Could someone give me a summary of the way things are now? I got a survey from the Uru Live Team, regarding the D'mala shard...but I don't remember having ever had anything to do with this shard.
What's the deal? I thought, until now, the only official intervention had been vague sorta "charity" work.

Last edited by Brax on Sat May 20, 2006 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 10:19 am 
Obduction Backer

Uru Live was cancelled before it even got started.

Until Uru happened, and kept the community alive through fan servers.

Cyan opened D'mala, an OFFICIAL Until Uru server.

Less than two weeks ago, Cyan and GameTap announced that they were reviving Uru Live just in time for holiday season 2006.

Basically.. Uru Live is on it's way... so get ready to have so fun exploring new worlds and progressing the plot with your friends online. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 10:24 am 

With regards to this D'mala shard...is it still functioning? Is access to it still open?

I just tried to run Until Uru again...but the launcher just hung on an update search.
I downloaded the Until Uru patch from the website again, in case that was a newer version, or my version was a bit messed up (it's quite old)....but it did the same thing.

Is this a client glitch, or has all that stuff been shut down now until the beta testing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 10:43 am 
Obduction Backer

D'mala is still open to all new explorers... not sure why your client is hanging up though. I just tried running it, and everything is ok... so the update server isn't down or anything fun like that.

Best I can think of is make sure that you don't have any ports that UU might need blocked, or that they're forwarding to the right place. I hope you can get the situation taken care of though... and I hope to see you in D'ni soon. :)

Oh hey... if you'd like some insights on events regarding the restoration before and since D'mala, check the link in my sig. It's an in-cavern view of events since before Prologue leading up to now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 10:52 am 

What i know D'mala is up and running
You can check the firewall settings and grant access to uruexplorer.exe and a file named Branch37.exe(or was it Branch37build.exe )if you got that one.
And you might consider to do a new install of the uru and untiluru game files if the files you got on your computer are corupted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 11:26 am 

Gah! This is very annoying.

I checked to make sure my firewall was letting both UruSetup and that Build37 thing access the internet...but it still hangs on the update box and eventually says "Unable to download update file"

I even tried a fresh Uru + Until Uru install...still no luck. It's like the updater just isn't talking (the bandwidth monitor on the firewall shows no activity)...but I can't see why.

Is there any way to bypass this auto-update thing, or manually patch it?
I don't remember ever having had this problem before...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 11:47 am 

Yay! I searched around on the Uru Obsession forums and found a solution!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 1:56 pm 
Obduction Backer

Brax,

Please share the solution here so others may know how to resolve this problem.

Thanks,

Dadguy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 2:08 pm 

I've not been able to get in since the weekend. I keep getting auth timeouts. I got to my Relto one time during the week, but got an auth timeout when I tried to visit my hood.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 4:35 pm 

to Brax: have you updated your on-line access to Until UrU from dial-up to cable modem or dsl? I hope you live where you have access to better than a dial-up service, and can afford it.

The game works best using high-speed internet access - a dial-up speed of, let's say, 56k, is IMOP far too slow for you to be able to fully enjoy or take advantage of even the relatively limited features of this temporary version of the original UrU game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 7:27 pm 

Contrary to popular belief kicking cones around were not the only activities at the Until Uru Shards :D I'm not saying a lot of cone kicking didn't happen because it did.

But that was not all theres some new content prepared and ready to run all put on the back burner till Cyan let us know what is happening with the private shards. 8)

There’s a poll running to try and see if theres enough interest in opening them up (note you can support the proposal or just read the posts).

"Are the private shards being forgotten"

I would recommend you look through the posts as there’s been some confusion as to how the poll is being conducted and I do not want to be accused of misleading people.

I would say that there's fixes for a lot of the bugs experienced in D'mala already running on the UntilUru shards.

Most notably is in well over a year of running on various shards I can say I have never experienced the crash to desktop I encounter with sickening regularity on D'mala.

Maybe it is something to do with those cones? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 8:36 am 

'ello, sorry for the lack of responce since yesterday.

I actually managed to complete the "Purple Tree Land of Floaty Leaves" as I call it, with the help of a couple of people on D'mala!

Anyway, here's a link to the solution if your Urusetup is hanging on the update thingy:

http://www.cyanworlds.com/cgi-bin/ubb-c ... 8;t=000715

I downloaded the file, and now it works like a charm!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 12:39 pm 

Ummm...

I don't know if you know, so pardon me if I'm being redundant, but it's called Kadish Tolesa

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]