It is currently Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:39 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:35 am 

I purchased the casual game "Azada" over a month ago - because I was looking for anything that would fill the waiting time for you know what. Now I can't put it down!! I've gone through the entire game so many times I've lost count and I can't think of any reason why. Except - maybe - that it is the most relaxing mental exercise I've ever come across. There is enough variety in most of the puzzels that I haven't gotton bored - at least not yet.

Now I'm really curious - would there be any way to incorporate a game concept like "Azada" into URU to counter those folks who are "bored" because they can't find anything to do?

Kero - KI#33425
Tarma - KI#36702

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:49 am 
Obduction Backer

I haven't tried it, but it looks interesting. Think I'll give it a shot. Thanks Kero!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:10 pm 
Obduction Backer

I enjoyed Azada, although I got through it too quickly to say I was ever "hooked". :) I didn't feel any need to play it a second time.

Which elements of the game do you like? The formal puzzles, or the mini-adventure rooms, or the pacing of going back and forth between them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:00 pm 

@Buzzle1 - hope you enjoy it. Let me know how it turned out.

@Belford - I'm glad you enjoyed the game.

As for me, I like all of the elements actually. Going back and forth between them is fun. Of course once you've figured out the mini-adventure rooms that is it for them. Actually what keeps me going back are the formal puzzels. There is enough variation each time you play them that it keeps the game fresh. The ones I particularly like are Connect Three, Symbols, and Squares. I have yet to get down to two balls in Pawns within the time limit - but I keep trying. As for the mini-adventure rooms - since I know the solution - I try to see how fast I can get it done. There are a couple of rooms I still haven't got through in under a minute but I'm working on it. :wink:

Actually - I think the reason I keep going back to it is that I find it a way to unwind after work. It distracts my mind from other problems and since I already know how each puzzel works I really don't have to think about it that much. :lol:

Kero - KI#33425
Tarma - KI#36702

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:11 am 
Obduction Backer

The formal puzzles could easily be implemented in an Uru Age. It would take some effort, because you'd be making 3D models for each puzzle piece and then more for the surrounding environment. But there's no technical obstacle, and it would play out the same way in Uru as in Azada.

Someone on the GoW forums was talking a few months ago about implementing a Rubik's Cube. I don't think he got anywhere on it, but again, it's a perfectly feasible idea.

The room puzzles wouldn't work quite the same way, because Uru doesn't have a notion of an inventory. But you could have a workspace in the Age -- say a clear space on a table -- and move objects there when they're found.

(These are single-player puzzles, of course. That doesn't stop you from implementing them in Uru, but they'd probably be frustrating if two people tried to play with them at once.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:20 am 

I got Azada a while back too and played it through once, then Dell had to come out and replace my brand new hard drive so I got to play it through again and I really enjoyed it both times!

Have you tried Dream Chronicles 1 and 2? They are pretty good too, though there isn't a variety of game styles within the game like in Azada. They just have a nice Myst-like look to them.

While I love casual games and have an account at Real Arcade and Big Fish I still prefer the Myst/Uru style of game play above all. I like the idea of cause and effect in a game: "If you flip this switch this happens", etc. as opposed to just a straight out "toy" unrelated to the action.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:42 pm 

bpgisme wrote:
While I love casual games and have an account at Real Arcade and Big Fish I still prefer the Myst/Uru style of game play above all. I like the idea of cause and effect in a game: "If you flip this switch this happens", etc. as opposed to just a straight out "toy" unrelated to the action.

I hear you bpgisme. I feel the same way. The neat thing about the casual games like Azada is that when you have no desire to figure out which switch to flip you can open them and just play. Like I said above it is - for me at least - a way to unwind without having to think very hard.

You know - IMO - the causal game genera is growing by leaps and bonds. Maybe it would be something for Cyan to look into. I think they could really come out with something great if they put their minds to it. :wink:

Kero - KI#33425
Tarma - KI#36702

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:39 pm 

Sorry, first ime I read this, I thought somebody wanted ASDA in Uru. :lol:

What's Azada? :shock:

TG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:28 pm 

TomahnaGuy wrote:
Sorry, first ime I read this, I thought somebody wanted ASDA in Uru. :lol:

What's Azada? :shock:

TG

TG - Azada is what is known as a "casual" game. It is made up of a variety of Puzzels tied together by a simple story. Check out a review of it here. You can find it in stores that sell PC games or you can download it directly from the publisher - Big Fish at www.bigfishgames.com.

Check it out. :wink:

Kero - KI#33425
Tarma - KI#36702

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:06 am 

Kero wrote:
You know - IMO - the causal game genera is growing by leaps and bonds. Maybe it would be something for Cyan to look into. I think they could really come out with something great if they put their minds to it. :wink:

I actually emailed Cyan about that very suggestion back in April! I got a reply from Ryan Miller saying they would look into it. So, maybe someday... :wink:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]