It is currently Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:33 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 9:55 pm 

Hi, my name is Sosiqui, and I can't get past the darn Dream/ancestors puzzle in Serenia in Myst IV. *hides*

I've been trying on and off for over a year, not exaggerating at all. And I just can't get it. Read all the FAQs possible, poured hours and hours into it and I just... can't.... solve the darn thing!

I really really want to see what happens in the rest of the game, and I want to move on to Myst V too, but this stupid, stupid puzzle....! And this is really pathetic, I think, because I've been adventure gaming since the early days of Sierra. (Albeit at the age of four with my dad helping and a hint guide, but hey!) Never have I met a puzzle I couldn't beat until now...

So, in my shame ;) I wonder if I could get some help from somebody. If I e-mailed someone my save game file, could they... er... solve the puzzle for me, then save immediately afterward so I could get on with my gaming life and not feel the wild urge to strangle all the Ancestors? They are SO lucky they're already dead, that's all I'm saying.

I can tell some people have no problem with it, I don't know WHAT my disconnect is. Nobody else in the house cares enough about puzzles to do any good with it, either, so I seem up the creek without a paddle. (Stupid eyes.)

So.

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeelp. I'll... I don't know, make a winamp skin for you? Share a knockout banana nut bread recipe? What does one offer over the internet anyway? o_o

Sosiqui in Cavern

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 12:20 am 

I think the idea is to alternate between triangles and parallelograms in such a way as to make increasingly large areas white.

Don't be afraid to turn things away from white. If you have a section of just one blue (or something else) and all around it is white, you can change several around it until they are blue, then make them all white.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 12:44 am 

My solution to this was to start a circle pattern making sure to "connect the dots until they were approximately the same collor around the middle of the screen. From there I worked my way out in circles till the whole screen became one color or was white. Hope that helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 6:41 am 
Creative Kingdoms

Oh dear. Well, if you are still on the first puzzle, the second one is even harder. I feel your pain...

Yes, the first puzzle works well if you move in triangles, and then you'll get the hang of it and start making larger patterns. Choose clockwise or counterclockwise and stick with it. Make them all white. Get it? Three primary colors combined to make white? They reset when you go back and touch the same one without touching at least two others first. That's why triangles work.

If after another year you really can't stand it, this is a good site for cheating:
http://www.fisicx.com/revelation/walkthrough.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 9:23 am 

Hey Sosiqui.

If you're still having problems with it, send your savegame my way and I'll see what I can do (PM me for details). I've solved it for a lot of other players who have asked me in the past few months, so it won't be a problem for me to do it for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 9:14 pm 

Thanks, Coelho Buda, I'll do that - and I really appreciate it!

Tried it again last night and I just couldn't get it despite sitting there for two hours. *facepalm* Maybe it's genetic, like tasting cilantro - some people can get it perfectly and some people just flail helplessly.

Sosiqui in Cavern

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 1:53 pm 

Sosiqui wrote:
Hi, my name is Sosiqui, and I can't get past the darn Dream/ancestors puzzle in Serenia in Myst IV. *hides*

I've been trying on and off for over a year, not exaggerating at all. And I just can't get it. Read all the FAQs possible, poured hours and hours into it and I just... can't.... solve the darn thing!

I really really want to see what happens in the rest of the game, and I want to move on to Myst V too, but this stupid, stupid puzzle....! And this is really pathetic, I think, because I've been adventure gaming since the early days of Sierra. (Albeit at the age of four with my dad helping and a hint guide, but hey!) Never have I met a puzzle I couldn't beat until now...

So, in my shame ;) I wonder if I could get some help from somebody. If I e-mailed someone my save game file, could they... er... solve the puzzle for me, then save immediately afterward so I could get on with my gaming life and not feel the wild urge to strangle all the Ancestors? They are SO lucky they're already dead, that's all I'm saying.

I can tell some people have no problem with it, I don't know WHAT my disconnect is. Nobody else in the house cares enough about puzzles to do any good with it, either, so I seem up the creek without a paddle. (Stupid eyes.)

So.

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeelp. I'll... I don't know, make a winamp skin for you? Share a knockout banana nut bread recipe? What does one offer over the internet anyway? o_o

sosiqui
The frustrating thing is that if you turn a spot white and then mouseover it to another spot, the mouseover can cause it to change again. But just keep at it until all are white. Also the order that the colors cycle can be useful to work through that problem... :)

"Things are not what they used to be -- and they never were." Will Rogers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 7:57 pm 

I've gotten it taken care of now, thanks to Coelho Buda's generous assistance. Thanks all for your advice, though - I appreciate it. :)

Sosiqui in Cavern

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]