It is currently Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:21 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:15 am 

RIVEN was my first love. Did others feel some kind of urge to help or save Catherine? Also, was the threat of Gehn, AND the nutty sons, something that made the game compelling? I believe so...especially Catherine

Perhaps, I wonder, what urged me on through the game, was that I, as an avatar, must help save her?

This concept was long lost after RIVEN and all that was left right up to the evolution of URU was just passing through past worlds. Nobody to save, nobody as an adversary.

Could this have been the failure of our wonderful game?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:58 am 
Obduction Backer

Location: Hanging around with mermaids. And still looking for the elusive Funky Bahro.
Remember - originally, all they wanted to really do was Myst, Riven and (later) Uru. Exile and Revelation were licensed out to other companies. Cyan only agreed to do End of Ages to bring the whole thing to a close.

But sadly, the whole gaming industry changed. More and more people wanted shoot-'em-ups or even world-building games, such as The Sims series. Adventure games - like the Myst series - have been struggling ever since.

And as much as it pains me to say this, our modern culture has changed, too. We've gotten so "dumbed-down" that of course people don't like cerebral games that much anymore. It's more fun to just go out and kill kill kill!

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Magical Mystery TOOO 643784
Institution TOOO 816645
Karaoke TOOO 816776

~and featuring~

Murinna (the mermaid) 2484723
Mallina (the other mermaid) 3015052

Second Life: TOOO Fall

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:43 pm 
Obduction Backer

I never really thought about Catherine as I played... I was worried about Gehn, but not Catherine.

Then once I captured Gehn and did victory dance, I came across Catherine. And THEN I felt tense worry.. I kept feeling like it was a rush, that Gehn's soldiers were going to capture me any moment, and I rushed to the end. Keeping an eye out for her, but still.

Uru is a different thing. It's a game, but it's not a GAME. It's not a singleplayer experience, not even the single-player version (as that was just an offline version of the online game). The result is it's closer to an MMO in ways, but without the story because it relied on continued content which wasn't done offline.

Uru is a strange bird because of that. EOA however showed how to turn online-developed ages into an offline game. It wasn't quite the same, but it did a good job.

Myst and Riven however were developed ground-up as wholly singleplayer experiences. That meant it was easy to focus on you the player, setting up a one-shot storyline instead of something for everyone.

MOULa KI: #00027582 #7425022
100% Authentic Gondar! Accept no substitutes, imitations, or knock-offs!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:04 pm 

In Revelation, you had to save Yeesha. I think that was motivation to me. When trouble started happening in Tomahna, you weren't quite sure what happened to her. However, if you paid attention to the clues, you did get an impression that she was in danger. (First fireplace "memory")

Uru was a little bit different. However, when one completed it, there was almost a sort of "Fantasy Island" feel. After completing all the boxed versions, there was the feeling that you had reached a magical city where anything was possible, and Yeesha might be a tour guide to it all. For those that do get geeked about D'ni history, I think that Yeesha's stories about D'ni were compelling motivation to finish the journeys. It was a different motivation than the Myst Series, but it was interesting all the same.

In MOUL, it seemed that a lot of that was lacking. One solved the puzzles for the puzzle's sake. Playing Er'carna without the story didn't seem quite as nice. People seemed to talk more about the difficulty of the puzzles rather than any insight learned. At the very least, it would have been nice to have seen some new journals. It would have also been nice to read these journals, and skip ahead a few pages. At least, it would have been nice to be able to skip to the back, or start on the last page that you read.

Gathered Restorers Awaiting To Explore For URU Lives

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:43 pm 

Agreed, doug. In many places, we got content which shouldn't be there (eders),and when we did got new content, although fun, it wasn't good enough (many new journeys).

If anyone's interested (maybe you doug), I posted my suggestion (far future suggestions, maybe) for the TPOTS journey at MOUL, at the suggestions forum. What it could have been, how it could be fun for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:49 pm 

Springing Catherine and seeing her run, free, down the hallway was one of the best moments I've ever had in a game.

I always hoped for some resolution of the D'ni story in the rest of the games...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:07 pm 

though i must admit that the shoot 'em ups are fun, I was lucky. my dad introduced me to myst at a fairly young age. Therefore, i love the series. I was a lucky one. however, ive somewhat regretted it at times. i have a tendency to over-think things. also, im forced to see a game i love go into and out of a "comatose" (in a sense) state, while slowly deteriorating. i wish i didnt have to think that way. but it makes me think, what would happen if they made a shooting element to uru (besides shroomie-hunting)? would it sell more? i think, but i hope it never happens.

i wish we would stop dumbing us down. it seems to me like (in some areas of America) that we reached an intellectual peak, and are now going back down, while in some other areas we are ascending to a new peak (of what, i dont know). and i dont totally like it. worst thing about this whole "everything is a shooting game" era is that i constantly run into little kids (several as young as 6) playing games like GTA 4, even worse is that they were playing it online, with adults who are cursing and being a bad influence. what is happening to this world, and whats going to happen?

anyways, its time for me to get off the soapbox. peace.

Avvie name: Crazyraider - 00670418 (preferred) / Crazyraider312 - 01396856 / Crazyraider_DJ - 04976032

DJ of Raider Rave Radio (Fan Page)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:20 pm 

A reflection on the above post. In the lagoon of Riven. Do you remember the disturbing feeling when understanding the implication of the kids toy to learn numbers.
Seeing kids beeing taught disrespect, war, death penalty and human sacrifice through vivid toys is disturbing. Yet they are showered in it and we shrug thinking "it is propably not good". In reality we know that it is really bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:33 pm 

I am embarrassed to say I was so busy figuring out the numbering system that I failed to even contemplate that particular symbolism except that it was creepy! RIVEN was laden with layers of very clever puzzles, marvelous visuals (I still believe the best) and a wonderful story line.

Speaking of the lagoon, I remember drawing the pathways after being frustrated by getting lost over and over.

To this day, I say outloud, "RIVEN!" every time I hear certain sound effects or see strange architecture.

For anyone that watched the TV series, "LOST," the last few minutes in final episode of last season was so RIVEN-y. No RIVEN fan would miss the similiarity of scenery and mechinisms. (I really liked the series LOST and can be watched entirely on-line on the ABC website.)

In the meantime, I continue to pine for another game as entertaining and frustrating as RIVEN and, of course, our on-line URU.

JeannieJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:18 pm 

JeannieJ wrote:
In the meantime, I continue to pine for another game as entertaining and frustrating as RIVEN and, of course, our on-line URU.

Riven was truly exceptional. We never got around to finish V, I think it is the ghost of Riven causing it. We're spoilt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:46 pm 

Riven was my first Myst game and it will always have a special place in my memory, but I often wonder if fan over-nostalgia for Riven was harmful to the series. End of Ages was fantastic and it had so little attention.

The problems with Uru were:

Technical;
Lack of tasks keeping people busy everyday;
Most of new the story was coming to life through dialogue.

It was nothing to do with anything else. Both story and puzzles were amazing. Nothing compares.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]