It is currently Mon May 20, 2019 6:34 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 7:39 pm 

Mmm, it does need a bit more to be considered "open". Registered anyway. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 10:11 pm 

So what's actually there? Is it only useful for developers of ages to test stuff, or is it a more publically usable Uru client/server thingy that we players can log into to see some of these famous, but obscure, fan ages in progress (and maybe even give feedback to the age creators)?

I'm just really confused, cause by the announcement from JWPlatt, it sounds like a public test shard, and a step forward of some kind. And possibly even something I could install and play to test and give feedback to age developers, as a player(who are, you know, their intended final audience).

But I don't know without signing up for yet another board if "public" means us end users of URU or if, like the source code itself, the server is only useful to those who know what they are doing.

Even just a bit of a non-technical discription on the Openuru.org page for what the terms used to describe a server mean on a non-technical level would be a big step in the right direction, I feel. For instance, what does "Testing of Fan Ages" mean? I know it has something to do with Fan Ages, and presumibly playing them on a server. But I don't know if that means you want the public testing them, or if they only work locally for the age designer, or if there even is any Fan Ages on the server yet.

Quote:
I do not see the Shards & forums being an open free for all with the 'blackhats' running a muck. It is expected folks will protect their Forums & Shards & servers. If you want to play or test bad enough you will jump through the same hoops the rest of us do. It is expected some shards will not be suitable for the casual player. I can not speak for Merc or his forum & Shard & server. Join his forum an talk with Merc your self like the rest of us have done and you will know what is and what is not.

(This isn't aimed directly at you semplerfi, but more at the way people have been about discussing/linking things that require signing up somewhere else in general. So please don't take it personally, despite the quote.)

If this announcement was aimed at the technically minded(those who "jump through hoops", I guess), it should have been posted to the technical forum, not the general forum. Since it's here, I feel it should be in the rights of the non-technical users of this forum to ask what on earth it is, without having to sign up for a forum that may be aimed at just the technically minded to find out.

What the above quote proposes is akin to saying "To find out anything about the Guild of Writers, go make an account on the forums, even if all you want to know is who the Guild of Writers are." Such a setup is downright redundant and would result in a lot of accounts on GoW that arn't active at all. It's especally rude when in this case, all I asked for was a summary of what this even was so I could make an informed decision if I was even the right type of person they were looking for.

Perhaps, if the forum software allowed it, the owner of Atlantis could make a publically viewable part of the board titled "Summary of Atlantis", with a topic explaining what it is so that we could actually be informed before making an account there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 10:52 pm 
Obduction Backer

@darkgriffin - This is some of the first stuff available. I am sure there will more to come that will be more forth coming and to your liking.

Also, please keep in mind that some folks have a real life with work & family to contend with, so some stuff will be slow in coming out.

Oh! and no offence taken in the slightest. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:27 pm 
Obduction Backer

I'm pretty sure that JWPlatt posted the link to the Lost City of Atlantis without consulting MercAngel just to get a bit of glory. The shard, as far as I know, was mostly setup for a group of friends. And before you say, yes, I would know as I actually know MercAngel, unlike JWPlatt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 1:25 am 
Obduction Backer

Atlantis Shard

ok 1st sry about the forums there should have been a topic that could be read by all i see now it was not it told why the forums where locked down so much.

yes it is open to the public for testing and yes the post here was a bit of a jump JWPlatt did ask and i was about to post a reply to wait about 1 week when i call to go back to work.

My plan was to only to let ppl i know that is was there to make sure it could be log on to and not crash at this stage the accounts where created by hand by having them tell me there log on info. my next step was to post open uru that the shard was there and open to the public for testing this was to get some of the technically minded over first to work out any account and log on errors that may come up and one did. then after that post here.

that was my plan as i did not want to get blasted with a lot of PM's or post about account or log on errors.

i have now made the shard info forum and bug forum on the read only to all non register users.
however if you want to test something of your own or report bugs you will have to register an account of the forums the MOULa forums are not the place to do this

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 4:00 am 

Thanks so much for the explanation, MercAngel!

I'll hold off from signing up till you make your own announcement that you are ready for players(not writers, but players willing to playtest some ages). It certainly sounds like you were not expecting this much publicity so soon. After the wait for URULagain, this wait will be easy. :)

And a big Good Luck to all of you OS pioneers! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 5:58 pm 
Obduction Backer

It is all ok timeing was a little off but it is out of the bag now

when i get home from work tonight i will open the forums up to register users with no posting and unhide the members group so users can join it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 6:21 pm 
Obduction Backer

I think it's pretty darn cool that things are happening. If things are happening in more than one place instead of on just one site, one place -- that's great! I didn't expect everyone to all go one way, in lockstep.

So, the OpenUru site, GoW site, development going on in various places -- to me, all good. My hope, for those of us who aren't doing Uru development -- for all of you doing work, stick an announcement on these forums, from time to time. That way I can keep up.

This is good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 7:01 pm 
Obduction Backer

mszv wrote:
for all of you doing work, stick an announcement on these forums, from time to time. That way I can keep up.

Sure, if there is something important to announce we will do this! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 7:31 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
After the wait for URULagain, this wait will be easy. :)

[off topic & humors]

To pass a few more seconds of the time... :idea:

Center Merc's siggy on your screen and hit key "F5" or "Refresh"... :lol:

[/ot]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:39 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Please see the latest effort from the Guild of Messengers - a special open source issue.

lunanne's announcement here:
http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=24834

The GoMe page:
http://www.guildofmessengers.com/en/con ... ce-special

Links to the full interviews can be found within the issue at the end of each article.

OpenUru.org will post a copy of its interview for convenience sometime soon. First, please support the Guild of Messengers by downloading and enjoying their work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:42 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

For those to which this might be news, Christian Walther has resolved a GoW fork incompatibility with CWE, and OpenUru.org is reorganizing its repository structure to provide better and easier access and visibility according to recommendations from the GoW and others. I happen to like this better too.

The thread announcing our efforts is here:
http://forums.openuru.org/viewtopic.php?f=91&t=599 (Onward: OpenUru Repository Reorganization)

Some of these changes were facilitated through positive community work like that in this thread:
http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=24847 (Marten's "Bridging the gap between OU and GoW")

Hats off to everyone involved.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:10 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Greetings,

As many of you may be aware by now, Andy Legate's work for a "Mars Colony Simulation Pilot Used in NASA-based STEM program," using Cyan World's engine, is now public. According to Andy, Mars Colony has had several community members working on it: Andy himself, Ametist, Corvus and Dustin, with Metabasalt as the project lead. Ametist and Corvus helped with models, especially in the early stages. Dustin provided help with Python and a Shard. Chogon calls Andy the "Lead Technical Artist" (the guy that built the rest of it, textured it, lit it up and wired it up in 3ds Max).

You can find the press release here:

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2011/7/prweb8667725.htm

But this really has nothing to do with OpenUru.org. I'm writing about it for a couple of reasons: because these sorts of community collaborations help Cyan and deserve heaps of credit, and to introduce the the following:

MOUL Avatar Assets Released

Andy has been working closely with Cyan in the making of the Mars Colony achievement. More specifically, as part of the project, Andy needed to create avatar space suits, being on Mars and all. Now he believes that our community could benefit from something Cyan shared with him for the project.

So Andy requested, and has obtained, permission from Cyan Worlds to distribute the Avatar Global Clothing 3ds Max files and texture assets. He writes, "They contain ALL the clothing meshes used in MOUL for the avatars, bone structure, and avatar smoothing. This also includes the texture assets for the clothing too!" And, "I'd like to share the files with the community." OpenUru.org is happy to facilitate this release for Andy and Cyan.

Applause to Andy Legate and the Mars Colony team for their meaningful and educational creative work and Andy's efforts to bring this latest release of assets from Cyan Worlds to the community! Big round of appreciation, too, to Cyan Worlds for their generosity.

You can download the files here:

http://wiki.openuru.org/index.php?title ... _And_Tools

Please note that only Cyan textures will be available. I am sorting through over one thousand texture files because non Cyan-logoed textures cannot be released. The 3ds Max files are available immediately. The texture assets will be available soon.

Also, Andy has been co-locating his 3ds Max tutorials on the OpenUru.org wiki as well as on GoMa, GoW, and Dustin's UamWiki. You can find that work in progress here:

http://wiki.openuru.org/index.php?title ... _Tutorials

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:55 pm 
Obduction Backer

Wow, that's awesome JW! So if we wanted to make new clothing for our avies we can? (I.e. Mysterium shirts for our avies)

TOC#60089 DI#132103 MOULa is Image

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next