It is currently Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:18 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 296 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:10 am 
Creative Kingdoms

We wanted folks to be able to get in as quickly as possible after a purchase - not wait for the demo load and then wait again at each step. That's part of the reason we also asked Cyan to produce a CD installer for purchase at our locations. A CD install of the entire game was much faster, mostly because of the large amount of video content.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:38 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Karkadann wrote:
Just out of curiosity why do you hafta download the whole thing if all your signing up for is a free trial, ...
MQO only had three Realms (equivalent of "Ages"), the Portal Well, the Clan Courtyard and the Twisted Woods. Even for the free trial you needed to use the Portal Well (kind of like a Nexus) and the Clan Courtyard. Taking out the PRPs, etc., that are only needed for the Twisted Woods only saves about 40MB of the 1.4GB that the full game occupies on your hard disk. The big "space eater" is the videos which amount to just over 1GB in total, and you could possibly save 800MB of that by not downloading the Twisted Woods videos straight off.

But what rather kills the idea is that the patcher, just like in MOULa, runs before you login so at that point it doesn't know whether you've got a paid account or not; it just brings your installation up-to-date. I guess the game could load the additional content "on demand" but I suspect that the kids that this was mainly aimed might have got a bit peeved if they wait while the trial download, wait 'til a parent is convinced to buy it and then find they've got a wait again while a big update downloads. As it is, once you have the game installed, as soon as your account becomes a paid one you're instantly able to access the full content.

Most players probably bought the game on disk at one of the live venues anyway (it seems that way from the questions that came up on the forums anyway), so the size of the download wasn't one that seemed to trouble many people.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:54 pm 
Obduction Backer

A belated Happy Birthday and a Happy New Year to you, Mac!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:13 am 

I tried to revisit a bookmarked link I had which pointed to the forum for MQOnline, but it goes nowhere now. In fact, all of the forums there are gone, even the ones for the resorts and wands and other real-world player discussions. The "contact support" link in the menu also goes to a static info page, without further links. Their Twitter account last tweeted in September. This does not bode well for the rest of the MagiQuest business. While that portion has nothing to do with Cyan, it saddens me to see such family entertainment dying off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:38 am 
Creative Kingdoms

We have our static website up while the MyMQ/Support/Forum triad gets some needed attention.

We are beginning to move forward as the economy does the same. There is new MagiQuest content in the pipeline. We're also adding ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) support. Some of the new development work is sharing my desktop with this forum post right now and things are busy. ;)

We completed a game in mid-January called "PearlMasters," installed at the new Yas Island Waterworld park in Abu Dhabi. It uses the same game engine for which I do development at MagiQuest. Check out the attraction here (scroll down, click on PearlMasters - there's a video at the bottom):

http://www.yaswaterworld.com/en

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:20 pm 
Obduction Backer

Very impressive and extraordinary ... This business looks very much independent of the
general economy ... I'm crossing my fingers, however, for an immense success and the
consequential proceeds and income and above all many blessings and lots lots of fun ... :P

I wonder if you will be going to Abu Dhabi to check and inspect everything on the spot ... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:29 pm 
Obduction Backer

Nice spot!
But I am having some strange visions about me and my belly getting stuck in that water pipe. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:13 pm 
Obduction Backer

JWPlatt wrote:
We have our static website up while the MyMQ/Support/Forum triad gets some needed attention.

We are beginning to move forward as the economy does the same. There is new MagiQuest content in the pipeline. We're also adding ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) support. Some of the new development work is sharing my desktop with this forum post right now and things are busy. ;)

Will the previous beta testers be getting notices?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:11 pm 

Rik wrote:
Will the previous beta testers be getting notices?
You need to realize that JW is talking about content for the "live action" MagiQuest venues, not MagiQuest Online which is now gone.

In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:35 pm 

rats
is cyan doing the new content?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:47 pm 

I don't believe Cyan ever had any involvement with content for the "live" MagiQuest previously, so I'd doubt it.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 296 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20