It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:08 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:37 pm 

...I occasionally play this game. I wouldn't mind meeting any fellow Uru people on there.

~Foogerty Saint-Zoonsborne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:18 am 
Obduction Backer

I'm waiting for MORE, MOOSE, URU whatever...I dislike SL and that other stupid one...I'm sorry...

Signed,

Disgruntled MOUL Enthusiast

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:32 am 

Charura wrote:
I'm waiting for MORE, MOOSE, URU whatever...I dislike SL and that other stupid one...I'm sorry...

Signed,

Disgruntled MOUL Enthusiast

:shock:

...but Perfect World has monsters.... ...and now it has fish people! Don't you want to be a fish person?

Perfect World really isn't anything like Second Life or "that other stupid one" (although I have to admit a game called "that other stupid one" would pique my interest). It's more or less a "World of Warcraft" thing. ...except free (unless you want to buy a lobster to ride on).

Heck, and I'd be playing Uru if I could. The thing is I can't right now... So geesh. I mean, I guess I could sit around waiting. ...or... like, doing something productive.

~Futtertown Kernassiss and the Champions of Charnoffle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:33 pm 

I've never heard of this one, Mr. Zoonishi. Can you tell me a bit more about how it is to play? I was curious about Free Realms because so many Uru people played that, but the operators kept making changes that made it obnoxious to play. Is Perfect World fun? More than a place to wait for Uru?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:18 pm 

Graphics look enticing for a free MMORPG, but I have to say, the whole scantily-clad-elf-women-with-oversized-weapons-battling-trolls-in-a-mushroom-forest theme is getting tiresome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:30 pm 

Lord Chaos wrote:
I've never heard of this one, Mr. Zoonishi. Can you tell me a bit more about how it is to play? I was curious about Free Realms because so many Uru people played that, but the operators kept making changes that made it obnoxious to play. Is Perfect World fun? More than a place to wait for Uru?

The operators (they're called GMs in perfect world) seem consistent to me. I've never seen the rules change or anything like that.

I s'pose you can browse the site: http://pwi.perfectworld.com/

I dunno what to say, Mr. Chaos. I've never really played another RPG online game thing like this, so I don't know how to draw comparisons.

All I can say is that I'm usually skittish about free, online things, and I think what actually made me try this is that it's actually very professionally done and managed. They also seem to be making good money from this. The game is free to play, but they have this optional shop where you can buy in-game "gold" to buy special items. You never have to buy anything to participate, though. I've never spent any real money on the game. I almost wonder at times if Uru could get away with a model like this.

What I like about it is that there's a big world, and except for the dungeons, traveling in it is huge and seamless. I'm to understand that Perfect World had the first mulitplayer online RPG engine with combined land, sea, and air together. That is neat. Once you get past level 30, you can just take off and fly here and there, etc. There are parts where you just go into the water and have underwater battles and things.

There are good community tools and I've met some interesting people there. I like how the gameplay is set up in ways that encourage really high level players to help lower-level players in the sort of "milestone" dungeon quests. You're also encouraged to help other people in your faction (what other games seem to call a "guild") get the materials to build new weapons, etc.

What gets a little annoying is that other players (after you reach level 30) can kill you in the game. Yet, that's also kind of interesting in that the more people a person kills the more red their name gets. It's sort of a karma thing. Some people want to be mean person/people and kill people, and others want to teach these mean person/people a lesson, or defend other people in their faction.

I also don't like the whole concept of leveling up and all that, but, it's just part of what drives these games. I know Rand Miller himself commented on that kind of gameplay mechanic (although, Rand admittedly played World of Warcraft, I think). I'm not nuts about leveling up, I just sorta play the game to kill time, sorta like... minesweeper or something.

Calam wrote:
Graphics look enticing for a free MMORPG, but I have to say, the whole scantily-clad-elf-women-with-oversized-weapons-battling-trolls-in-a-mushroom-forest theme is getting tiresome.

I agree, it's absurdly derivative. I suppose I don't really play it because it's incredibly original, though, I suppose what's interesting graphically about it is this game is actually either Chinese or Malaysian in origin (before it went international) and a lot of what you see in the design is very Oriental-looking moreso than traditionally Western.

There is character to it, and I like it.

That and you can be a tiger, wolf, or panda person if you want. Most of the free online things I've seen just let you be some boring elf or person.

I dunno, all I can say is that I've been playing it, and it's been a fun experience. Yes, I'd rather play Uru, but I can't right now. Perfect World has been a fun thing to do here and there, though.

It's a lot of fun for being free, I s'pose. I'm almost surprised it is free sometimes. A lot of people really must dump money into it...

~Joey Froomfritters