It is currently Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:30 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:21 pm 
Obduction Backer

Christian Walther wrote:
Tried it, but didn’t get very far:
Code:
buia:~/Desktop/Incoming/whom-1.0-beta08 cwalther$ mono WhoM.exe
Unhandled Exception: System.NotImplementedException: The requested feature is not implemented.
  at System.Windows.Forms.XplatUICarbon.SystrayAdd (IntPtr hwnd, System.String tip, System.Drawing.Icon icon, System.Windows.Forms.ToolTip& tt) [0x00000]
  at System.Windows.Forms.XplatUI.SystrayAdd (IntPtr handle, System.String tip, System.Drawing.Icon icon, System.Windows.Forms.ToolTip& tt) [0x00000]
  at System.Windows.Forms.NotifyIcon.ShowSystray () [0x00000]
  at System.Windows.Forms.NotifyIcon.set_Visible (Boolean value) [0x00000]
  at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.Windows.Forms.NotifyIcon:set_Visible (bool)
  at MUd.MainForm.InitializeComponent () [0x00000]
  at MUd.MainForm..ctor () [0x00000]
  at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) MUd.MainForm:.ctor ()
  at MUd.MainForm.Main () [0x00000]

Does it use other stuff that isn’t implemented in Mono, or would it work if that tray icon was made optional?

(Or is my Mono just out of date? I don’t even remember when and for what I installed it.)

Your Mono might be way out of date. The last time I looked, it supposedly supported all of System.Windows.Forms from.NET 2.0 (I don't use WPF--it sucks). A quick Google search reveals that NotifyIcons went kaboom for a little while back in 2006, Of course, they may still kaboom for all I know.

I'm glad you're testing on Mono though. Do note that OpenSSL.dll P/I invokes libeay32.dll. I am unsure how P/I invoke works on Mono and linux :(

vidkid7 wrote:
I think this is useful and pretty cool, but I also think is might end up defeating itself in a way...

If we're all checking the WhoM list to see if our friends are online... who's ever going to actually BE online?

My buddy list and neighbors list is always empty, so I just go on anyway. This made testing somewhat annoying (I had to login with a separate account).

JWPlatt wrote:
Obviously we'll need a WhoMWm utility to see who is checking to see who is online.

Adam {Hoikas} is online and exploring in the Who's Online age

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:12 am 

Christian, I got the same message when I tried to run it with the latest version of Mono OS X.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:14 pm 

I tried running the .net 3.5 installer using the repair option and it worked. This is a handy tool! But the very next time I ran it I got the same error :( .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:04 pm 
Obduction Backer

RedSoxFan wrote:
I tried running the .net 3.5 installer using the repair option and it worked. This is a handy tool! But the very next time I ran it I got the same error :( .

Directed to anyone experiencing an error:

Pleas try this build and email the resulting log files (found in the log\April 2010 folder) to AdamJohnso at gma!l [d0t] c0m (remove the l33t and fix the addy). The only new thing in this version is some elementary logging that slows down performance. If the normal version is working for you, don't use this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:36 pm 
Obduction Backer

Pretty slick little gadget. No problems so far. /thumbsup

MOULagain KI#27460 - Second Life: Vax Sirnah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:04 pm 

I think a 'WhoBot' that people could register with would be cooler. Add a web page to upload to and a browser plug-in. I guess one issue might be the effect of one explorer having 20,000+ buddies? Would be nice if Cyan would implement this server-side.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:22 pm 
Obduction Backer

Teedyo wrote:
I think a 'WhoBot' that people could register with would be cooler. Add a web page to upload to and a browser plug-in. I guess one issue might be the effect of one explorer having 20,000+ buddies? Would be nice if Cyan would implement this server-side.

I'm considering ways to harvest the *entire* list of online players. However, there is no "easy" way to do it, and I'm concerned about placing too much load on the servers. Of course, a WhoBot could be an interesting way to do it without invading users' privacy. Of course, WhoBot does not have to add 2,000 players to his buddy list; he could store that data outside of the game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:21 am 

Yes, but keeping a list elsewhere would mean that it would have to perform regular queries to keep it up to date. That could lead to what may be considered unfair use of/load on server resources. If buddy lists are maintained in an any way sane manner; the only time a 'bot should cause unfair load on the server is at login population. Maintenance of the list should be handled by the server distributing login/logout information.

Clearly; the best solution would be for Cyan to mirror the on-line list/table to a web page. This would cause the least load and have the most accurate/timely results. I also think that this would be a great use of the interns' abilities/time.

Regardless of the method; I think that individuals should have the ability to opt-out if they desire. Perhaps through the use of the ignore list? If X ignores Y, Y shouldn't be able to see if X is on-line. Opting-out could be a function on the web page if such a resource were to be used.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:39 am 
Obduction Backer

There is a place to select a shard. :wink:

YAY! Shard hoppin' . . . 8)

I think this might go way beyond what Cyan might do or not do on their server. The basic inter face will see any shard that comes forward. Select shard to see your basic lists of ‘Who’s On’ on what shard. Kinda like the old UU days. 8)

Thanking you AJ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:00 pm 
Obduction Backer

This is a nice tool. Thank you for creating it. I have some remarks on its functionality and I also encountered two errors. This refers to WhoM 1.0 Beta 08, and I am running it on a Windows XP machine (32 Bit, Service Pack 3).

It would be nice if we were able to sort the "Online" column in order to have all the players who are online at the top of the list. One can achieve a similar result by sorting the "Current Age" column but this is not intuitive and forces the Ages to be listed in reverse alphabetical order.

When I select Disconnect and then Connect from the File menu, then the player tree is not downloaded automatically. I must select another avatar first before a player tree is loaded.

I have "Remember Me" but not "Connect on start" checked in the "Connect to a Shard" window. When I click on the Login button, then I get the following error message, if I do this during the short period of time while the fields "Shard Name" and "Shard Hostname" haven't yet been populated:
[spoiler]
Code:
Unhandled Exception
Program: MUd.WhoM
Version 1.0.0.37790

Exception Type: System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException
Exception Message: InvalidArgument=Value mit dem Wert -1 ist für index ungültig.
Parametername: index
Exception Source: System.Windows.Forms

InnerException Type: (null)
InnerException Message: (null)

Stack Trace
   bei System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.ObjectCollection.get_Item(Int32 index)
   bei MUd.ConnectForm.get_OurShard()
   bei MUd.ConnectForm.IBeginLoginProcess(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
[/spoiler]
Furthermore, when I have "Connect on Start" checked and want to uncheck this option again, then I only get a very short period of time to actually do this in the "Connect to a Shard" window before WhoM does an automatic login. I think that it would be better to have WhoM only do a login automatically on an actual startup but not when the "Connect" option is selected from the "File" menu.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:14 pm 
Obduction Backer

Marck,

Most of the things you've said are things that I am already aware of, but it's good to have someone poke me about them; otherwise, they'll never get done ;). I have fixed a variant of the player tree download in my working copy, I will check to see if your issue still exists. You can expect fixes for the auto connect on start and login crash in the next release :)

Sorting by online status will be a little more time consuming to implement, but it will be done before the final release. It's an annoyance of mine too :)

Thanks for the input; I will most definitely come back to your post.

Teedyo wrote:
Yes, but keeping a list elsewhere would mean that it would have to perform regular queries to keep it up to date.

D'oh. I forgot about this part. I would agree with you until you speak about the interns--I doubt Cyan will ever trust them enough to work directly with the database or server code. They have proven this over the last weeks.

Sorry about the shortness of this post. My brain was thoroughly exploded today, and there has been little sleep.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:44 pm 

Excellent work! It's working great on my end. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:04 pm 
Obduction Backer

AdamJohnso wrote:
I'm glad you're testing on Mono though. Do note that OpenSSL.dll P/I invokes libeay32.dll. I am unsure how P/I invoke works on Mono and linux :(

Good point. It turns out that Mono supports P/Invoke, but only for the native libraries of the current platform – no loading of Windows DLLs on Mac OS. Which makes sense, given that supporting that would basically require integration of the entirety of WINE.

While building a Mac version of libeay32 with the correct entry points could probably take care of that, I’m giving up on this for the moment. Figuring out if I can write such a utility myself is more interesting than using a pre-built one anyway :).

One more bug that you’re probably aware of (running on Windows XP, not Mono or WINE): When you resize the window, the “add buddy” field stays at the same position, overlapping the list or hiding outside of the window.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:37 pm 
Obduction Backer

Christian Walther wrote:
One more bug that you’re probably aware of (running on Windows XP, not Mono or WINE): When you resize the window, the “add buddy” field stays at the same position, overlapping the list or hiding outside of the window.

Oops! That's a new one. Sometimes little UI bugs like that escape my notice because I size the controls the way I like them and leave them at the default during testing. I guess I need to fire Quality Control Kitty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:57 am 
Obduction Backer

WhoM 1.0 Beta 09

This should hopefully be the last beta release. The only major thing left to do is sort by online status. This release includes a fix for the random crashes that many of you were suffering from and is generally a huge stride forward from Beta 08. Enjoy!

Code:
Changelog
    - Add debug logging (limited output by default)
    - Select the first avatar when the last known avatar is not present
    - Gave the "Add Buddy" control some meds for his shyness--he won't vanish now
    - Removed malfunctioning Microsoft component
    - Don't crash when the message buffers have an offset that is not zero
    - Don't let the user connect before the shard list is downloaded
    - Don't auto connect if the user opens the connect window
    - Don't freeze UI when downloading nodes from the vault
    - Show pretty age names
    - Show which Bevin/Neighborhood players are in
    - Tweak the grid view to look better
    - Add DRC Forum to links

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next