It is currently Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:28 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Do you believe giving the D'ni the art was a good thing?
Yes. 61%  61%  [ 11 ]
No. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I'm an indecisive guy who want's a third option. 39%  39%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 18
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:32 pm 

Solstice wrote:
The question of whether the D'ni deserved to be able to us...

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:57 am 

IC answer to an IC question:

No species deserves the Art. No species deserves computers, or cars, or fire or the wheel, or this planet with all its riches. All these things get abused on a regular basis.

Yahvo (if you believe in things like that: if not, read "the universe") isn't about giving people what they deserve. If you work hard all your life, you will not necessarily be rewarded, and if you lie and cheat and murder you will not necessarily be punished (though society will have a darn good try in the latter case). Individuals can be good and deserving, or bad and undeserving, and the universe in general will pay no attention whatsoever. The fact is that the insights that led to the Art came to the Ronay, and they did with it what they did. Then the D'ni broke away and did what they did, and now, if we believe it, it will come to us.

One thing is certain; we as a species are in no position to judge them. We can try, as individuals, to deserve the Art ourselves, but if we fail the universe will not take it away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:58 pm 

Now i may be completely confused here, as I didn't study the Dn'i enough to have earned an honorary masters, but the Art is what set them up for ruin all along. Though it and the idea that they were creating worlds and creating life is what rose them up on their high horse until it was too tall to stand, right? The art is what made them egotistical, corrupt punks. Or are we talking about something completely different? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:54 am 

YutzWagon wrote:
Now i may be completely confused here, as I didn't study the Dn'i enough to have earned an honorary masters, but the Art is what set them up for ruin all along. Though it and the idea that they were creating worlds and creating life is what rose them up on their high horse until it was too tall to stand, right? The art is what made them egotistical, corrupt punks. Or are we talking about something completely different? :?

that is, kind of how i see it.
however, the art does not create worlds, it just creates links to existing ones. some of the d'ni did believe they created the worlds they write however.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:39 am 

YutzWagon; I don't agree. They had a choice on how to deal with the Art. It didn't make them corrupt. That worn-out old phrase about power corrupting ignores free will, which has always irritated me. It implies that the only way to stay pure is to sit with folded hands not doing anything, because the moment you exercise even the tiniest bit of power you're compromised. It's our choices that make us corrupt, not our abilities.

Slump Virus: as far as some of us are concerned, the jury's still out on that one. However, YutzWagon is correct in that the idea that they were creating worlds was never effectively eradicated by the promulgation of the orthodoxy that the books only link. It simply went underground, into the subconscious, and shaped the D'ni's choices when dealing with their Ages, as can be readily seen from the histories. They paid lip service to orthodoxy while still behaving as gods/owners. And while that did not cause the Fall, it certainly blotted their karmic copybook, if you believe in such things.

The problem was not creationism (if I can borrow a word from our world and give it a slightly different meaning) but colonialism. The same fault we British had when we were trying to run an empire. We didn't think we had created the countries we appropriated, but we certainly believed that God (who was of course English) had given them to us to run for the poor natives who didn't know any better. That's exactly the attitude of the D'ni that we read about in the histories.

But we always had a choice. It's just a shame we didn't exercise it sooner.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2