It is currently Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:46 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:58 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Hanging around with mermaids. And still looking for the elusive Funky Bahro.
There are two ways to look at it:

We can be negative and assume Cyan Legal got after Adrian to remove his post.

Or, we can be positive and assume that Cyan and Adrian are talking again, but the removal of his post was a pre-condition.

I think of myself as a Disappointed Optimist.

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Magical Mystery TOOO 643784
Institution TOOO 816645
Karaoke TOOO 816776

~and featuring~

Murinna (the mermaid) 2484723
Mallina (the other mermaid) 3015052

Second Life: TOOO Fall

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:02 pm 
Obduction Backer

Heh, when the heat got turned up, folks were more ready to play ball. I hope this at least results in something halfway decent for Adrain and Patrick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:38 pm 
Obduction Backer

Tai'lahr wrote:
Let's be optimistic and see this as a potential sign that they will work things out - and in a bright, shiny world, to our satisfaction, not just theirs. :wink:

Perhaps they will agree to shift the focus from BoT to BoA so that Myst Island and Riven will be included in the story. Ideally, they would have Adrian & Patrick serve as Executive Producers to ensure that canon is preserved. And, then, maybe Adrian and Patrick can produce BoT later as a prequel. That's my ideal scenario. :)

AdamJohnso wrote:
Heh, when the heat got turned up, folks were more ready to play ball. I hope this at least results in something halfway decent for Adrain and Patrick.

I agree with both of you; to be honest, I don't think I could have said it any better myself. :) Maybe things will finally work out for the betterment of everyone involved. ;)

TOC#60089 DI#132103 MOULa is Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:53 pm 
Obduction Backer

I also hope things will work out, and that we'll finally end up seeing a good Myst movie on the silver screen :)

As already mentioned, a "Myst & Riven"-related movie would be a much better starting point than BoT (but boy, how awesome that book is). Remember, the original Myst fans got hooked into the Myst universe by playing Myst, then reading the books (or played even Riven before reading the books). The moviemakers should also introduce the Myst universe to the audience in a similar way. Of course not a movie based directly on the Myst & Riven games, but maybe on some stories connected the ages of Myst and Riven (as long as it's not directly in conflict with canon). Then, after watching that movie, it would be more natural to be interested in the background story i.e. shoot BoA and BoT.

The priority now is to make a script which can be sold in Hollywood (without direct conflict to the canon). The Myst franchise really needs the commercial success of this movie in order to "live long and prosper" (as Spock would have said). The commercial success would help funding future games, and not to forget.. The Book of Marrim :)

May the Myst franchise live long and prosper
Regards
Øystein Håvard Færder

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:59 pm 
Obduction Backer

I remember thinking that you could tell the two brother's story.

When we first meet them, they are already locked up in their prison ages. What are the exact events that that lead up to that and the burning of the Myst library? We get bits and pieces of it thoughout the games (especially Myst III), but we never really hear the whole story.

I think that it would be an excellent movie, as you would have the growth of two villians (which is always interesting), plus you would be able to include trapping Atrus in K'veer, trapping Cathrine on Riven, and then the trapping of Sirrus and Achenar in their seperate ages.

It would end with flashes of the Myst library and the Red and Blue books, and a voiceover from Atrus lamenting over what had happened. We could even have somebody (no faces shown though) open the library door, open one of the books, and see Achenar or Sirrus say "Bring me the Blue pages." And then credits roll.

You would be able to use Myst heavily, and have an excellent story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:33 am 

Magic88889 wrote:

When we first meet them, they are already locked up in their prison ages. What are the exact events that that lead up to that and the burning of the Myst library? We get bits and pieces of it thoughout the games (especially Myst III), but we never really hear the whole story.

I think that it would be an excellent movie, as you would have the growth of two villians (which is always interesting), plus you would be able to include trapping Atrus in K'veer, trapping Cathrine on Riven, and then the trapping of Sirrus and Achenar in their seperate ages....

That would be a great story, and a great ending... I agree. BUT for the fact it would 'spoil' the first game for movie-viewers & potential new fans, who haven't played it.

Maybe that's too much to hope for, but I was actually thinking that a successful movie would renew interest in the games... and so, ideally, it wouldn't spoil the game for a potential first-time player. A newer audience would walk out of the theater already knowing Atrus is actually alive, neither brother killed him, and neither one can be trusted...which kinda precludes any attempt to sort this out while playing Myst for the first time.

I think it could work, if the movie pushed the idea that ONE of the brothers cannot be trusted--show them fighting with each other, but make it clear Gehn has been in contact with one of them & not reveal which. The movie might conclude with Atrus discovering the burned books, and then recording that 'final message' to Catherine-- "It's one of our SONS! I suspect Achenar, but I shouldn't jump to conclusions...", and then setting out the prison books to Spire and Haven in the Myst library, to try and trap whichever son has burned his books-- we're left with a cliffhanger, wondering which brother has burned the library... ha, ha.

In this way, new movie fans could experience the first game as a continuation of the movie.

But ya never know... might be necessary to assume the movie's target audience isn't much of a gaming crowd.. I dunno...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:54 am 
Obduction Backer

Doing that would be nice, but I think that the movie has to stand on it's own without the games. Plus I don't think most people are going to go play a game from '93 that won't even run on most systems just because they saw a movie, no matter how good it is. They'll be looking for a new game if anything. The Myst universe if so rich, I think it would be a shame to leave anything out.

I think that the movie (hopefully movies) should be an adaptation of the entire franchise. If you do a movie like I suggest, it would include pieces of Myst, Riven, Exile,and even some stuff we learn from Revelations. Most people look to the movie itself for information, and they don't go beyond that. So if you leave information out so as not to spoil the games, or the books, you lose a lot. I think it could make the story hard to follow. Plus I think you would miss out on so many things that would make the movie better if you left those bits out.

With this idea, I was really looking at the game tie-in. I was looking for a compelling story that would be able to feature Myst (which is probably one of the most recognized islands in gaming history), and then set up the beginning of the game.

I've actually suggested this idea before on the mystmove.com site. Some people didn't like it because there was no hero to the story. Evil wasn't vanquished. I personally think that that's a load of stuff. There really isn't any evil in the entire Myst story. All the villains have motivations and real life struggles that cause them to turn out the way that they did. Tragedies are big in theater, so why not a movie? I've seen plenty of movies that don't have happy endings, and I think they are the better for it. A seemingly unresolved ending makes me want more, and I think that if done right, it can send a much stronger message. Plus, if you resolve everything with hugs and kisses, then I feel like the story's over, and I lose interest. I think we need more villain stories, the whole hero rise to power thing is done a lot. I'd like to see the villain rise to power more. Believable villains are so hard to come by today. Most of them are just punching bags for the hero, with no personality other than that they want to kill the hero.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:17 am 
Do BoA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:56 pm 

My problem with BoA, has always been the enormous and rapid leap forward at the end.

There's a lot of time dedicated to Atrus and Gehn, and their conflict, but the entire stretch between Atrus meeting Catherine and the point at which Myst starts is kind of glossed over and sped through.

That span is a 20-year span, roughly, that was not described in much detail, and that is the time when Sirrus and Achenar grew up.

I think BoA ties in very well to Myst and Riven... and if you can fill in the part of the story that leaves out a lot, with a bit more of the other history with Sirrus/Achenar - perhaps the pillaging of Narayan, or some of the stuff we know from Myst, and suggest that the absence of Catherine and Atrus's responsibility for the D'ni survivors, his decision to begin creating a new home for them (Releeshahn) caused Sirrus and Achenar to be largely neglected and left to roam free across the ages unsupervised.

I think the best option for a movie - assuming we aren't going with the BoT first - is BoA, but with the narrative gaps filled in with a bit more of the backstory of Sirrus and Achenar... and Atrus. This presents a fantastic tie-in to the entire Myst series, IMO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:13 pm 
Obduction Backer

The movie will be a success if it is good and has a rich story. Being about Myst will not at all be a path to sucess. Yeah, sure, it may attract people that are familiar with Myst during the few days, then, when they are put off, it all dies.

The movie needs to be primarily about D'ni. Period. The D'ni background history may be (in small) compared to LotR's. People find such rich universes interesting, because of the grandness of everything and the 'history' that people get a glimpse of, so that they know there's more to it. That will interest them for their franchise. And it will give them a completely new perspective to Myst, if they were not familiar with D'ni yet.

D'ni, not Myst.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:29 pm 
You can't really introduce the masses to D'ni just like that.They won't understand what it is, and think, 'How is this Myst? Myst has an island, not an underground city!' You need to introduce it. They'll think, 'Atrus? Oh yes, that guy behind the desk.' when they hear his name in the Cleft, and realise that this is his childhood. And then they'll meet D'ni, and want to know more about it. Cue second film.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:26 pm 

I was once a supporter of BoT movie, but now I think that BoA is THE best movie to start with. It has places and people that old time players will recognize- Myst, Riven, the Star Fissure, Atrus and Catherine. It's a great story, an awesome introduction to D'ni, and they could put flashbacks in the forms of scenes from BoT.

Also I think that there is no need to go further into life in Myst and Sirrus' and Achenar's deeds. That's a different story. The ending at the Star Fissure is mysterious and epic, and the epilogue at the end with young Sirrus and Achenar is just in the place.

I actually think Miyazaki could pull off an awesomeized animated version of BoA, but that's just me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:20 pm 
I would be fully behind an animated BoA, and if possible, be involved. Maybe voice-acting. I still have a decent voice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:03 pm 

Lot of options are put down here. Personaly I prefer a movie based on the books. The intro of the movie could include the intro of the discovery of D'ni written by Richard Watson (RAWA) and the idea of the MYST games but that would be all to relate to cyan involvement of the game MYST.
And i have only one wish as the title of the thread says: The Mysteriacs are at it again!
I believe they deserve it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:41 am 
Obduction Backer

Location: Hanging around with mermaids. And still looking for the elusive Funky Bahro.
Another possibility would be to start off BoT on Myst Island, as Atrus sits down with his (young) sons: "Let me tell you the story of your great-grandmother: my grandmother. I knew her as Anna, but the D'ni knew her as Ti'ana..." (cue opening sequence)

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Magical Mystery TOOO 643784
Institution TOOO 816645
Karaoke TOOO 816776

~and featuring~

Murinna (the mermaid) 2484723
Mallina (the other mermaid) 3015052

Second Life: TOOO Fall

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next