It is currently Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:00 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:21 am 
Obduction Backer

Look at this! Instant Myst apps! You can make a fullscreen web page with this:

http://www.fullscreen.me

And use tanshin's icon. You can also change the name too!

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a398/ ... 1/icon.png

You can also choose a custom splash screen or start screen but I don't have one to provide.

TOC#60089 DI#132103 MOULa is Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:21 pm 
Obduction Backer

I could help with this too. I don't have much experience with iOS development, but I am familiar with Objective C.

Also, I am wondering if Christian would like to mentor some of us while developing the application.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:33 pm 
Obduction Backer

dragossh wrote:
I could help with this too. I don't have much experience with iOS development, but I am familiar with Objective C.

Also, I am wondering if Christian would like to mentor some of us while developing the application.

From the best of my knowledge the only part of an iOS app that's Objective C is the initial coding such as plists and XML files with code. Another thing is the being on a Mac, whoever submits the app to the app store needs a developer account and a Mac. The developer account is around $200 bucks and don't get me started on the price of a Mac. :O

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:17 pm 
Obduction Backer

Trekluver wrote:
dragossh wrote:

From the best of my knowledge the only part of an iOS app that's Objective C is the initial coding such as plists and XML files with code. Another thing is the being on a Mac, whoever submits the app to the app store needs a developer account and a Mac. The developer account is around $200 bucks and don't get me started on the price of a Mac. :O

Actually, I think they start at $100. I have a free dev account, but I don't think you can submit apps that way. I can't check either since the site is down for maintenance.

And definitely don't use that icon, because it stinks :P I'm going to work on that new one today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:48 pm 
Obduction Backer

A few comments to clarify my position:

My scarce available iOS development time is currently allocated to Zik Clock, and when that is done, next up on the priority list is the KI app. I like the idea of a D’ni Encyclopedia app, but it doesn’t excite me quite enough to displace any of these two. This means I won’t be available to do the programming work on this. I am however willing to provide advice and assistance to whoever does it, if needed. If it turns out to be someone who for whatever reason can’t get a Developer Program membership, I might be able to help out with that too.

I am still not convinced that making a web app wouldn’t have a higher chance of success than an App-Store-distributed Cocoa Touch app, seeing as there seem to be more web developers than Cocoa developers in this community, and there would be no requirement for a Developer Program membership. (Plus the option of working on Android as well may get you OHB on board. :)) I’m not familiar with what the offline abilities of iOS web apps are, but apparently belford is and thinks it should work. As a starting point, Dashcode (Apple’s web app IDE that comes with the developer tools) contains templates for making iOS-like web apps. I used that as a base for the look of the Zik Clock web interface.

That said, I expect that actual programming will be the easiest part of this project, as it seems to be more about content than about functionality. Programming with Cocoa Touch is fun and I can only encourage anyone who likes learning new things and thinks they might enjoy it to give it a go. A project like this one could be a perfect occasion. Development tools are free and documentation is ample, all you need is a Mac.

What’s much more work is first designing the app, then making all the graphics. I agree with Kaelis here that the design is something that needs to be done right from the start, otherwise you will have difficulties attracting both contributors and users. As far as graphics goes, the good news is that we have quite a number of talented graphics artists in this community. Now your job, Pokemon, is just to get them so excited about the quality of your project that they can’t resist contributing. You have already landed one success with Tanshin and his icon sketch, which I like very much. (If it turns out to look too complex, you could do away with the picture on the page, but other than that I don’t see a scaling problem.)

pokemon71096 wrote:
I'm guessing Christian doesn't want us to add a pod calculator

Not at all – why should I? I see no pressing need for another one, but if you want to – the more the merrier. As mentioned I wouldn’t even mind if you integrated (parts of) Zik Clock, though making your own original one would of course be preferred.

pokemon71096 wrote:
SORRY I'M TO LAZY TO FIX TE CAPS.

Are you sure this is the attitude that leads to a high-quality app? :twisted:

tanshin wrote:
Also, can you send along some contact info for Christian?

I’m right here and can be contacted by PM, as you figured out, though I prefer e-mail: cwalther gmx ch (insert usual punctuation) – besides what Pokemon said.

dragossh wrote:

Great! If you liked Cocoa (or GNUstep or whatever you used with Objective C), I think you’ll like Cocoa Touch too. Foundation is pretty much the same, and with UIKit taking lessons learned from AppKit they combine to a very well-designed API in my opinion. And yes, I am definitely available for mentoring, time permitting.

Trekluver wrote:

Whoa, lots of inaccuracies here. Objective C is a programming language and has nothing at all to do with data files such as plists or XML files. While you can write the guts of your application in any (compiled) language you like, the OS APIs are in Objective C, so you’ll have to use that at least for the part that interfaces with the GUI (or use some abtraction library or binding that does that for you internally). It’s correct that you need to be an iOS Developer Program member to test on a device and to distribute apps through the App Store or by Ad-Hoc distribution to selected devices. Membership costs $99 per year, not 200. Without it, you can only develop on the simulator. The price of a Mac can be found here and starts in the vicinity of what anyone interested who doesn’t already have one will already have paid for their iOS device.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:11 pm 
Obduction Backer

Great, then! I lol'ed at the cap locks comment :lol:
And tan, glad to here that. Hope it turns well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:39 pm 
Obduction Backer

If we do find that this app does work out (if we decide to develop with xcode rather than web app), we could always split the cost of the full dev account. One of those tech sites I subscribe to (forgot which) mentioned doing this to test pre-release OS versions, so why can't we do it for a community project?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:43 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thanks Christian. My knowledge about it is mostly limited to the editing of plists and JBing. I was always under the impression the the plists and xml stuff told the platform (Objective C) what to do and was written with it. Thanks for the clear up. Oh and I'm looking forward to that KI app! Any time frame till you begin the project?

Last edited by Trekluver on Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:48 pm 
Obduction Backer

tanshin wrote:
If we do find that this app does work out (if we decide to develop with xcode rather than web app), we could always split the cost of the full dev account. One of those tech sites I subscribe to (forgot which) mentioned doing this to test pre-release OS versions, so why can't we do it for a community project?

If Christian was willing we could send him the finished app and he could submit it? I don't think it's such a great idea because someone would have to be the beneficiary of it. Plus the license has to be renewed every year unless the policy has changed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:50 pm 
Obduction Backer

It does have to be renewed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:54 pm 
Obduction Backer

tanshin wrote:
It does have to be renewed.

Then that leaves the option to renew it to the account owner which is an unfair burden. Apple takes any apps from an unrenewed account off the store.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:06 pm 
Obduction Backer

I think a web-app would be less useful for both us and whoever gets to use it. If you want a webapp, Safari is there ready to visit Mystlore, but you can't have that offline. And there are a lot of offline users, like me, who don't have a wireless connection.

It also gives us a good opportunity to learn iOS development and maybe do some other nice apps after we finish this. I've already recommended Tanshin to watch the Developing for iOS (HD) series, they are VERY VERY good. They teach you Objective-C, Cocoa Touch, Foundation classes, graphics, networking, audio, and other stuff I haven't got to yet.

As for OHB, come join us :D I am an Android fan too, we can always do a version for it after.

PS: Mac. There are workarounds for that, I'll point everyone to Lifehacker. EULA breaking, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:12 pm 
Obduction Backer

dragossh wrote:
As for OHB, come join us :D I am an Android fan too, we can always do a version for it after.

Oh, I'm on board. Kinda. I don't have a /lot/ of time to put into it. But I'll offer the ULP's services :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:36 pm 
Obduction Backer

No offense how can the ULP really help?
We're only doing English for now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:44 pm 
Obduction Backer

pokemon71096 wrote:
No offense how can the ULP really help?
We're only doing English for now.

Oh well in that case it won't help at all. :)

But, if you wanna add a spot for chatting to OHBot I'll provide an interface to do that :)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next