It is currently Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:24 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Anybody playing Rift?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:06 am 
Obduction Backer

Just started playing this MMO (got the collector's ed. - it's THAT good!) and I'm loving it. Has anyone else played this game yet?

MOULagain KI #63214
Most fun I had in URU!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:12 pm 

I'm thinking about getting it...

By the way, how are the visuals? I don't mean to sound like that that's the only reason I would get it, but they look like they might be cartoony, and it annoys me when games have cartoony, stylized graphics. Me wants realistic. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:33 pm 

http://www.riftgame.com/en/

not cartoony at all - at least not in the trailer. graphics look pretty darned good, actually.

even tho it's a shoot-em up thing, i might check this one out.

Image ki #101936

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:09 am 
Obduction Backer

Does it have a F2P option?

It seems to be primarily PVP bent. Is that so? I'd perferr a more laid back, causal, cooperative experience like URU.
or a mostly do it yourself style of play with the occasional mandatory cooperative challenge.

also seems like your standard MMO romp. like a mixture of sci fi and fantasy, races, classes, experience and leveling, the like. is it twitch action focused? i bet i'd have issues running it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:56 am 

Enter the Rift Video
In this one the narration is talking about all the nuisances in MMO’s being fixed in this one. It would be interesting to have a feature by feature comparison of the user interfaces.

RIFT - Unveil Trailer
Another trailer.

Rift (New MMO) First Impressions Part 1 – WARNING: Bad Language! So no link, but that is the exact title. It is a 15 min video and you get to see several minutes of character creation and few minutes of fighting. Reviewers thought it very WoW like.

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:24 am 
Obduction Backer

I was in the Rift beta (fairly open, not hard to get an access key). For various reasons I decided not to subscribe, but it's a good game.

Some information,
1. Subscription fees. Rift is not free to play, not microtransaction based, not their business model. After you buy the game (or pay to download it), there might be a 15 day free subscription, but it's basically a monthly subscription. I think it's about $15.00 a month (US dollars), less if you pay for more than a month at a time. It is a world wide release.

2. Graphics are great -- fantastic but realistic. It's a beautiful game.

3. For coverage and videos, I would, as always, recommend Massively. Their MMO coverage tends to be the best. The Rift game website is pretty good too -- http://www.riftgame.com/

4. Is Rift like WoW? Well, yes and no. Let me frame it. Rift is a classic MMORPG with some interesting additions -- think Everquest 2 or World of Warcraft. It doesn't pretend to be something it's not, so you'll see some things carry over, such as how you get your quests, that sort of thing. It's a very polished game. If you've played another MMORPG (Everquest 2, WoW, Lord of the Rings online, Runes of Magic, many others) -- gameplay if going to be familiar to you.

5. Thing unique to Rift -- the rifts in Rift -- these are world wide events, different from things like quests. A rift (in the fabric of the universe) happens, and monsters spill out and, should you choose to do so, you and the people around you fight the monsters and defend the area, otherwise the area you are in might get taken over, NPCs killed, that sort of thing. I'm not sure what happens if you have a quest to turn in and the NPCs are dead - there is a way to continue though. You can also follow the rifts on a map, see where they are happening, and go participate. And you do get rewards for doing this. Remember, MMORPGs are very loot driven.

6. The soul trees -- something else that's Rift does. MMORPGs are all about creating a character, with specific skills and abilities that you add to over time -- magicians, healers, tanks, that sort of thing. With their soul trees, you have a lot of more flexibility in the kinds of characters you want to play and their abilities.

7. Gameplay is classic MMORPG, mostly, with some twists. Like most new MMORPGs, you can solo. PvE (player versus environment) is quest driven, though, as always, you can also make progress by randomly killing monsters. You can solo, also group (traditional grouping, small balanced party at the same level doing something specific, a quest) and raid (larger groups, more structured activity, much harder, takes longer, planning, higher level, that sort of thing) No MMORPG combat that I know of is twitch based -- it's all about using the right skill, at the right time on the right enemy, with the right equipment. MMORPGs tend to be about stats.

8. There is PvP (player versus player) combat, as well as PvE, player versus environment. You never have to PvP if you don't want to -- if you don't flag yourself for PvP, no other player will be able to attack you. I don't know much about how the PvP is implemented, not my focus.

9. As in most MMORPGs, there is crafting -- in the find things or buy things and combine them to make something -- that sort of thing. I don't know much about it.

10. No player housing, yet. I also don't think they have guild halls, yet.

11. There is something neat -- public grouping. As in most MMORPGs, playing is level based. As a certain level, you get to do these kings of quests. You can elect to automatically group with people in your area doing the same quest as you. So -- you all get to kill the monster you need to kill, and all get the reward.

All for now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:23 am 

thanks for the extremely thorough review and explanations, mszv!!

sounds like there's a little bit of something for everyone!

Image ki #101936

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:57 am 
Obduction Backer

wow, thank you kindly. how incredibly enlightening. and thorough. :)

hm.. my take on it though, it's WOW, with a couple additional features to make it a little different. doesn't seem worth fifteen bucks a month i can't afford. not only that, but i wouldn't pay that for any MMO. of course, most MMOs emulate the leading MMO, and the leading MMO is often just the last leading MMO with better technology.

i'd go for F2P Runes of Magic or LotR before I pay 15 bucks a month for another WOW cashin. and in fact, i've been trying, but with 100 hr + est. DL times for their clients, i wonder how *anybody* is playing their servers? :shock: :shock: :shock:

regardless, thanks for such a detailed synopsis. much appreciated :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:37 am 
Obduction Backer

From the little bit I played it, Rift did feel different from WoW, like LOTR feels different from WoW -- the same genre, but different. LOTR (which I haven't played in forever, got to get back, and I did not get far) -- feels the most different, mostly because the classes are kind of different, and there's all that great lore in Lord of the Rings Online.

You know, for people who don't want a subscription and want to play something that is sort of like an MMORPG, though not exactly, you might try Guild Wars. I say "not exactly" because the world is not completely persistent. In the little towns and villages you see other players, but when you go off doing stuff (quest, discovering places) you are in your own instance -- like Uru's private ages. There are lots of Uru folks who play Guild Wars, most at a much higher level than me. Guild Wars is a stunningly beautiful game.

With Guild Wars you can solo everything. For stuff where you would ordinarily need to form a group -- GW has this concept of heroes and henchman, AI characters you can use to fill out your party. I can't comment on the PvP, but the PvE is mostly like that of other MMORPGs, except you can only bring a limited set of skills to an instance (think 8, it's been awhile) and gear doesn't matter all that much.

You can get all three campaigns in Guild Wars for dirt cheap and there is no subscription. From what I've read, there are more people trying out GW because Guild Wars 2 is getting a lot more publicity.

I regard Guild Wars as my "real" game, but I haven't played in awhile. It got to the point where I was going to have to start to pay attention to what I was doing, in game. I'm taking a break from it,to play, oddly enough World of Warcraft. Although no MMORPG is exactly like an other, WoW is good at teaching you the basics of how to play an MMORPG,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:37 am 
Obduction Backer

Yeah, and since (afaik) Guild Wars is still avaliable at retail, that should circumvent the 100 hr. + est. dl times these client downloaders are projecting (with the slowly creeping progress bar to back it up... one, pixle per min :evil: )

I really want to play LotR, and Runes of Magic for that matter... but alas, no :roll:

i've heard great praise in regards to GW though... and, of course, it's not entierly F2P. you pay for the retail copy, but you never pay for it again (no monthly subscription ftw!!) which makes me wonder why other MMOs don't do similar? :?
... it's not that i want free; i'd pay 40 bucks for any game at retail, it's that i don't want to open a drainage plug on my pocket book so that my savings can leak out...

I waited a long time to join URU live, i was tenative about previous releases, and it was worth the wait and i'm happy to be here finally. now it's free!! can't beat that! but, i also missed out on much of the live content which i have routinely lamented

i'll play Runescape for a couple of hours every two weeks or so and i keep everyone on iggy there lol but URU is my first and only serrious MMO and it's quite a unique experience comparied to every MMORPG derivitive that ever was

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:59 am 
Obduction Backer

Main_Avvie wrote:
Yeah, and since (afaik) Guild Wars is still avaliable at retail, that should circumvent the 100 hr. + est. dl times these client downloaders are projecting (with the slowly creeping progress bar to back it up... one, pixle per min :evil: )

Well, yes... and also very much no. =P

GW has had /huge/ content patches since any of the retail stuff has come out. *maybe* getting a campaign+eye of the north might be alright, but you'd still have a massive amount of content to download, still. =P (or the trilogy+eye of the north, for that matter)

So, getting GW downloaded is the hardest part. But GW is pretty awesome. Its getting a bit on the old side, but its still beautiful, and has amazing environments.

For a Sci-Fi MMO, I'd honestly recommend Star Trek Online. If anyone who has tried it and didn't like it and hasn't given it a go in a while, try it again. I've been playing since Open Beta, and it really has improved in leaps and bounds since then. (and on top of that, anyone who hasn't given it a go yet, for the love of yahvo, give it a try, they do indeed have a demo)

Another MMO by the same developer (Cryptic Studios) that I'd also recommend for those of you who ever read comics or love highly customisable characters? Or even if you just like superhero MMOs... Give Cryptic's newly Free to Play "Champions Online" a go. I came in just before it went F2P, and got myself and my fiance a lifer subscription (not kicking myself about that, btw, we get a monthly stipend, and all the features of a "gold" member, to boot, forever.) We absolutely love it. Its fairly stylised, sort of like... well, a comic book. But the "travel powers" and the character customisation /alone/ make it worth a go, and on top of that, its just generally fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:22 pm 
Obduction Backer

Yes, Uru is unique. I've been here since 2003 through all the ups and downs of Uru. I still post on the forums -- nice people, interesting discussions. If Uru ever gets open source, I'll be visiting all the new ages.

But...I don't see much changing, anytime soon, and even when Uru was brand new -- not much to do. So, for those of us who like virtual worlds, we have to go somewhere. I've found that I had to try different kinds of games, if I wanted to be in a virtual world. Second Life is good - the Guild of Healers locales in Second Life -- wonderful and the events are great too! I go to Second Life, but I do need more things to do in my virtual worlds, apart from making stuff like you do in SL. I need more gameplay, I need more of a cohesive world feel, I need some degree of story. I like the newer MMORPGs because, unlike the old ones, you can play solo if you want to, though there's people around. And they aren't twitch gameplay. The biggest challenge I have -- it's not that they are hard, exactly, but there is a lot to learn. You can take it slow, and it helps to not compare yourself to anyone. The good ones get you having a good time in the first fifteen minutes of the game.

On the downloads -- my experience has been that I've generally gotten the games to download, even the big ones (forgot about Runes of Magic, I have that too). Firing them up at night seems to work reasonably well, particularly if the download can restart where it left off.

Thanks for the info on Star Trek Online and Champions Online. I've been thinking about Star Trek Online, particularly since you can play player created missions (think you need a paying subscription, not sure). This is along with all the other content. Also from what I've read content is episodic, missions, stories. How's all that working out kaelisebonrai? I'm also tempted by Champions Online, thinking about the super hero thing.

Awhile ago, someone had a website that listed where everyone went, what they were playing, what server they were on. I don't think it's up to date anymore -- we all drifted away. I haven't found any good place for ex Uru folks to gather and talk about online worlds and games -- though off topic still works here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:58 pm 
Obduction Backer

URU appeals to me...
1.) can't beat the price of admission
2.) it ain't like other MMOs not even slightly

still, URU leaves much to be desired. it's chock full of what could have beens. it's sad, cauze it might not have been that way. even though i'm highly unlikely to ever leave URU, i too am in the market for an afordable online environment. i'd be surprised if i could ever find one like URU though. it's just the bloody barriers for admission. i can't imagine the specs on a rig that would be required to so much as load and install the majority of persistant online multiplayer worlds. URU has been the only game online or otherwise that has actually ran well on my machine and i don't care to invest in a NASA super computer. there is prob no substitute for URU, but even though i think i've found some other worlds to occupy my time...

... i'm locked out :(

technology is a bloody demon :twisted:

if i let a DL run over night i'm sure it would manage completion... but, the state of my households limited net is unclear to me. and i'd hate to lose my thumbs if our IP decides to charge us out the wazoo again for overstepping our alloted data transfer limit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:24 pm 

@mszv
Uru Obsession has a long thread on where players were playing. But, it is somewhat a leave-your-new-address-on-your-way-out kind of thing. So, it is out of date.

Several games have Uru fan communities. I suspect GW is the biggest. SL has about 600 Uru fans. It is hard to know real numbers. One guesses based on group membership in three or four groups.

SL is a collection of games. Numbakulla is one that is/was very Myst like. Crux Isle is an Uru spinoff with a FCAL and explicit references to the Carven and the D’ni. It is a puzzle adventure game. Madpea has a number of puzzle-adventure games. There are also complex role play games like NoR, Toxic, etc., that are a combination of twitch/skill and social alliances. The range of games in SL is pretty wide.

The Devokan Trust, a group of Uru fans, people are writing stories and building worlds in various virtual worlds like OpenSim, SL, and Drizzle/ULM. So, there are a few places where we try to gather Uru fans playing in other worlds.

The WoW, GW, LoTR, and other MMO players tend to form their own Uru fan groups.

At some point when something happens with MOULa, the few players in other world groups, that hang out here, will spread the word into those groups. So, we may be more connected than it appears.

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:12 pm 
Obduction Backer

kaelisebonrai wrote:
For a Sci-Fi MMO, I'd honestly recommend Star Trek Online. If anyone who has tried it and didn't like it and hasn't given it a go in a while, try it again. I've been playing since Open Beta, and it really has improved in leaps and bounds since then.

Oh, what could have been... :evil:

/offtopic

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next