It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:57 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:12 am 
Obduction Backer

InternetExploder.exe... oh wait, wrong explorer... 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:56 am 
Obduction Backer

Deledrius wrote:
Annabelle wrote:
EDIT: I'm looking at my desktop...I have 14 "uru". It's just one game but comes in many flavours!

Old Urus never die, they just get new installations added alongside. ;)

I had upwards of fourteen installs when I was a shard hopping fool back in the UU days. Not counting a couple vanilla stock setups to build all the others from. Then I had half a dozen or so underground ones. I had lots of fun doing it. I’m just now getting back into testin’ & hoppin’. I had my shoulder rebuilt and I am just starting to get back two handed stuff again. wiii

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:37 am 

Ooo thanks so much Lyrositor!!! \^__^/
This poor tormented avvie is now happy, no more banana slip and goofy bending, yey!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:55 am 

Hmm, when i try to run it, i get "not a valid win32 application" - any ideas folks?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:03 pm 

I'm really glad adi is happy :D
Sadly I get an error and couldn't use it.

I'm only a beginner at combos and marker games. But I really feel for my buddies who've been really been affected by this fix - I'm not sure how I can explain just how big an impact this is having on players, to those who aren't regularly in the game.

Today I've read several threads I've found and been pointed to on this topic. And I remember back, after hearing about the deadline for Minkata shard testing, trying to find out what changes were being tested on Minkata to figure out what I could test... I couldn't make heads or tails of half of the updates mentioned.
http://forums.openuru.org/viewtopic.php?f=91&t=761
One of the biggest hurdles for me when told "it's in the forums" is the amount of time and effort required to wade through so many posts, threads and forums and still not understand the ramifications... I'm interested, I want to help, but it's overwhelming.

For myself, I can understand and see the various views and why people are reacting the way they are. I really feel for my buddies in MOULa. I also have an idea of what the programmers must be going through and their point of view. I was in IT for a decade which included both programming and user support - so I got to see and be involved on both sides. And I do now.

That said, I am really quite concerned with the likely hood of losing a large portion of regular players. Yes, we have the other shards... But MOULa is where all beginners come, it has the Cyan brand, it has this nice simple website, its straight forward to figure out how to join, download, install and play... and donate.

If they want to play any other shard... and yes I found the instructions and installers were helpful... first a new player has to find out about them, then learn why they would be interested, and then find it requires several more hoops to jump through to get just one up and running.
BTW we can't port marker games to other shards, not even the nice legit ones that don't rely on glitches.

As I understand it, to play any of the MOULa based shards, you have to keep an up to date copy of MOULa itself - meaning you have to run it and log in, THEN copy its dat folder across to each shard installation every time there's an upgrade.

So what happens if long term players leave and their donations dry up for MOULa?
If it goes :-
No licenses to distribute the dat folder contents (correct me if I'm wrong)
New players to attend the other shards are going to be a lot harder to come by.

I really don't like that prospect, but I see it as a real possibility.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:12 pm 

Ah, the download stalled and i didnt get the full .exe file. Yew - if you are getting "Not a valid win32 Application" like i did, try downkloading it again - it should be about 7 Mb , my first download was only 2Mb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:17 pm 

(Thank Yew ^^)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:11 pm 
Obduction Backer

Yew Aryoo, I'll try to answer your questions and concerns.

First of all, what error? It would be nice to know what it is before I can help you fix it. :)

Next, to test. I'm pretty sure you already found these signup pages, but here they are anyway:
Gehn: http://www.guildofwriters.org/gehn/
Minkata: http://foundry.openuru.org/

If you don't feel like wading through a whole lot of forums posts (and, hey, who can blame you? 8) ), the Guild of Messengers (no, no, this is no shameless plug for my Guild, no way) always stays up-to-date with the other Shards. As an example, here's our Gehn v.9 post and our Minkata Build 4/9/2012 post, both of them clearly listing the changes that were made and how to test for them.

And you're unfortunately correct about MO:ULa. If it goes down now, so does Uru. :( As you say, that is until there is a license for content (which includes the dat and sfx folders).

If you ever see me in Uru, feel free to contact me at any time about this! Saturdays at 19:00 KI Time, I host a Q&A on open-source in the OpenUru.org Hood. I can point you in the right direction for testing, tell you what needs to be checked, etc. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:20 am 

Thanks Lyrositor :)
I'll sort out the program later, its just a missing DLL. I joined TOC, Gehn, Minkata and Deep Island earlier this year. And thank you for the links again, I came across them when I was reading the other threads and forums. I appreciate your help.

My main point:
If changes are made to the game whatever the reasons pros and cons and goals aside;
and as a result a good portion of the regular players leave for other shards along with their donations;
and Cyan no longer has the funds to continue;
then no more MOULa anywhere.
End of the road. After that, its all moot.

As I said, I can see this from both points of view, but it reminds me of a scene in "The Right Stuff"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-qEmmpG ... re=related

:shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:52 pm 
Obduction Backer

Well remember also that Cyan is paying for MO:ULa per the gigabyte, so if there are less people on MO:ULa, there'll be less demand on the servers, and costs should go down. So I'm not entirely sure that Shards would cause the end of Uru right now. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:02 am 

Because after the update announcement there's been a lot of fuss in game..

Lyrositor, do you mind sharing a new download link for your client? I gather since the license issues are resolved, distribution can resume again in the open, right? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:38 am 
Obduction Backer

I am waiting for the Foundry build service to correct a bug - once that's resolved, downloads should be able to resume. However, you might have to wait for the new update to get it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:08 pm 

Ooops sorry I missed the part about the update being applied any day now :oops: .
At least let's keep this topic alive until then. There are many explorers that had no idea that we have the option to carry on without the update. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:40 pm 

Another thing I missed is the locked thread about the upcoming update.

So, according to this post, the new version of the so-called "skydiving" client may or may not be released.. And probably won't be released, did I understand correctly?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:20 pm 
Obduction Backer

Not probably... but it may not be. It depends on whether or not there are personal or technical complications (and also on how soon Cyan releases the update).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next