It is currently Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:29 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:48 am 

I've tried Windows 8 on several hardware configurations, and I have no problem with it whatsoever.

I'm not sure what all the griping is about. Though, I think desktop users don't like it because most of them are probably using an old-school bar-of-soap style mouse. I always use a graphics tablet or a trackball, which makes using Windows 8 on a desktop just fine since you can zip the cursor around with far less effort.

Traditional mice seriously bork up my wrist. I can't use them for extended periods of time...

>_O Personally, I think Windows 8 is fine. It works just as well as Windows 7, if not with better performance, and it still runs the same stuff.

The one thing I do like about Windows 8, is that searching seems to give instantaneous results. Searching from the start menu in Windows 7 is pretty much worthless to me, because I can usually find something faster than it takes for the stupid thing to come up with results.... ...and that goes for any pre-Windows 8 search.

The graphical stuff is fine to me, though, I think it's just that I never really have any problem adapting to graphical interfaces.

I've read tons of commentary on Windows 8, and I find it all hilarious.

Everyone apparently wailed and moaned when the start menu was introduced, now they're doing the same because it's gone. o_o

Some people actually try to make the case that Windows 7 is beautiful, while Windows 8 is ugly. o_o Seriously, there's nothing beautiful about Windows 7. There never was. o_o I have never actually seen a beautiful operating system. They do not exist.

People keep saying "kindergarten" for some reason. o_o As if every single GUI in an operating system these days isn't bouncy and cute.

Some people seem to think Windows 8 is visually jarring or something. Some people even say it interferes with their workflow. o_o I don't see how this is possible. I'm fairly sure these people are just being bitter because something in a computer program is slightly different. People do this all the time. It mystifies me. I think there are just a lot of people who navigate graphical interfaces by memory, rather than by trying to make sense of the visual and informational hierarchy of the environment.

o_o Windows 8 is fine. Everything is fine. See:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3qkbc28R_I

But, for the record, I don't really care all that much. What does interest me is how weird people can be about this stuff. Much to the point that I'm just fascinated by all the Windows 8 chatter I see.

~Joey Gonklefonk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:52 am 
This is why I lag 10 years behind everyone else. I get to ignore such discussions about the latest tech.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:01 pm 

DLordofTime wrote:
This is why I lag 10 years behind everyone else. I get to ignore such discussions about the latest tech.

O_O Yew know it!

*highest of fives*

~Joey-Joey Jonklefonkle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:31 pm 

"What was that Mr Jobs?"
"Something about taste?"

:P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:37 pm 
Obduction Backer

Windows 8 Killed my dog.

I find the interface to be annoying. Why are they trying to make a tablet OS part of their PC platform? Also, since I'm a gamer I don't like Windows 8 because every game will have to run in a built in emulator, as opposed to XP or win 7 running games by themselves. Backwards compatibility is questionable too. How far can you go back? Windows 7 64 bit.

If I want a touchscreen I'll get a tablet. But you can't do proper PC gaming on a tablet. I'll be skipping this like I did Vista.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:59 pm 
Obduction Backer

I think what'll happen is 8 will be used for tablets and such, those platforms it's heavily being pushed for, and thus the rewrite of apps since you need to make it work for a tablet interface and so on.
The rest of us will stick with 7. Microsoft will say they're going to phase it out, then never quite get around to it for a while as they delay until they finally announce Windows 9 or whatever they call it, which has a reworked interface and compatability but the core may or may not be much the same. They'll sell it, it'll be good, and 8 will become a quietly dropped thing. Much like say how XP was persisted cause no one wanted Vista, then when 7 came out it was good and Vista became the 'also existed'.

I have to admit, i it wasn't for the fact that I play a number of games, I'd be on linux already. Games are the only thing I actually have that isn't already open sourced or including a linux port of one flavour or another. Even the hardware on this machine is open enough to include *nix drivers.

But until then, I'll stick with 7 thank you. It's what vista should have been, and I admit I kinda got the hang of aero.. I wish it'd say what those icons on taskbar are, but the ability to get a quick-peek of a window, the stacking to save clutter, and the quick desktop on the right.. all very very good features (although I don't like the transparency, but that's why the slider can put opacity to 100%)

MOULa KI: #00027582 #7425022
100% Authentic Gondar! Accept no substitutes, imitations, or knock-offs!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:08 pm 
Obduction Backer

Alien wrote:
i've found (and tbh, this was pointed out to me) that every alternate Windows OS is good :
Win 98 - good
Win 2000 / ME - bad
Win XP - good
Win Vista - bad
Win 7 - good

sorry, alien, I can't completely agree. Win 98 was quite OK, I had some hard times using Win ME but loved Win 2000 when I had the chance to try it for audio recording sessions. stable, powerful (don't try to use it today on actual hard drives sizes as there's no quick format function or prepare to spend the whole day to prepare it :lol: ). i still have XP (very happy with it) on my main computer because of lack of drivers for some devices and got 7 recently on a new laptop. A question now. why are Vista and 7 (less but still happens) sometimes freeze (you get a milky and translucent screen) and then you get control again? (when i talk about that, everyone is laughing at me but...). about transparency, i also had to remove it. made some areas impossible to read because of background.

And about the new ways to have a desktop, i have to say that i disabled a lot of (cough, sorry...) unneeded stuff on 7. i just can't think of how will win8's desktop look like.

oh well... we'll see

Membre du quartier Mystpedia - KI 9392
Alts : EG Jan (gone) / Sleeper Jan KI (coming soon)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:49 pm 
Obduction Backer

I used Windows 2000 on an old Pentium (166MHz) and was quite pleased with it. I also never had any problems with Vista--I would wager the people who did use it and have complaints were victims of poor driver support from peripheral manufacturers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:17 pm 

o_o I have to say I'm looking forward to a portable, tablet-ish machine with Windows 8 and a built-in Wacom digitizer and stylus.

o_o I mean, with the pre-existing art software support, I'm wondering if it could be a sort of Cintiq-style thing, but a full computer...

o_o And the Windows 8 UI rocks. Oh, those live tiles.

~Joey Tilesetter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:25 pm 
I'll just say that an OS that supports the Myst games in CD form is automatically better than those that don't. Ha, face the awesome power of my logic!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:42 pm 

DLordofTime wrote:
I'll just say that an OS that supports the Myst games in CD form is automatically better than those that don't. Ha, face the awesome power of my logic!

^_^ Windows 8 supports mounting ISOs natively, I think...

o_o I'm really curious as to whether I could convert my old game CDs into ISOs and run them in Windows 8... ...'cause pretty much everything that can run in 7 will run in 8...

~Joey Foobreakfastbar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:19 am 
Let me reword that. Windows XP is the best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:49 am 

DLordofTime wrote:
Let me reword that. Windows XP is the best.

Mmmmm... Check Please! ^_^

~Jake the Zoonishii

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:51 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

From the BBC News website: Valve boss Gabe Newell calls Windows 8 a 'catastrophe'

The main complaint seems to be that by including Microsoft's own Windows Store it'll undermine the viability of Valve's Steam (and other online software marketplaces). I don't claim to know the merits in this but I can envisage a similar kind furore as the bundling of Internet Explorer within Windows caused in European legal circles which ultimately led to the enforced "Browser Choice" update. The fact that it seems that on ARM based machines, Windows Store will be the only means of obtaining downloaded software (I'm not quite sure how that could be enforced, though) is bound cause a reaction, if only to spur people into "jailbreaking" the OS.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:11 pm 
Obduction Backer

Mac_Fife wrote:
The fact that it seems that on ARM based machines, Windows Store will be the only means of obtaining downloaded software (I'm not quite sure how that could be enforced, though) is bound cause a reaction, if only to spur people into "jailbreaking" the OS.

iOS anyone? :D

I personally think Windows 8 will do well on most handheld mobile devices, but I've yet to form an opinion on it's functionality on Intel based PC devices. Microsoft has traditionally not been very good at forwards compatibility, so I'm taking all news concerning the PC version with a grain of salt until I get some hands on time.

TOC#60089 DI#132103 MOULa is Image

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next