It is currently Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:41 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: Windows 8
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:53 pm 
Obduction Backer

Wife runs win 8 on laptop ( I detest the layout ) and wont be using that on Desktop.
Is version 8.1 free to those who have win 8 or will it cost an arm and a leg ? The only reason I ask is that I believe the new version is reinstating the start button.

Also,I downloaded Ubuntu on an old p.c. but found it to be slow and glitchy ( it does recommend installation on a newer machine ) . Before I consider this I wondered if anyone had taken the plunge and tried it on an up to date p.c. ? Is it any good.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:51 pm 

Windows 8.1 is completely free for those that have Windows 8.

I've installed it already. I fiddled the OS to force the opening on the desktop instead of the Metro screen. It's now possible with 8.1.

I don't have a touchscreen (as I hate seeing fingerprints on a screen, reason why I just hate every "touchscreen" devices) so the Metro interface is completely useless for my needs.

I still prefer 7 over 8.1 :lol: but it's no more a big deal like it was for 8 (I never liked '8'). For my other PCs (home, office), I'm with 7 and I won't migrate for 8.1 :wink: .

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:50 pm 
Obduction Backer

Annabelle wrote:
I don't have a touchscreen (as I hate seeing fingerprints on a screen, reason why I just hate every "touchscreen" devices) so the Metro interface is completely useless for my needs.

Same here. When I was hunting for a tablet to make my life at College easier, I specificly looked for one with a pen so I wouldn't have to put my fingers on the screen.

tumblr: kaththedragon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:17 pm 
Obduction Backer

I'm fine with 8. My main desktop is 8.1, because I found a great deal on a refurb with 8, and I went ahead and upgraded to 8.1. The "start" button is no great thing, and I really miss the Windows Experience Index. I know a lot of people more knowledgeable than me thought of it as useless, but I found it very helpful at times.

At first I about had a heart attack because it looked like Microsoft was going to force me to sign in with an account to use the system after I upgraded, but it turns out you just select that you want to use another account, and THEN you get an option to go on without signing in. I feel that is a low down sneaky way to force users to register with them.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:44 pm 
Obduction Backer

I was glad they removed the useless Start button with 8 and was very disappointed to find a useless button on my taskbar after the 8.1 upgrade. The rest of the 8.1 is a good polish update on what was an already solid OS release.

I understand that some folks are a bit freaked out by the Microsoft account thing, but keep in mind the big picture... MS is advocating "one Windows" on all your devices. So, by using my Microsoft account, I have the same customization options synced to both of my PCs and my Surface.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:59 pm 

AdamJohnsos wrote:
I have the same customization options synced to both of my PCs and my Surface.

Ok that sounds cool!

Being signed into your MS account sounds useful, my Android is singed into my google account all the time and this lets me see new chats and emails instantly as well as intently get apps from the goodle store.

I forgot to return to the thread.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4