It is currently Mon May 25, 2020 6:26 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:29 pm 
Obduction Backer

I'm just part-way into exploring The Five Cores' various areas, but nowhere near understanding what to do yet!

I can say that it's worth the <US$10 - Neebla has put a lot of work into this, some excellent modeling and texturing and real-time lighting, appropriate sound effects, and of course Turjan's mournful music. Seems like a lot of territory to discover, overall.
Something Myst-like, indeed!

On my machine (an older dual-core with a low-end Quadro card rather than a gaming card), the game renders twitchily, the Unreal engine putting out five to ten FPS depending on the environment. That doesn't make it unplayable, though. I'm sure a modern gaming card would give smoother FPS.

And a warning: the installation seems to mandate fresh installs of .Net framework, Visual Studio, and Direct X, with a forced reboot after the .Net install. Close down any work before installing The Five Cores!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:38 pm 
Obduction Backer

I downloaded it and have been in to have a look. . .definitely not Myst, it but is pretty! Haven't found any clues to lead me in the right direction either Emor. . .which is why I say NOT Myst. . . I didn't spend a lot of time in it yet and won't really have time right away, but I'll give it another try when I have more time to allow. It runs pretty smooth so far on my machine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:08 pm 
Well, that's my weekend planned out for me...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:29 pm 
Obduction Backer

I played for awhile, but only got to 2 or 3 islands. No instructions on how to exit, save, etc. Had to force-close window. Interested to see how it plays out. Oh, $9.25 US.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:09 pm 
Obduction Backer

I finally got around to download the game and explored for a while ... It runs smoothly
and fluently on my computer by now, and as most of you I couldn't figure out where
to start yet ... There is so much to explore and to activate and thus to find out and
to coordinate all the clues for the correct order etc. etc. ... Wow!!! What a challenge! ... :P

This is not Myst, and I didn't expect and wanted Myst as I have it already lol, but it is
something very similar to Myst and Riven, the quality is great, it is developed under UDK,
the Unreal Developer's Kit game engine, it is 3D, you can walk around everywhere as you
wish and from what I've seen and experienced so far they've integrated many familiar but
also great new ideas of activations, transportation etc. ...

Rik, you don't have to force-close the game, just use Esc to get the menue for 'Save, Load,
Resume or Quit' ... Unfortunately there are only three save slots ... :)

The idea and story are nice and I've seen the child already, and I love Turjan's music, of course ...
Yeah, I'd say this will be an interesting and challenging journey ... Many Kudos to the developers ... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:34 pm 
Obduction Backer

thanks, janaba. I didn't think of ESC. sheesh. The movement isn't fluid on mine, just a little bit mean person/people. I found the child, too, then was whisked away to another island before I could do anything besides flip that big power switch. Since I didn't save, I'll be starting over anyway. I found a book of islands, but too fuzzy for good maps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:51 am 
Obduction Backer

Well? Is there or is there not a mac version?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:57 am 
Obduction Backer

I also had no clue on how to navigate, save etc. I ended up using the F1 key looking for a help screen and instead I turned off all the textures leaving the wire grid only. It was fascinating but made the gameplay even more confusing. I never could figure how to turn the textures back on and had to force quit to restart the game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:53 am 
Obduction Backer

I don't think it's available for Mac.
http://neeblagames.com/games/hypnosis/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:56 pm 
Obduction Backer

Rik wrote:
I don't think it's available for Mac.
http://neeblagames.com/games/hypnosis/

Well that kinda sucks... :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:06 pm 
Obduction Backer

Ahlisendar and all 'Maccies' lol, just wait until Ainia has tried to set this up under 'Wineskin',
or even try to set it up yourself with this or any Windows emulator tool ... :D

And Henry Mikel and all, don't forget to try everything out ... it all works almost as
in Uru and most games ... jump with the spacebar, run with the Shift key, use the
up and down, right and left cursors for moving in all directions ... with a and d you
can strafe right and left ... Better do not use F1, as HenryMikel already mentioned,
as you'll end up in the Matrix or grid of the game lol and have to force quit and start
again ...

Maybe we should be patient, they seemed not to think about the consequences of
releasing a game for many people that would require to set up a proper platform for
them to ask for help and to report bugs etc. ...

I've mentioned this on their website and today they've posted a request to send them emails
directly for support or any issues for now ... Yeah, that is it so far ... They have to take care
for themselves, I'm not their manager lol ... I'm going to just enjoy the game as everybody else ... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:38 pm 
Obduction Backer

My video card isn't up to their video requirements. I'm running a Radeon HD 5450, so I've had to dial down some of the options, and it's still a litle mean person/people on fullscreen. It seems to be rather massive in scope of layout, but so far some of the mechanicals are not up to Myst standards. The feel of being in exotic locations, exploring and wondering what to do next is still a lot like Myst. Not sure yet what are the "five cores" in the title. Do you think we should set up a topic for gameplay questions and answers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:10 pm 

Seriously! I can't believe it! I have the same card! What are the system requirements? Can you run it smoothly at 720P?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:23 pm 
Obduction Backer

Not sure about the 720p, but it has several video settings.

System Requirements :

Minimum :
■PC WINDOWS XP or higher
■DirectX 9.0c
■2.0+ GHz dual-core processor
■NVIDIA 8000 series (or equivalent)
■Shader Model 3 compatible video card
■2 GO RAM
■600 MO disk space

Recommended :
■PC WINDOWS XP or higher
■DirectX 9.0c
■2.0+ GHz multi-core processor
■NVIDIA GTX 460 (or higher)
■Shader Model 3 compatible video card
■2 GO RAM
■600 MO disk space

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:20 pm 

Wow! That is a pig of a game for an adventure game(which normally seem to have lower requirements). The disk requirements are prity good though assuming MO is typo of MB.(otherwise I don't know what 600 MO of disk space is :)). I may have confused you with the 720P suggestion but what I meant was check and see if you can run the game at 1280 * 720 or lower, is this is something I often have to do to get games to play smoothly.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next