It is currently Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:54 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:46 pm 

Homeland Security has declared Java a major security risk - top risk Identity Theft and that there are sites right now that can do that. It has advised all computer users to disable Java on their computers. You can check this with a google on the topic.
I have JAVE disabled and MOUL seems to work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:15 am 
Obduction Backer

I'm not sure about Homeland Security, but Mozilla and Apple are blocking several versions of Java 7 for a zero-day exploit. I will reiterate my previous posts here: Java is a slow, inefficient security hole. If you have Java installed, please uninstall it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:19 am 

Is it only for Java 7? I have Java 6 on my PC instead

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:34 am 
Obduction Backer

Only Java 7 is affected by this exploit (as far as I know)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:48 am 

Ok thx :D IT services in my workplace told us not to install it on home PCs I think this is why I never migrate but I wanted to make sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:12 am 
Obduction Backer

This topic should be stickied. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:41 am 
This is the US, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:20 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/01/ ... S320130111

Personally, I probably wouldn't go quite as far as Adam suggests and remove Java completely (I have some key business applications I need to use that depend on it), but I'd certainly avoid Java 7 for time being. I suspect what we're seeing is Oracle's lack of rigour over something that isn't revenue generating compared to when Sun were the custodians (and don't set rarified off on Sun vs Oracle ;)).

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:45 pm 
Obduction Backer

I'm wondering what Java might be good for anyway ... I was just 'googeling' this
and couldn't find anything plausible ... Most of us, like me too lol, are carrying this
with us over the years without knowing why ... That doesn't mean that I don't think
about what I'm doing and why lol, that's why I always thought and considered it to be
necessary and useful for the beautiful and magical stuff on the internet, which I love lol,
as well as for some applications needing it to be able to run at all, as Mac mentioned
above ... do not apllications like the 'D - - - - - -' word eh prog lol need this too? ... :P

So what??? What should we do about this again and again Java fuss or hoopla? ...
I'm asking for a professional advice, considering the above mentioned aspects to
further use it, in case that was at all the case as maybe falsely assumed or believed ... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:58 pm 
Obduction Backer

Mac_Fife wrote:
Personally, I probably wouldn't go quite as far as Adam suggests and remove Java completely (I have some key business applications I need to use that depend on it),

If you wish to go back to version 6, after uninstalling version 7, you can find it here:

http://www.java.com/en/download/manual_v6.jsp

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:35 pm 
Obduction Backer

Most users do not need Java or only occassionaly. So uninstalling it should be fine. If you ever need it again, you can reinstall it. As janaba mentions, if anyone uses D......, then you need Java. As said above, you can downgrade if you take the risk seriously.

However, the claim that Java is a major security risk is extremely exaggerated. I find it laughable. At the very least, there is a security risk in the current version. Java has been a very popular programming language and is even taught at most universities in Computer Science curricula. The discredit that Java receives is not justified.

If Java is a major security risk according to US standards, than I'm surprised that for instance previous versions of Internet Explorer had never been banned...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:32 pm 
Obduction Backer

Unlike Java, Internet Explorer receives timely updates from Microsoft in a standard and secure manner. Java, on the other hand, has had known issues go unpatched for months under Oracle's stewardship. This and its sheer popularity make it a huge security security risk. Thankfully, despite Java's popularity, home users really have no use for it unless they actively play Minecraft

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:22 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

janaba1 wrote:
I'm wondering what Java might be good for anyway ...

Probably not a whole lot, and if you do need it for something then you probably know about it.

Some web based applications (as opposed to web sites) rely on Java to add client-side functionality with platform independance and without the need to install a client application. An example is the Teamcenter product data management suite from Siemens - not something many people will need to use at home.

Some stand-alone applications also use Java in order to be platform independant, like the yED chart editor and ArgoUML software modelling tool. However, it's rare that any of these will demand that you use the latest version of Java.

I tend to find, as Adam noted earlier, that these Java based applications are frequently slow and "clunky"; I think there are better, more modern ways of achieving the same objectives that Java originally set out to do.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:36 pm 
Obduction Backer

AdamJohnso wrote:
Thankfully, despite Java's popularity, home users really have no use for it unless they actively play Minecraft

There are a few of us that indulge ourselves into crossword puzzles which seem to like Java to bring it to us..

Two examples: http://www.bestcrosswords.com/bestcross ... /Home.page
and: http://www.suntimes.com/lifestyles/crossword/index.html

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:46 pm 
Obduction Backer

Didn't this just happen a few months ago... ?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next